• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M11: Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet: Shaymin

So I read Gin's more detailed summary on LJ and I have to ask.

...did they really kill off Zero, or is he still alive, albiet frozen, at the end? If Pryce's Piloswine can survive being froze for 50 years...but then Zero's not an ice type

Doesn't Serebii's summary say that Zero is shown being arrested at the end of the movie?

The summary I read on Serebii just said he was "beaten". But I talked to Gin to clarify and she said "he's alive, he just wishes he'd died".

Which is very interesting, but dammit, it's more fun to write angst for people who only have a *little* bit!

Ah. You must have read a summary on the forums. I read the poorly written one on the front page, which ends with this:

In the closing credits sequence, Zero's ship is recovered, and he is arrested by Office Jenny and helped out of his ship by Mugen. Ash, Hikari and Brock leave the town to continue their Pokemon Journey.

So Zero has angst over losing his goal? I suppose it is only natural. It's always possible that his angst will fade in time.

The one thing bugs me about this movie.

Is Yuuki in his Emerald clothes, or R/S ones?

And are Yuuki & Kouki seen clearly, or they are seen as badly as in Movie 6?

Hid it in a spoiler for safety purposes.

I think I won't find it out before the release of a DVD...

My thoughts about the movie after seeing it yesterday:

- Overall, I liked it. The 4th, 6th and 9th movies were the ones I liked the most, so you can see where I lean in terms of Pokemon movies. The pacing was good, and the movie was very quick to get to the point.

- It did feel like a bit of a beerslam of a few other movies in the series, though. Here's what the movie seems to borrow from all the previous ones, although I've yet to see Movie 10.:

Movie 1: legendary Pokemon attacking each other
Movie 2: the mysterious enemy possessing a gigantic airship that can go anywhere, legendary Pokemon attacking each othe
Movie 3: Molly's dream world can kind of be like the other realm, but this comparison stretches things a bit
Movie 4: the destruction of nature, the apparent death of a Pokemon in a lake, the minimal presence of a Pokemon defender (Suicune : Regigigas)
Movie 5: ???
Movie 6: protagonist befriends a Pokemon, the cast must take a Pokemon back to where it belongs
Movie 7: legendary Pokemon attacking each other
Movie 8: the return of a previous movie legendary (Mew : Dialga)
Movie 9: protagonist befriends a Pokemon, the minimal presence of a Pokemon defender (Kyogre : Regigigas)

movie1.jpg

movie2.jpg

Pokemon Sunday probably would've shown a better picture of him if there was one, so it looks like that's all there was.

Lucas still looks like a French pansy. But Brendan still looks bitchin'.

Small thing I'd like to know:

What was the opening song? Was it a remix of Together? Was there even an opening song?

So the movie opened at number two in the Japanese box office, being beaten out by the new Miyazaki film.

I'm not surprised one bit.

So the movie opened at number two in the Japanese box office, being beaten out by the new Miyazaki film.

I'm not surprised one bit.

Good for Pokemon! I knew this would happen as soon as I knew Ponyo was coming out the same time as Pokemon. However, I'm impressed Miyazaki only won by a small margin.

Question: Is 1 billion yen a good thing? The fact that it's on $9.4 million dollars has me scratching my head. However, I know squat about the Japanese economy, so I'm asking here.

The Pokémon movie did really well... WPM said himself on his site that the Miyazaki movie earned 8.2 million dollars while the Giratina movie got 7.3 million. Quite close. The Miyazaki movie was also aired in 481 theaters while the Giratina movie was aired in 359 theaters. That's over a hundred less.

Based on these figures, I'd hardly say the Ponyo movie trashed the Pokémon movie. In fact, I think the Pokémon movie did very well, considering it had even less theaters than Ponyo did.

monkeyjb1988 said:
Question: Is 1 billion yen a good thing? The fact that it's on $9.4 million dollars has me scratching my head. However, I know squat about the Japanese economy, so I'm asking here.

Japanese movies have a considerably lower budget than similar American movies. For comparison's sake...both Astro Boy 2003 and The Simpsons have the same per-episode budget ($1,000,000), yet I'm sure many people here will agree that Astro Boy 2003 looks a LOT better. Similar comparisons can be made between movies as well.

They just know how to get their money's worth.

Plus, there's only so much better you can make The Simpsons look before it's not the same show anymore.

I wonder what the budget for an episode of Pokémon is.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom