• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Lucario and the Mystery of Mew"

Dogasu said:
Moving on from the name debate...

I wonder if 4Kids will get Puffy to record an English version of the ending theme. It's not impossible, especially since we got an English version of "Chiisaki Mono," even though Hayashi Asuka didn't sing the English version and probably had nothing to do with the "translated" lyrics.

It's going to suck watching this movie in fullscreen, though, because the movie's scenery pretty much requires one to see it in widescreen to get the full effect.

I would assume Puffy WOULD do the english theme too - considering they are well known in the west because of their cartoon. I don't really see any reason why not, even 4Kids obsession of destroying everything remotely Japanese can be ignored for that because of Puffy's western identity.

Why are the American releases full-screen anyway? The PAL releases have all been widescreen, is it some kind of fear that kids will for some reason go out and murder people or something if their movie has black bars on the top and bottom?

Don't most movies have a widescreen and fullscreen edition anyway? I don't see why this is so difficult. *grumbles and hordes fansubs until it's released*

Doctor Oak said:
Why are the American releases full-screen anyway? The PAL releases have all been widescreen, is it some kind of fear that kids will for some reason go out and murder people or something if their movie has black bars on the top and bottom?

Because Americans are stupid and prefer to view things in fullscreen. All sorts of test groups and whatnot have told companies that people prefer to watch movies in fullscreen, so that's the format they're released in. We do get widescreen releases, but usually they're harder to find than the fullscreen version. For example it's nearly impossible to find a widescreen DVD at my local Wal-Mart, and when I ask the salespeople if they have any in stock, they just look at me as if there's something wrong with me for wanting to watch a movie where there are black bars "in the way." Even on TV in the US, it's rare to see a movie presented in widescreen because a large portion of the people in this country believe that they're actually getting less of the picture with widescreen than they are with fullscreen. Like I said, stupid.

They could just put both versions on DVD, but, of course, that would require some amount of effort on the DVD Masters' part.

Oh......

Well, believe it or not, in Bulbacast 4, I asked the exact same question about why none of the Pokemon DVDs are released in widescreen.

They said that it's because they're not made in widescreen, and that they are made in some kind of ratio (forgot what it was).

Oooh... PuffyAmiYumi doing the theme? Yay! (is an obsessive Puffy fan)

Really, I doubt that'd be a problem, since they did the Teen Titans theme song. So it's not like they're totally unknown in the US.

They even had a float in the 2005 Macey's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

But of course, the song in this movie is sung by just Puffy. Apparently Ami and Yumi had nothing to do with it.

Dogasu said:
Not made in widescreen? WTF were they talking about?
According to TSS, they are created in 4:3, rather than 16:9. He was talking about the episodes, though, since he goes on to say that the movies are in widescreen.

I hadn't asked about the episodes though......

I asked something like, "How come the Pokemon movies have never been released in widescreen?".

Or at least I'm pretty sure I said the word movies in there. I don't know, I could be mistaken though.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough.

Here's something interesting I found while writing an article for Bulbanews:

Later in the year, the eighth Pokemon movie, "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew" is set for release and will feature never-before-seen Pokemon and the legend of the Aura Guardian.

Source

It's talking about Wave Masters - Aaron, Lucario and Ash etc - Aura Guardian is just the translated name for it. Gawd knows why they've mentioned it specifically though.

I know that. I was just pointing out that it now has a translated name.

Didn't it get it days ago?

Edit: From Bulbanews sourcing that scan last week:

An article accompanying several screenshots from the movie confirmed the English names of some characters and locations in the movie. The title of wave-guiding hero became aura guardian. The names of Aaron and Rota Town were kept the same as in the Japanese version.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom