• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

LT Weekly Poll #1 Are the original 151 the best?

Are the original 151 the best?

• They are the very best, like no one ever was.

Votes: 50 29.6%
  • They all look the same to me.

Votes: 59 34.9%
  • No way! The newer Pokémon are way better!

Votes: 60 35.5%

• Total voters
Honestly, anyone who thinks they look good need their eyes checked. As for the competitiveness, I don't know, since I don't play, competitively.

Well, they had many excellent ones (Gengar, Nidoking, Gyarados, Arcanine, Scyther etc....)

But every generation have their batch of "good" and "not as good" Pokemon (although GenIV had more of the latter IMO).

Honestly, anyone who thinks they look good need their eyes checked. As for the competitiveness, I don't know, since I don't play, competitively.

It's subjective, and there is nothing wrong with thinking the Generation I designs are good.

I'll say this Gen I had the WORST Japanese names ever! really? Flame Thunder Freezer? and Thunders 2 pokemon had the SAME NAME! thakn god they got better in Gen II

While I am a child raised on the origional 150, I feel that the newer generations had some better designs and evolutions. My favorite would have to be 4th gen overall.

Alright, let's see if they really are the best...

Design-wise: nope, later generations had much more variety.
Competitive-wise: the only ones that are remained good in the metagame are Gyarados and Dragonite, all the rest have been severely outclassed or were never good in the first place.

I hate those Gen 1 fanboys, and I've met too many of them: they are the same type of fans who associate the anime=the games.

They aren't my favorite but there are some really cool ones. I do belive that they are important as the building blocks for pokemon games today.

For the most part, I think that Gen I had the best all around set of Pokemon. All of the generations have good Pokemon, and all of them have bad ones as well. The difference for me is that the first gen Pokemon a) have a better terrible:good ratio than the other gens, and b) all look like a coherent group.

There were a lot of monsters created for Gen I. 190 were planned to be in game*, and some of the monsters that you can see in production art never made it into the games. Thefore, the monsters that made it in were considered to be the better ones.

* Some of the ones that weren't put into Gen I made it into Gen II.

In never generations, designers are given a typing and asked to create a Pokemon based around that typing. It seems like, for the most part, they only make one design (as they are very hard to make properly), and that design is the one that is used. Thus, rather than picking a "best of the best," they simply try to fill the quota with the best designs they can manage - and when they do that, someone is always going to have an off day where they create a terrible design, just as they have days where they make an incredible one.

(Yes, I can give sources for this, if anyone accuses me of making things up. I just don't want to spend the time digging them up right now.)

It helps that the first two Generations of Pokemon were all designed by Ken Sugimori, while later Generations had more designers.

I personally like the Pokémon from Generation III, then the ones from Gen II, then the ones from Gen IV, then the ones from Gen I, then the ones from Gen V, in order of personal preference.

I wouldn't say they're the "best" by any means, but, due to them being the first Pokémon designed and put into a game, they are the most original.

151 fans are either:
1. Bandwagon Jumpers
2. People stuck in 1999.

Lots of fandoms suffer from ruined forever, just look at all those Digimon "fans" on YouTube who complain every season after Adventure is balls just because of the character design.

I resent this. I'm stuck in 1998 THANK YOU VERY MUCH q:

Personally, I prefer Generation II and V's Pokemon over Generation I (which is firmly in the middle to me). But I do like the original 151 Pokemon, just not the most.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom