• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Love and Support

Reaction score
Short n' sweet. Takes place just before Ash's battle with Grant. He learns that someone he knows isn't feeling good, and immediately calls her to find out what he can do to help.

--

Ash and friends had reached Cyllage City, where Ash hoped to win his second Badge from the local Gym Leader, Grant. They were resting up at the Pokémon Center first though, and Ash had taken the opportunity to call Professor Oak before his battle.
“So, you’ve seen Grant battle before?” Oak asked.
“Yeah,” Ash confirmed. “That Onix of his sure is powerful, especially with its Rock Tomb. But I do have the Water-type Froakie to count on, as well as a new move I learned in a recent encounter with a Skrelp. I’m feeling pretty confident.”
“Good to hear!” Oak said. “I wish you luck in your battle! Now, before I forget, your mother wants a word. Shall I go and get her, or will you call her back?”
“Get her for me, please,” Ash replied. He held the wire while Oak left. Around a quarter of an hour later, his mom came onto the screen. “What was it you wanted to talk about?” he asked her.
“Your friend Dawn called me,” Delia answered. “She’s feeling a bit sad and she’d like to talk to you.”
“Right,” Ash said. “I’ll give her that call without delay.” After getting a number to call from his mom, he said goodbye to her and hung up. He then called the number he’d been given. Dawn answered, and she did indeed look sad. “Hi,” Ash said, as sympathetically as he could. “So, what’s the matter?”
“Mom’s had a heart attack,” she explained. “When I heard, I pulled out of the Hoenn Grand Festival to go to her. According to her, she was doing her shopping one evening and just after she’d finished loading it into her car, her chest hurt and it was like she had to breathe through a straw. Someone else in the car park called an ambulance and she was taken to the hospital. When I got there, she had some scans done – she didn’t want to have them without me there. She had an ultrasound scan, a chest X-ray, and a CT. The scan results showed she had mitral valve stenosis. That means one of the valves in her heart doesn’t open as far as it should, and not as much blood can get through, meaning her heart has to work harder to pump blood around her body. It was the exertion of lifting her shopping into her car trunk that triggered the heart attack. Anyway, the doctors recommended she have the valve surgically replaced with an artificial one, so that’s what she’s having done. As you can imagine, this hasn’t been easy on me.”
“Yeah, I can imagine how you must have felt,” Ash said in a soft, kind tone. “You must have been petrified you might lose her when you heard she’d had a heart attack, and even when you found out she was alright, you still didn’t know why she’d had the heart attack. It could have been something serious, and I doubt all those scans helped. And when you found out she had to have her chest cut open… well, it won’t be easy for anyone when a loved one has to go under the knife.”
“It certainly isn’t,” Dawn agreed. “I know modern doctors know what they’re doing, but still, sometimes things can go wrong even for them. I knew I couldn’t diagnose Mom or treat her, or do anything besides trust the doctors, but I also knew what I could do was make it easier for myself by talking to as many people as I could about Mom’s condition. I started with my Pokémon – none of them were happy to hear it. Then I talked to Izzy and Cara, then Professor Rowan. After that, I started talking to some more people. All let me know their thoughts were with me.”
“Hey Ash!” Ash heard Clemont call. “Who are you talking to over there?”
Dawn covered her mouth with one hand. “That voice…” she said. “I feel like I recognise it, though I don’t know where from. Who is that?”
“Clemont,” Ash answered. “One of my new friends along with his little sister Bonnie and Serena.” He then turned to Clemont and answered his question. “Clemont, I’m talking to one of my old friends, Dawn, if you want to say hi.”
“I’d love to,” Clemont said. He came over. “Hello Dawn. Good to meet you.”
“Good to meet you too,” Dawn replied.
Clemont tilted his head. “Strange… I could have sworn I’ve heard your voice somewhere… but where? Oh, never mind, I’ll leave you two to your conversation.” He went and sat back down with Bonnie and Serena.
Dawn went on from where she left off. “So, as I was saying, I’ve been talking to a lot of people about what’s been going on with Mom. Lots of them sent me their love and support, like Brock, Barry, Reggie, May and Kenny, who even said he hopes they don’t accidentally replace Mom’s heart with a baked potato while they’re fixing her up. Zoey also sent me this big card that she’d gotten Candice, Mr Honcho, Jeremiah, and everyone at the Trainer School to sign, and do you remember my old best friend Leona? Well, she actually had her dad drive her over, gave me a big hug and offered to stay and keep me company while Mom’s in the hospital. I took her up on that. Wasn’t it kind of her?”
“It was,” Ash agreed. “I’ll keep you in my thoughts too, and send you a hug of my own. I wish I could give you a real one, but I’ll just have to do it when I see you face-to-face. If you ever want to talk to me, I’m here and you can write or phone. I’ll go to you anytime, even if I have to interrupt a battle. I’ve been travelling in the Kalos region and caught Froakie and Fletchling. I only have one Badge so far, but I’m ready to battle for my second against Grant, a Rock-type Gym Leader.”
Dawn smiled. “Thanks so much for your kind words, Ash. I’m glad we had that talk, and I also liked hearing about your latest adventure. You know I always want to hear, whatever life is doing to me, and I feel so honoured to have someone who cares for me as much as you do. The people I talked to before you were all so understanding and sympathetic, but even with all of them, there’s been something that’s just been missing. I thought I’d get that by talking to you, and I was right. With all the support I’ve been getting, I just know I can get through this. Good luck in your battle with Grant. Mom’s having her operation on Tuesday, so check back the day after that to find out how it went – not that there’s a time when I don’t like hearing from you. As long as you stick with it, I’ll stick with you, so best of luck in Kalos and no need to worry about a thing.”
“Thanks, Dawn.” Ash smiled and hung up. He’d never felt more rewarded than he did now, having provided his best friend with the emotional support she needed to get through a difficult time, and he was looking forward to going head-to-head with Grant for his second Badge more than ever.

Can anyone see what I did with Dawn and Clemont recognising each other's voices? Or what Kenny said about the doctors replacing Johanna's heart with a baked potato?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom