• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

LT Weekly Poll #47 Did you like Colosseum/XD's story modes?

Did you like Colosseum/XD's story modes?

• Yes!

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I preferred Stadium's minigames.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I liked them having a story, but felt it could have been better.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Joshawott

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
Hello Everynyan! Welcome to the forty-sixth installment in the Lost Tower Forum's new weekly series of polls!

Centered around the Pokemon series of video games, these polls will be based on the various different aspects of the popular video game franchise. Every Monday, a Video Games staff member will post a new poll that'll remained stickied up on top of the forum. Suggestions for polls and questions can be sent to Joshawott or Zeb and they could possibly used for new polls (credit will be given, of course).

With that out of the way, here is the poll:

Did you like Colosseum/XD's story modes?

Pokémon Colosseum and its sequel, XD, gave the home console Pokémon games a breath of fresh air - in the form of a story mode. Did you like this change, compared to Stadium and Stadium 2, or not? Did you like the story in these games and if so why and if not, why?

Past Polls of the Week

01) Were the original 151 the best?
02) Most beneficial new generation?
03) Best Kanto Starter?
04) Should we go back to coloured cartridges?
05) First Pokémon game?
06) Best Johto Starter?
07) How old were you when you started playing?
08) Do you still play the older generations?
09) Best Hoenn Starter?
10) Slot Machines or Voltorb Flip?
11) Favourite Kanto Gym Design?
12) Favourite Sinnoh Starter?
13) Most beneficial third version?
14) First handheld console?
15) Do you want your Pokémon to follow you again?
16) Favourite Hoenn Gym Design?
17) Favourite Apricorn Ball?
18) Pokémon Contests - Yay or Nay?
19) Did you use the Wi-Fi Plaza?
20) Favourite Kanto Gym Leader?
21) Do you like remakes?
22) Favourite Stat Trainer?
23) Favourite Johto Gym Leader?
24) Would you like to see older games on the 3DS Virtual Console?
25) Will Platinum be the last third version?
26) Favourite Hoenn Gym Leader?
27) Whitney's Miltank - Was it a problem for you?
28) Do you play originals or remakes?
29) Favourite Sinnoh Gym Leader?
30) Did you use the TMs?
31) Favourite Sinnoh Gym Design?
32) Favourite Ranger game?
33) Favourite Mystery Dungeon Game?
34) Headbutt or Honey Trees?
35) Were you addicted to the Sinnoh Underground?
36) Do you prefer breakable TMs?
37) Did you participate in the Pokéathlon?
38) Favourite Eeveelution?
39) Did you prefer Gen III's Battle Frontier facilities or Gen IV's?
40) Did your participate in Contests?
41) Pokegear, Pokenav or Poketch?
42) Did you ever find a Munchlax on a honey tree?
43) Were you able to catch/find Feebas in R/S/E?
44) Did you like the inclusion of the Sevii Islands in FRLG?
45) Did you replant berries?
46) Did you like/use the radio feature in G/S/C/HG/SS?

Thank you for voting!

-The Video Games Forum Staff

I loved XD and Colosseum's story mode very much. I enjoyed the snagging of Shadow Pokemon and purifying it and enjoyed the plot being a little different and darker than other main series Pokemon games. I really hope they make a game similar to those in the future, perhaps for the Wii U.

Never played XD but I can vouch for Colosseum. I enjoyed the story, on the short side for sure and probably could've been far more expansive but it was nice to actually have a legit story mode on a Nintendo console at the time.

What made the game really sing was that it complemented RS to a tee. RS lacked heavy emphasis double battles (but was wise enough to force a few on the road and make one a gym battle) and Colosseum made up for that by making everything a major double battle. I'm sure there was much QQing from some, but if you wanna sell a cool feature and didn't do enough of that on the meat & potatoes game then pushing it to side dish/dessert is your best bet.

Not only that but their making Orre exclusively hold Johto monsters and y'know really show casing them (all under the current at the time Gen III mechanics) when they were even overshadowed within their own game really made you pay attention to them and stop and say: "I never knew [insert Gen 2 monster] was this handy!" to "[insert monster] is my cherished comrade."

All in all, Colosseum's story mode was great change of pace and stopped it from being just a 3D battle sim (with some fun mini games). Colosseum also deserves credit for being the first game to flat-out make their evil group(s) a front and center problem that everyone was aware of period.
I'm also pretty sure it humored those who wanted a (slightly) more serious Pokemon story layered with loads and loads of "Rules of Cool". And the game flaunted that with much pride.

Last edited:
The problem with them is that it feels that the story and the "battle sim" aspect of them was too detatched from each other. I believe the story should've been more involving and encompassing with the other gameplay mechanics, not simply a "story mode".

Yup, I quite enjoyed the story mode. At times I thought the Gamecube games had a better story than the handheld games. There were just so many cool, evil villains. There's Miror B, Nascour, Venus, and Ein from the first game and Lovrina, I love her especially, from the second game. I found the story more memorable because I wasn't playing the standard 8-Gyms story anymore. I have a hard time trying to remember some Hoenn or Sinnoh Gym Leaders! Don't ask me about Team Galactic admins.

I like the concept of capturing and purifying Shadow Pokemon. It was a nice break away from Stadium. I dunno why they returned to a stadium-like game in Battle Revolution. I'd love a game like Colo/XD on the WiiU.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom