• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking Forward: Tribute to the Distraction: Outlook and speculation from a lifelong

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Looking Forward: Tribute to the Distraction: Outlook and speculation from a lifelong die-hard

This week I’m paying tribute to parts of the Pokémon games that many never play. That’s right; I’m talking about the side competitions: Pokémon Contests, Pokéathlons, and the newly revealed Pokémon Musical. Many will object to the first sentence of this article, they have their fans, and even the anime pays tribute to them in spectacular fashion. At the same time though, how many players only bothered with PokéBlocks and Poffins long enough to max out Feebas’s beauty stat and never touch a Dry-flavored Berry again?

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Looking Forward: Tribute to the Distraction: Outlook and speculation from a lifel

Agreed with everything!!

One thing I don't like with the side-quests is that...they're just too hard!! :-(

Though a friend of mine recently got EVERY SINGLE RIBBON in Platinum... with Mew alone. :-S

Re: Looking Forward: Tribute to the Distraction: Outlook and speculation from a lifel

I love these articles. :ksmile: I was forced to skip Gen III, since I didn't have a GBA and the funds for games, so I didn't find out about the contests until I stole my then-bf's copy of Platinum when we went away for a weekend. I Could. Not. Stop. Playing. That's actually how I found Bulbapedia- I searched which accessories did what, and ended up here. So I can actually say contests changed how I play the games.

I've always found the dancing/aerobicsy games to be my favorite. And yeah, Pokemon + flyleaf? YES PLEASE.

So as an admitted minigame addict (Professor Layton, anyone?) I can say with full enthusiasm- I CAN'T WAIT FOR MUSICALS! :drool:

The contests are actually nice for me, because it has some strategy involved to get more appeal, so I like that. As for the musicals, I really hope they implement some strategic gameplay into it, because I want to be able to win at least something out from it by being able to do well in something.

In Gen III, I would play contests for hours using my Blaziken. In D/P, contests were meh. The Pokeathalon in Hs/SS were fun.

RSE Contests > DPPt Contests.

Just putting it out there.

I'm glad that there are at least a few minigames; if nothing else they offer a quick change of pace if you want to play Pokemon but don't feel like level grinding or something.

I haven't gotten into the Super Contests in Platinum (yet), but I do enjoy digging in the Underground for treasure. (Does that count as a minigame?) And the Pokeathlon is fun in short bursts; I'm just not very good at it.

I agree with others in saying Hoenn contests were better, the Sinnoh complicated things too much, with the three judges and what not. I liked the Pokeathlon. It was a lot of fun, and cough manlier cough. My once complaint with all of them is that I don't want to raise new stats and spend more time perfecting my Pokemon to be good at these games. It should require the user's skill only.

I agree with others in saying Hoenn contests were better, the Sinnoh complicated things too much, with the three judges and what not. I liked the Pokeathlon. It was a lot of fun, and cough manlier cough. My once complaint with all of them is that I don't want to raise new stats and spend more time perfecting my Pokemon to be good at these games. It should require the user's skill only.

I disagree with Hoenn contests being better, but I agree with the Pokeathalon being somewhat "manlier" and the use of new stats being a hassle. Personally, I like the Pokeathalon and feel "Meh" twoards contests, but they can be fun on occasion. Hopefully the Pokemon Musical will be the same.

Also, great article.

I'm going to ignore this and discuss Famitsu's review of Black and White.

Great article. I may be one of the people who says "meh" to minigames, but I can appreciate all the work put into them.

Great article! :3

But seriously, what's with the hate for Sinnoh's contests? I thought they were slightly better than Hoenn's. I just liked that they were more complicated than before.

I just miss screwing over other people's Pokemon in Emerald...

I just wanna say that I love the bits with Flyleaf. I think they sound great, and it would be awesome if we could use our own music for the Musicals. xD

I surely will miss the Pokeathlon. It was a GREAT time consumer and incredibly addictive.

Won't miss [Super] Contests that much though. >.>
Hopefully the Musicals won't be a letdown.

I liked Contests ok... I was never all that great at them though... but I LOVED how they were utilized in the anime.

Let's hope Pokemon Musicals translate to Pokemon flavoured episodes of "Glee" in the anime.

I remember I disliked the Pokethlon idea at first..but then I did it and loved it. I'm sure the same will happen with the musical<3

Let's hope Pokemon Musicals translate to Pokemon flavoured episodes of "Glee" in the anime.

Pure, unfiltered Win right here.

I like the idea of the side games like Contests, Musicals, and Pokethelon, and I hope contests make a big and different comeback for gen 6. Personally I think battles and contests should be more intertwining, and Ruby and Sapphire had a good idea: rather than giving us more badges to find (which is really more of the same, and will feel as such if we ever got to see it again) give us a whole different way to use the pokemon we have. I just think Contests need to be developed even more to give players incentive to become contest masters over or as well as pokemon masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom