• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M07: Sky-Splitting Visitor: Deoxys

Kinglerlord2

Virus equals very yes
Reaction score
Well Dogasu has covered the synopsis pretty well there so there's not much I can add to that. Here's a small review/impressions to follow it up.

From the start I want to say that overall I'm impressed with the movie. It was an enjoyable adventure for the most part.

The "this is the world of pokemon" spiel at the start of the film was, as Dogasu said, a little long and seemed to be kinda fillerish and pointless to be frank.

Right from the word go the movie itself was showing promise as it attempted to take a more mature take on the battle between Deoxys and Rayquaza. Looking at it through the eyes of the audience majority (6-10 years old) it would have been quite a scary experience. There was excellent use of camera angles in the battle and edge of your seat stuff as young Toh'i is caught in the stampede of Sealeo and Walrein.

With the prologue over the movie slows down a little again but builds up to the battle tower quickly enough so we're not getting bored. Team Rocket's entry was less than spectacular, it was very similar to the 2nd movie where they run headlong into a rock, but in a much more boring style. The battle tower battle was a little one-sided but was fairly entertaining as Ash's Pikachu and Torkoal stumbled over each other.

After this they introduced the side story of Ash wanting to help Toh'i overcome his fear of pokemon. This made the movie feel more like an extended episode from the series at times. The scene with the pokemon playing happily together is pretty much an obligatory scene with these movies but it is probably better suited for the pre-movie Pikachu short film rather than in the middle of a movie where the audience is waiting for things to happen.

Enter Deoxys and his shadows which start kidnapping people and flying off with them. It's quite a cool scene with Pikachu and Ryuu's Blaziken firing attack after attack destroying the shadows in an effort to hold them back.

The windmill scene with everyone helping to restore power... well yeah for the story to work it's necessary but it seems to play out like a moral about teamwork than anything else and you're left kinda shrugging you shoulders and thinking "eh".

Rayquaza gets inside and the battle between him and Deoxys resumes and it's played out very well except for the limited attacks used by both pokemon. With the entry of the second Deoxys they could have ended the movie but I think it worked better that they kept going because Rayquaza was still kinda pissed off and so it's two Deoxys vs Rayquaza and the Deoxys don't seem particularly interested in fighting anymore.

The scene with the robots going into attack mode was pretty unneccessary I think. It extended the movie more than was really necessary and didn't really achieve too much.

But as I said at the start the movie was very entertaining even if the plot lagged at times.

Now technical points:

As with the previous movies there was a lot of CG animation used and it looked very nice actually; however there are points in the 2D animation where you wonder if they ran out of money because of the CG as it gets really sloppy sometimes which is disappointing.

The soundtrack was for the most part very good but I swear if I *ever* hear that L-O-V-E-L-Y song again I will go on a murderous rampage. The song was *way* to repetitive and the tone and pitch was not nice on the ears.

As I mentioned eariler the camera angles during the battles were very good and that is the same for the whole movie. There was some great use of a variety of shots and angles that kept the interest up.

To finish up I've gotta mention that the star of the movie (at least in the kid's viewpoint) was Gonbe. Everytime the little guy appeared the kids were very excited about it. And he was very cute in his role to be fair.

Right. I've rambled enough I think.

Another solid movie overall.

Oh and one final point that Dogasu didn't mention. At the very end of the credits all of the pokemon who had appeared in the movie aside from Deoxys and Rayquaza were dancing the aforementioned song with pom-poms; even Blaziken, Blastoise and Metagross. We all felt very sad for them.

Last edited:
Stickied because I could ^_^

A few random points:

-Metagross didn't do jack sh*t in this movie. OK, he used Reflector ONCE, but other than that he just stood there and saved the animators money by not moving.

-This movie succeeded in making Blaziken look like a the biggest wimp ever. Seeing it with the twin girls on its lap as it slid down a slide in the park was bad enough. Seeing it jump around on the windmill like a thirteen-year old on her older brother's bed during a sleepover is worse. Seeing it dance during the ending theme with pom-poms was just too much.

-Gonbe was easily the audience's favorite part of the movie. Even after it evolved into Snorlax, the kids still insisted on calling it Gonbe.

A few random points from me too

- A number of scenes which we saw in the trailers never appeared in the actual movie. Given that they were things I was really looking forward to, like the Satoshi/Haruka Tag Team battle in Battle Tower (Honestly, the Battle Tower match we got instead did *NOT* do all those lovely 3d backgrounds and pans we got leading up to it any justice whatsoever).

- All the previous sessions for the day were marked as having been sold out. There were seats left during our session, but it was the last of the day

- Free gifts included a mono-colour Gonbe keychain (Colour varies), a small 3d picture booklet with glasses, and a Diokishisu (I have no idea what the english spelling is, so I'll stick with the Japanese) TCG card.

- Team Rocket need more to do in these movies. While they were easily the 2nd favourite characters in the movie after Gonbe, their presence in the movie could have been cut out totally and not harmed the plot whatsoever.

Reading these summaries, I'm a bit disappointed, but then again, I don't know what I was expecting, either. It seems like a lot of fighting and running around. I guess I wish that Team Rocket would have had a bigger role (as I always do), but we can't hope for this to be like Revelation Lugia, now can we? Isn't this the first movie where the main characters don't talk to or have some kind of relationship with the legendary Pokemon the movie features? Even in Lord of the Unknown Tower, Satoshi-tachi battled Entei up-close-and-personal. Also in this movie, it sounded like there were too many minor characters (Ryuu, Yuuko, the twins, etc.). I wish they would put some more character development into the major characters before deciding to add more filler people.

I suppose I will just have to wait until I see it (which will be, oh, maybe two years from now, and the dub at that) before I make any real judgement.

Yes actually I forgot to add that TR's role was extremely disappointing in this movie. They've got some good pokemon, make them use them for cryin' out loud.

Well, there *was* the flying around that Satoshi did with Diokishisu later in the piece, along with Toui.

The flying scene was so similar to movie 4 (even Toh'i looked a lot like Sam) that you could probably lay one on top of the other and it'd sync in points.

Last edited:
Actually, considering it is in Katakana, either Tooi or Toui will get you the pronounciation if written in Hiragana. Of course, why we don't write Tō'i (which, in one shot, shows Japanese spelling, and pronounciation) is a matter of convenience. Or we could even spell that with a diaresis like we should spell naïve and coöperation: Tōï. But that one is more likely to be misread as a diphtong like in "boy". Damned English spelling.

Last edited:
I write it as "Toh'i" because it shows that the "o" is supposed to be long. The apostrophe is there just to make sure that the "i" is pronounced separately (as in , you don't try to pronounce it as "To-hi" or something like that).

Tooi is a good enough romanization, but you can't always count on the official Japanese sources for name romanizations. I've seen Plusle romanized as "Prasle," yet I doubt ANY of us would call it by THAT name.

Is Musashi voiced by Megumi in this movie, or is it the new seiyuu(shudders at the voice) as heard on AG 85?

GoldChaos said:
Is Musashi voiced by Megumi in this movie, or is it the new seiyuu(shudders at the voice) as heard on AG 85?

I checked the credits, and it's Megumi.

Then again, it's not like Musashi has a lot of lines here to begin with, so it wouldn't have been a complete disaster if she was voiced by a different person.

GoldChaos said:

The replacement came? Does it even sound like her?

OK, having heard those clips in the context for a comparison, yes, they are different, yet similiar. The new one is more harsh, clipped. Probably taking the role of villian more seriously than the previous one.

Kinglerlord2 said:
Oh and one final point that Dogasu didn't mention. At the very end of the credits all of the pokemon who had appeared in the movie aside from Deoxys and Rayquaza were dancing the aforementioned song with pom-poms; even Blaziken, Blastoise and Metagross. We all felt very sad for them.

So, does that mean all the gangs Pokemon too! So it was Pikachu, Snorlax,Plusle,Minum,Surskit,Masquerain, Metagross,Blazkien,Blastoise, Meowth,Wobbuffet,Corphish,Grovyle,Swellow,Torkoal,Beautifly,Forretress,Skitty,Bulbasaur,Combushken,Lombre, and Mudkip?

Cause, all those Pokemon were in the movie. Or could you please tell me which Pokemon were doing the Pom-Poms?

...About Musashi's new voice... err... no.

It's Akiko Hiramatsu. She was the voice of Flura in Revelation Lugia.

Argy said:
...About Musashi's new voice... err... no.

It's Akiko Hiramatsu. She was the voice of Flura in Revelation Lugia.

Well ain't that nice. Just a thought, but doesn't Yamato's voice sound kinda similar to Musashi's, but a tad lower? I have a sound clip from the Japanese 'Pikachu Revolts!' and they sounded alike. Made it kinda hard to keep up with the 2-way motto, too. If so, then couldn't they have gotten Yamato's Seiyuu to do Musashi?

Unless, of course, they both have the same one. ^_^o

Dogasu said:
-Metagross didn't do jack sh*t in this movie. OK, he used Reflector ONCE, but other than that he just stood there and saved the animators money by not moving.
I do find that odd. Metagross is supposed to be of Dragonite and Tyranitar level power, and yet in its debut it doesn't get show off that power. Too bad it wasn't shown rampaging through Shadow Deoxys, stumping on them and tearing into them with its huge, clawed arms.

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom