• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

LT Weekly Poll #1 Are the original 151 the best?

Are the original 151 the best?

• They are the very best, like no one ever was.

Votes: 50 29.6%
  • They all look the same to me.

Votes: 59 34.9%
  • No way! The newer Pokémon are way better!

Votes: 60 35.5%

• Total voters
I love the originals, for power, cuteness, and just everything about them in general.

No batch of Pokémon is better than the other for me. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately they're created to blend into their respective regions, and always seem great there.

Man, this poll comes so close in all three categories.

Slightly on the aye-side, since a majority of my favourites are from Kanto. However, I also like a number of Pokémon from the other Generations as well. In the end, I don't care too much.

At one time, I would have said that yes, Gen I was the best. Then came Gen V and everything changed. All those Gen I Pokemon I thought I loved have taken a back seat to the awesomeness that is Golurk, Bisharp and Sawk. So yeah, it looks like I enjoy the newer Pokemon over the older ones.

Basically the same as the poster above. While their iconic status cannot be denied, as an actual group, I would put them as third or fourth favorite Pokémon pool of the series. It was the most numerous before 5th Gen as well, and it shows. Nowadays I find them to be really overrated by Gen 1 fans, even though their designs and capabilities are not really up to par anymore. Sucks they get so much attention from Game Freak as well. Let's hope they learn to balance out the focus in the future.

I'm going to give my brutal, honest opinion: i think Gen 1 had some of the most bland, boring and uncreative pokemon out of of all gens, don't get me wrong it has some great pokemon and other gens also have their share of uncreative pokemon but Gen 1 has the most.

I'm going to give my brutal, honest opinion: i think Gen 1 had some of the most bland, boring and uncreative pokemon out of of all gens, don't get me wrong it has some great pokemon and other gens also have their share of uncreative pokemon but Gen 1 has the most.

my top 3 favourite pokemon came from gen 1 (Venomoth, Sandslash and Dewgong).

I don't think I can personally vote for one of the three categories because I feel like they are a little too stiff. To me, personally, I really like all the pokemon. It is really hard for me to say I hate one just because I like the overall aspect of them all. Now as for memory, I might have to say I remember most about the original 151. Mainly because it was the first game that i played as a kid as well as got to see them in the anime. But I can't pick just one gen for me and say these pokemon are the best.

I can't honestly vote on this poll, because none of the options suit my opinion. I don't think you can say any generation is solidly the best, or necessarily better as a whole than any others. The general trend is that a generation has a few gems, a majority varying from decent to mediocre and a number of bad designs. None are wholly better. Let's see:

Gen 1: This started everything, and it shows that they had a smaller team/budget back then. They may have had completely fresh ideas, leading to a lot of really good designs, but many of them were really uninspired. Has many of the best, some of the worst, and quite a few of the more forgettable pokemon. No-one would remember the likes of grimer if they had come in gen 3. My favourites from this generation are vaporeon, ninetales, scyther, flareon, charizard and vulpix . My least favourites are grimer, muk, magnemite, magneton, geodude, jigglypuff, wigglytuff, dugtrio, etc. I could be here all day.

Gen 2: I feel this was largely just filling up gaps left in Gen 1, and then had a few extras to add in the numbers. I don't feel it's an especially notable generation on the whole, but they complement the originals well, and are generally well done. My favourites are umbreon, murkrow, houndoom, espeon, sneasel and raikou. My least favourites are slugma, snubbull, elekid, magby, pichu, cleffa and igglybuff.

Gen 3: This generation makes me feel guilty for never having played RSE, which is a mark against it, even if it technically is entirely my fault. So I've not had experience of most of it. From what I know, however, this generation has always seemed a little odd to me. Somehow like a black mareep of sorts, though that may just be my fault again for not having played it. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just... odd. Looking over it now, I'm acutually seeing loads of great designs, but also a fair few dodgy ones. My favourites are absol, zigzagoon, mawile, shedinja, mightyena, altaria and banette. My least favourites are pelipper, shroomish, whismur, spinda, crawdaunt, wynaut and beldum.

Gen 4: Platinum has a special place in my heart for reintroducing me to the series after many years, but unfortunately, the same cannot necessarily be said about its pokemon. There are so many new evolutions and prevolutions here, which I'm mostly not happy about, and what's left of the generation besides tends to get overshadowed. Also I think there are far too many legendaries. They lose any sense of being special when you have this many of them. Anyway, the generation's not all bad, but it does to an extent seem ruined to me by the proportions of new pokemon to redos of older ones. My favourites are leafeon, luxray, staraptor, glaceon, floatzel, froslass and chatot. My least favourites are probopass, regigigas, electivire, magmortar, tangrowth, lickilicky, munchlax, gible, mime jr, happiny and pachirisu.

Gen 5: Ah yes, Black which only allowed me to get new pokemon. Supposed to recreate the sense of novelty of originally playing pokemon. What isn't so well documented is that they also attempted that by basing many lines on ones from gen 1. Examples include, but are not limited to: woobat-zubat, purrloin-meowth, frillish-tentacool, roggenrola-geodude, audino-chansey. Subtle. Anyway, that's not really that much of a problem, so I'll carry on. There are a good number of really nice designs in this generation. However, there are also loads of pokemon which are just ugly, plain and simple. I don't know if they're trying to get too much detail or what, but a lot of these designs are just ugly. And this upsets me. Again, too many legendaries, as well. Anyway, my favourites are zoroark, serperior, zorua, liepard, archeops, galvantula, axew, haxorus and hydreigon. My least favourites are pignite, boldore, swoobat, conkeldurr, palpitoad, throh, sawk, garbodor, vanilluxe, klinklang, deino, zweilous, terrakion and kyurem.

Gen 6: I forgot to mention this in the original post, which probably says something. Actually though, I quite like a lot of this generation. It's nice how they kept it small, and don't have nearly as many awful pokemon because of it. I also more-or-less like all of the starters, in their final forms at least, which is definitely a good sign. Also, not too many legendaries! One problem I do have is the excessive number of mega evolutions they brought in. It would have been nice if they'd tested the waters as it were beforehand, rather than just dumping in loads of megas for mostly already-overpowered pokemon. Enough about them, though. My favourites are chesnaught, delphox, greninja, talonflame, vivillon, dragalge, heliolisk, sylveon, goodra and noivern. My least favourites are diggersby, honedge, doublabe, slurpuff, binacle, barbaracle, dedenne and avalugg. Not counting megas, that is.

Wow. I just got so badly sidetracked. Well, if you made it to the end of my excessive rambling, thanks for reading. I could talk about how surprised I am, but I'll just end here.

Last edited:
It's a hard question, 'cause no gen introduced all awesome 'mons. Every gen bought some awesome ones and some who.. well.. Lack creativity to say the least.
You can't say muk is awesome or better, neither garbodor. Because let's face it, they're disastrous. And they're from an old and new game respectively.

I think no gen is better than other in the matter, I like all the pokés.. I just like some more than others.

As much as I love the original 151 (who doesn't?), I have to go with "no" on this one. To me, generation III came out with some of the coolest and most unique-looking Pokemon designs, and also a bunch of just really great Pokemon.

No, I consider Gen 6 the best. As a whole, it introduced an entire group of Pokemon leaving only one that I dislike. I can't say that Gen 1 comes close to that. I like a lot of Gen 1 and my favorite Pokemon is in that Gen, but are all 151 the best? No. Nowhere near.

I agree with @White Crow; and @Lord Kyuubi;. It seems wrong to me to say that you like Pokemon from certain gens over another, as each gen has their own good AND bad Pokemon. Though, to be honest, I like the Pokemon introduced in Gen III, IV, V, and VI better than the first two gens, as the Pokemon's overall designs became more complex (some people view simpler designs as better... To each their own)
Still, I can't vote on the poll because the option doesn't represent how I feel for the first gen Pokemanz. I don't really think "No way! The newer Pokémon are way better!" I'd rather say: "Although Gen I Pokemon were very good, they are not the best as other gens have introduced better Pokemon."

Now, to contradict what I said earlier, I think the gen that introduced the "best" Pokemon overall would be, imo, Gen III, as both my top two favourites are from it. Although, percentage-wise, I like Gen VI's Pokemon more similar to @Team Gaara;, looking at the actual number of Pokemon I like in that Gen, there's less than how much I like in Gen III.

Some Pokemon designs in Gen 1 weren't creative as such, but some had good designs overall. and while they didn't meet the designs of Gen 3 (like Sceptile, Medicham or Gardevoir), they sure made up for it with some good Pokedex entries.

3 and 4 have most of my favorite Pokemon in them.Gen 4 is my favorite Gen, but Gen 1 is great too!

The first aren't the best by a long shot. Honestly, just thinking the first are the best is silly. For example, take Muk. It's literally a pile of walking sludge. And people complain about Trubbish? Many of the Pokémon are just three combined into one, like Magneton, and Dugtrio.
The first 151 were made during a time where Pokémon wasn't very defined. The art style wasn't very professional either, as Pokémon were drawn in a completely different style from now. I think it the people weren't very original at the time because no one thought Pokémon would be such a big hit as it is now. As Pokémon went on, the artist was pushed to think up different and better designs. In my opinion, the Pokémon designs improved as time went on.

Original 151 the very, very best? Haha NO.
They get a big help from nostalgia and being the very first ones, but honestly, not a lot of them are that good in competition. Out of the original 151, there weren't many that you could just pick up on the side of the road, train them, and trounce the Elite Four with. Even if you leveled them, many were still pretty incompetent.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom