• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

LT Weekly Poll #1 Are the original 151 the best?

Are the original 151 the best?

• They are the very best, like no one ever was.

Votes: 50 29.6%
  • They all look the same to me.

Votes: 59 34.9%
  • No way! The newer Pokémon are way better!

Votes: 60 35.5%

• Total voters
Agreed. The people who say they like the original 151 best are welcome to their opinion, but when they say things like 'omg the new pokemon are so ugly durr durr overdesigned uncreative look like digimon blah blah', it's clear they don't really like Pokemon at all.

I have a friend who is one such person. :/ She REFUSES to pick up B/W and give it a chance because she says the new Pokemon are ugly and dumb and Pokemon should have stopped after 151 and omg misty and brock and ash.

They're PokeHipsters, really :/ You can't say you like a series if you're not willing to give the later installments of said series a try.

As a Gen I fanboy myself, I actually couldn't agree more with this statement. The design of some Pokemon have ALWAYS been silly. I'm convinced that when they create Pokemon they just lock someone in a room and tell them they can't come out until they've cranked out 150+ new ones. I mean really? Tangela? "This one is gonna be a bush! Well uh, that's not creative enough, so let's give it eyes. Oh wow, uh that's kinda creepy and looks like a rip-off of Cloyster. Hmm...I know! Let's give him Jordan's! Yeah, that's great." Speaking of Cloyster, we all know that it's just an excuse to put a dirty girl part into the game XD

For the record, I try my best not to be the sterotypical "lolol you n00bs SUCK gen I is the ONLY ONE." And honestly, I feel as if Gen V has been SIGNIFICANTLY better than Gens III and IV in terms of being like the originals. I can understand why a lot of original fans gave up after Gen IV, because from an original fan's standpoint that one SUCKED. but it still brought in a new wave of Pokemon fans, and changed the direction of Pokemon to make strategy, competitive battling, etc. possible. If you take diamond and pearl for what it was and give Gen V a fresh look, I would say it's the best game since Crystal.

My main reason I love Gen I is obviously because I was around for when Gen I started, and it was my first game. Being around the "magic" that surrounded all of pop-culture of the time admittedly makes me a bit biased. I know it sounds EXTRA arrogant, but it's one of those things that needed to be experience. I don't criticize new fans though! I more feel bad for them that they weren't around to be part of things like Missingno and such that really made this series what is is today...

Either way, to conclude, no: Gen I doesn't have the best "sprites" or anything like that. But we also weren't overpopulated with legends, which in my opinion is one of the things that killed Pokemon.

Gen I did have it's ups and downs, for example, Dragonite, Gyarados, Charizard, Blastoise, and Snorlax. Other than those, IMO, then the rest were terrible.

I personally love the first generation and the first 151 Pokémon, but they aren't the best in any possible way.
The best ones, in my opinion, are from Hoenn and Unova.

The first generation Pokémon designs were much simpler, and although I loathe to use the word to describe something in a game...realistic. Later generation Pokémon have gradually become stranger and Digimon-eque, overall.

Now, whether this is a good or bad thing is pure personal opinion. I am undecided.

They look all the same to me, but some of my favorite Pokemon are in the Gen I ( Starmie, Blastoise, Lapras, Gengar and more... ). Nevertheless, I love the other Gen, more or less, they are good. So are the pokemon ! =D

I do prefer the original 151, but not to the point where I refuse to acknowledge anything else. I've put pretty decent time into Pokemon Ruby. :)

There is always a special place in my heart for the first genearation Pokemon. Perhaps because they are ones I grew up with? While I do personally prefer the entire cast of the first generation Pokemon compared to the other generations, I still like many of the Pokemon from the later generations (I still like each generation and its Pokemon regardless). For example, look at my own user name. I may be a player from the late first gen/early second gen; however, I still like the newer Pokemon such as Minccino. ^-^

I think I'm biased with this one, because I grew up with the original 151, and it felt like I knew them on a more personal level. I do appreciate Itsuki for using the term, pokehipsters on page 1 though.

I'm a Pokémon purist and a nostalgically sentimental guy, so naturally, I believe that the original Pokémon are better than any of their successors. Like the Katy Perry song, you're original, cannot be replaced.

Well, the first 151 were my first experience with pokemon so I might be a bit biased. Gen I is where most of my favourites came from. I do like pokemon from other generations but I think you will always need the previous ones too. My party consists of most gen I, a gen II and a gen IV. I would have another from gen IV but its not available on my game. Gen III also had pokemon I like but wouldn't have a use for right now. I think you really need a combination of gens, which is where gen V fails by limiting you to unova pokemon. I don't like them much at all but I would have been willing to give them a chance if the game had allowed me to use older ones too. In the end, I didn't buy it and I won't. I like to look at my party and think my character has started in kanto and gone through each region, adding to his team as he goes.

Not really, though I must say they are the original. I prefer the newer pokemon however.

All the Gen have their good, bad, and weird, and Gen I is no exception. I think that the Gen I ones are kind of bland compared to the others

If this was 251 it would be better. It was good to have Johto follow Kanto, but then Hoenn just shat in the cup. Sinnoh sort of made a comeback, but then Unova Pokemon, were just fail.

I never realy got a strong solid team together, I was just picking stuff up and using it. A few stood by me all adventure, Samurott, and Victini, but I never got a team I was happy with as I couldn't really find that many I liked or would go well together. They all level up way too high as well, I believe Litwick doesn't evolve til lv 40, that's just too weak to go through the game with.

The original 251 had legends. True legends, not legends as in only one off in Game lv 50 etc. Legends in terms of icons. Pikachu, Charizard, Mew and Mewtwo, Ho-oh Totodile, Togepi, and the most famous of all, Jigglypuff.

I like to look at my party and think my character has started in kanto and gone through each region, adding to his team as he goes.

This is exactly what I do. My final team is a mix, of 2 from Gen 1, one from gen 3, one from gen 4, one from gen 2, and a Pokemon that started off in gen 2 but gained an evolution in Gen 4.

So I do still use, Pokemon from Gen 3 and 4, but I the others are my favourites and that's why there's more of them.
So far, that's not one Pokemon from Gen 5 I'd consider adding to my ultimate team, it's a shame. :(

I used to be one of those people that said: "original 150 are the best and only Pokemon in my eyes."
Now I have discovered Skarmory and Hydreigon I take it all back..

and as for ^^^above^^^ the only Legend worth mentioning of the 650 (? was that right?) is Mewtwo. What a boss Pokemon. It gives me shivers thinking how strong Mewtwo is and how it is from Gen 1 which I think doesnt have that great a base stat average as compared to the later gens. I dont know for sure, but I assume the gen 5 average base stat totals would be A LOT higher than if you worked it out for gen 1...hope my scrambled thoughts make sense.

I think you really need a combination of gens, which is where gen V fails by limiting you to unova pokemon. I don't like them much at all but I would have been willing to give them a chance if the game had allowed me to use older ones too. In the end, I didn't buy it and I won't. I like to look at my party and think my character has started in kanto and gone through each region, adding to his team as he goes.
Why not use a second console and use the Transfer Lab? I just used it for the first time and it wasnt so bad. Better than Pal Park for the earlier gen I think...especially because you dont ave to wait every 24hrs to transfer another 6. My second DS was $50 on eBay but you have to be careful: LOTS of fakes being sold on there...I was like a detective trying to find a legit one to buy.

Last edited:
Putting people who like the older games in a group and saying they're so terrible for putting people who like newer games in a group is a little hypocritical if you ask me. Nobody has a greater opinion than anyone else, unless there are clearly facts just say yes or no and stop attacking people.

With the exception of a select few *cough*Bulbasaur*cough* no, they aren't the best. Every generation has good and bad designs. Gen I had awesome things like Blastoise and Ninetales and Scyther and Dragonite, but it also had crap designs like Dugtrio, Magneton, and Muk.

Yeah they are the best. 4 of my 6 favourite pokemon come from this generation and some great and unique pokemon are in this generation, such as ditto.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom