• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lysandre's Trump Card banned from TCG competitive play: Ban to go into effect interna

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Lysandre's Trump Card banned from TCG competitive play: Ban to go into effect internationally ...

The Phantom Forces Trainer card Lysandre's Trump Card has been officially banned from all sanctioned tournaments in the Pokémon Trading Card Game due to creating unbalanced playing environments. The ban will go into effect internationally starting June 15, although it will not take into effect in Japan until June 20.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Lysandre's Trump Card banned from TCG competitive play: Ban to go into effect int

Well, I think this is the first time I've heard of a card outside of Yugioh and Magic that's been banned from tournaments. Guess it's that powerful in the Pokemon TCG, since I haven't played (or even owned) that game in years. Has there ever been other Pokemon cards banned from tournaments before? Because I certain haven't heard of any other than this.

Re: Lysandre's Trump Card banned from TCG competitive play: Ban to go into effect int

Well, I think this is the first time I've heard of a card outside of Yugioh and Magic that's been banned from tournaments. Guess it's that powerful in the Pokemon TCG, since I haven't played (or even owned) that game in years. Has there ever been other Pokemon cards banned from tournaments before? Because I certain haven't heard of any other than this.

Off the top of my head, Neo Genesis had two banned cards: Sneasel was OP in general, and Slowking was OP because it was translated incorrectly. Ancient Mew was also banned, but that was for an entirely different reason... that being NOBODY COULD READ THE DAMN CARD.

Aside from those, a Wormadam card was specifically banned from Professor's Cup games in 2008 for being way too powerful in a metagame with no Rares. XD

Aside from those, a Wormadam card was specifically banned from Professor's Cup games in 2008 for being way too powerful in a metagame with no Rares. XD

Well, this is partially correct. The card had two printings: in Secret Wonders and in POP Series 7, which wasexclusive to Japan. The Professor's Cup tournaments banned the use of cards with a star rarity, and although in Secret Wonders it had a star rarity, the POP Series 7 prining was diamond rarity so people would import that printing for use in tournaments.

I don't think they would have banned it if it wasn't so overpowered in tournament play that excluded star rarity cards.

Last edited:

Off the top of my head, Neo Genesis had two banned cards: Sneasel was OP in general, and Slowking was OP because it was translated incorrectly. Ancient Mew was also banned, but that was for an entirely different reason... that being NOBODY COULD READ THE DAMN CARD.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe the Birthday Pikachu promo card was banned from tournaments because its attack would do extra damage if it was the players' birthday, something that was too much trouble to go to to prove to allow the use of it.

Wow.

Slowking Neo Genesis would be the last card that was banned from the (then) current modified/standard format. A number of cards are banned in unlimited, though all for logistical reasons so far as I know.

This makes Lysandre more of an asshole than he was before.

Obligatory boast as to why Lysandre's the best.

Funny how they never banned Pokemon Catcher, Junk Arm, or the SP Trainer cards. Though they at least nerfed the first one.

It's worth noting that Pokemon like Magic has Set Rotation, so older cards are banned by default (form tournaments, not casual play. I assume there's a separate format for that)

Penguin Knight has a pretty different effect, and it's significantly more restricted. Penguin Knight's effect will help to save its owner from being decked out (and only if it's sent to the graveyard from the deck via an effect of a card controlled by the opponent), Lysandre's Trump Card basically removes that win condition from the entire game for both players.

Makes sense for Lysandre's Trump Card to be removed from official competitive play, to keep the gameplay as it's intended. (That said, it makes little sense why they'd even release a card with such a horrendously broken effect.)

I knew ever since I first saw it that Lysandre's Trump Card would be a very powerful card. I never expected it to reach a point where it would be the first banned card in years, though.

In fact, here's my first posted reaction to the card (back when we called it by a more badass name, XD):

When I read the effect of Lysandre's Last Resort, the first thing that popped into my head was: "Holy hell!"

Just imagine being able to essentially reset your deck after going through your resources throughout a game. That is a very powerful effect. Granted, your opponent also gets a deck reset, but still. This might actually give me a reason to not be hesitant on using quad-Juniper/Sycamore in my decks! XD

Penguin Knight is really only good against opposing Decks that are trying to Deck you out. It's pretty rare for an effect to send a card from the opponent's Deck to the Graveyard (in no small part because this is usually an advantage for the opponent, not a disadvantage). In Yu-Gi-Oh, the vast majority of Decks WANT their Graveyards loaded with cards rather than their Main Decks, which is very different to the Pokemon TCG.

But even then, Penguin Knight is incredibly restrictive, whereas Lysandre's Trump Card is a simple "play from hand" card, with the only restriction being that it's a Supporter.

Well, this is partially correct. The card had two printings: in Secret Wonders and in POP Series 7, which wasexclusive to Japan. The Professor's Cup tournaments banned the use of cards with a star rarity, and although in Secret Wonders it had a star rarity, the POP Series 7 prining was diamond rarity so people would import that printing for use in tournaments.

I don't think they would have banned it if it wasn't so overpowered in tournament play that excluded star rarity cards.
Sorry for bumping this thread, but yes Wormadam was banned for power reasons alone, as it utterly roflstomped the European Professor Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom