• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Lucario & the Mystery of Mew" on CN

Trainer Rachel

Bring it!
Reaction score
I just saw a nice little commercial advertising the network premier of the 8th movie, "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew." It'll air on Cartoon Network this Friday at 7:30.

I think it's really cool how they're still premiering the old movies (as in, 4Kids dubs), even though the whole VA/production switch has gone on.

But man... just seeing those clips really makes me want Ash's old voice back ;_;

CN still airs Advanced Battle (at least I think), so I don't see why they wouldn't air the old movies as long as they own the rights.

As for the topic of voices, I disagree.

I just recently watched the 8th movie and the 9th movie back to back, and comparing the old voices to the new in both movies...and I found no problems in the transition and found the acting superb.

Ash's voice was pretty good in Movie 9. May's voice was excellent (especially during the Manaphy scenes), and Brock sounds nearly identical. Jessie and Meowth are also spot on, although James has a noticeable difference in his voice.

For those of you who own the DVDs, I see no difference in the acting quality wise between the two movies. They were both good dubs (shame Lucario isn't in widescreen though) with good acting from both teams.

I know they still show Advanced Battle at like, 6 am, but I just wonder what kids who are still confused about the whole situation, or have maybe only been watching Pokemon since season 9, think, hearing Ash with a completely different voice.

And as for the 9th movie, I agree with you. I thought the voices were excellent in the movie, and some of them I prefer over the 4Kids dub. I also thought Sarah did an awesome job in the 9th movie, and it was by far her best performance (and after watching that movie, I was absolutely fine with the VA switch, and thought that then Sarah really captured Ash well), however, being reminded of Veronica Taylor's voice, I can't help but find it superior.

Woah!!

CN is airing the Lucario movie this Friday?

Yay!!!! :-D

I've always wanted to see Lucario and the Mystery of Mew aired on TV. And I'm glad that CN finally decided to show it.

After airing this movie, all they'll have left to show is Mewtwo Returns....(I'm not sure if that would ever air though, given the fact that it's a special).

I have to disagree with you, Scott.

After compairing the Manaphy movie to the Lucario movie, I found there to be he a huge difference in the voice quality, on an overall scale. I'm not just saying this because I'm in SOVA. I'm saying this because it's my true feelings and my honest opinion.

For example, in comparison to the Lucario movie, where Veronica gave Ash tons of emotion in every scene - Ash's voice in the Manaphy movie left me feeling very disappointed and I wanted to see more "life" brought into Ash. There was hardly any emotion in his voice, even in the most important scene for Ash, where he was saving everyone. I felt a huge drop in the voice quality there (at least for Ash, anyway).

However, I do agree with you Scott, that both movies were very good, and they both had good voice acting from their respective VA casts.

My only gripe is that, because of Ash's new voice, the Manaphy movie suffered. It paid a terrible price, because there was much less emotion during Ash's big, important scenes. And this caused a very noticable drop in the voice quality (in my opinion). I mean, if you would compare Ash's most important scenes in the Lucario movie, to Ash's most important scenes in the Manaphy movie, you would notice this major difference in voice quality.

Now obviously, I'm not going to argue the other characters' voices, because the original VAs for Brock, May, and Max - and the new VAs for those characters - I believe they did an outstanding job in their respective movies. So I wasn't bothered by the other new voices in the Manaphy movie. In my opinion, the only voice that ruined the voice quality for the Manaphy movie was Ash's voice. It just makes you wanna cringe, or break things (especially if you watch the Manaphy movie, then go back and watch the Lucario movie - you can easily see the difference in voice quality there....).

And by the way, I agree with you Rachel. Veronica's Ash really is superior.

Last edited:
Put aside the fact movie 8 is my least favourite even in original. But 4Kids dub made it unwatchable for me. It's not main cast, who made great job in this movie (with only exception for James, but who cares about him anyway :-D ). It were Lucario's voice which were deep and gruff, their constant mispronounction of Bonsly's name which made me mad and their script changes regarding the reason why Aaron sealed Lucario. Maybe, for many of you those were small things, but for me it were big deal, beacause it made bad movie even worser.

Ah, this is the Pogeyman movie where the guy comes out of the thing and he makes the face and goes "bah"! I probably won't watch this, considering I have the dvd and CN airs WAY too much commercials. Sitting through Manaphy was crazy, there was a commercial like every 5-7 minutes. AND THEY WERE ALL FOR STUPID TMNT!

Guess what. I am a pokemon fan. You know what this means? This means that I will watch it subbed, dubbed, raw... any way I can get it. This also means that I do not allow something like who is voicing whom get in the way of the enjoyment of the show. If I were to do this, I would be saying that ALL the English voice actors were horrid, because I am mainly a subtitled version fan... but I'm not. I loved the Lucario Movie. I loved most of the movies before it. I also loved the newest movie... prefered the subtitled version... but to tell you the truth, I was very happy to see all the music except for one selection kept in its original form in the new movie. The person who voiced Manaphy also sounded very close to the Japanese version. It was very well done, and I don't care who voiced it... being a pokemon fan means that I will not allow something so trivial as that keep me from enjoying the show. The same people animate it, write the scripts... nothing really has changed recently on the Japanese side. It's still pokemon. Why do we waste out time and try to show others that we aren't fans of the pokemon show, that the only thing that matters to us are who does voices. That's sad. Once again, I will state... a true fan will enjoy a show... especially when it is the SAME SHOW as it has ALWAYS BEEN.

I completely agree Sato. Though I must say, I prefer the japanese version over anything. The sub mostly. It's not like Pokemon is a hard show to understand without subs but I have always prefered Pokemon in it's original form.

Reminder, it's today.

And I figure some of you will be interested in the summary for it.

"The Pokemon must rescue Pikachu from the clutches of evil Mew."

Now wouldn't that have been badass? Here I'm thinking of the Ancient Mew card's inscription.

The voice actor's are good, but I think that they need different voices for Ash and Brock. The others are fine, but Ash's voice sounds a little bit too much like a girl's voice (an overly masculine girl, but a girl nonetheless) and Brock's voice is a little too deep and husky for him to be hitting on girls the way he does. His old voice was smooth and made him seem like a ladies man. Now, it just sounds creepy when he starts to talk to them.

The voice actor's are good, but I think that they need different voices for Ash and Brock. The others are fine, but Ash's voice sounds a little bit too much like a girl's voice (an overly masculine girl, but a girl nonetheless) and Brock's voice is a little too deep and husky for him to be hitting on girls the way he does. His old voice was smooth and made him seem like a ladies man. Now, it just sounds creepy when he starts to talk to them.

Huh?

Are you sure you are talking about the 4kids dubbed movie?

Um, you do know that the voices have been replaced after this movie was dubbed, right?

No, 4kids dubbed this movie with the original voices. This is Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, not Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea.

Hmm, I must have confused them somehow.

Oh well, my opinion about the new voices stands, regardless.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom