• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M13: Zoroark: Master of Illusions

So... Zorua calls Zoroark "Mamee" ? Did they ever explain why it calls it so? Did they say Zoroark is just Zorua's "friend" like they did in Japanese?
I'm seriously annoyed at this playing around to avoid clearly saying Zoroark is its mother
Now I don't know if I should tell the Hebrew dub director to treat Zoroark as a male or female... I want to say female, but I can't tell her that if there's no proof of it really being female... maybe I should tell them to explain TPCI or whoever check the terms and so on that in Hebrew we don't have "it" and that they'll decide if we should treat it as a male or female... (now I'm also starting to wonder what will be later on with Meloetta which is "genderless" despite obviously being a female - I bet anything it'll have a female voice if it'll speak human in its probable BW movie appearance)
I still dream of translating these upcoming season/movie here... but I know that won't happen :( oh well, hopefully they'll at least let me fix their badly translated list of terms...
At least with Pokémon I can always hope for next season XD

Actually, I think it was changed to MAKE it more clear to tell. I've heard tons of kids call their mothers that, so I automatically though she was his mother. No problems there for me to be honest.

When Goon said 'it's been quite a long time..' it REALLY reminded me of somebody saying that before. Somebody (an old man I think, to his wife(?)) saying 'It's been quite a long time since you last...' but I really can't pinpoint who I am thinking of! That voice has been repeating in my head for a while and I can't think of who it was, or what they were talking about. lol.

Anyway, that's not really related.
This movie was really good! I really enjoyed it. Brock's last movie after 13 movies. Such a shame.

Actually, I think it was changed to MAKE it more clear to tell. I've heard tons of kids call their mothers that, so I automatically though she was his mother. No problems there for me to be honest.

Well, did they still say that Zoroark is "Zorua's friend" ? If so, then no, they still didn't make it clear enough...

No, I don't think they ever did actually say that, not that I remember anyway. The humans just refrenced that Zoroark's rampage was because she was searching for Zorua.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure in Japanese they constantly referred to it as "Zorua's friend"... maybe that was in some of the cut scenes?
Anyway, I hope they really ignored that ridiculous "friend" thing in the original...
Also, "mamee"? I never saw this... why not simply "mommy"?
They really should've made things a little more obvious than they did... sometimes I wish Hebrew had a word for "it" so we could just avoid this like they do...

Perhaps it was a way of showing she was from a different region, since, from what I've seen anyway, Unova is very different than most of the other regions.

They didn't keep refering to it as 'Zorua's friend', they mainly just refered to her as Zoroark, and that Zoroark was looking for Zorua.

Great movie. I saw it last night in CN HD. That means I saw it at 3PM. It has some pros and cons, fortunately and unfortunately.

Pros
  • Zorua was cute
  • Great start of introducing Gen V Pokemon
  • Great city
Cons
  • Too many commercials
  • CN cut the beginning
  • CN also fast-forwarded the credits.
  • Lots of parts left out.
  • No Raimon City (Nimbassa) dub name

I was so dispointed when they cut out like the first 20 minuets! Then this :Mima: buisness is just horrible >.<

Im watching what was shown on Cartoon Network last night, and your right, it actually makes no sense, Team Rocket mention 3 legendary Pokemon in Crown City, without any explaination of who or what they are.

Also I dont really understand why he needed Zoroark to pretend to be the beasts and destroy the city, why not just get Zoroark to destroy the town for real, and then get people to leave while they track down Zoroark, the whole beasts thing was unnecesary.

Last edited:
Plus why didnt Kodai just capture Zoroark like a regular Pokemon?

The point is, Kodai says he owns a Baccer team with Raikou, Entei and Suicune (we missed this bit) so he gets Zoroark to cause havoc in the city as the three beasts. This is why he apologizes and people would think they were his beasts. I'm not actually sure what he wanted to achieve by apologizing for his own Pokemon, but that bit always got me confused...

edit: Oh wait, I think he did it so he could get celebi to appear.

The point is, Kodai says he owns a Baccer team with Raikou, Entei and Suicune (we missed this bit) so he gets Zoroark to cause havoc in the city as the three beasts. This is why he apologizes and people would think they were his beasts. I'm not actually sure what he wanted to achieve by apologizing for his own Pokemon, but that bit always got me confused...

edit: Oh wait, I think he did it so he could get celebi to appear.

Kodai's three "legendary pokemon" - Raikou, Entei, and Suicune- were all holograms. They were not real pokemon. Ash and co. watch a newscast of his (Kodai rules over the media, so to speak, and he often had his "secretary" - Rowena - edit his videos for him to make him look better). Kodai claims that he will enter the Pokemon Baccer Tournament in Crown City along with his three legendary pokemon.

Seeing "Raikou, Entei, and Suicune" inspire Ash and co. to travel to Crown City. Meanwhile, Kodai captures Zorua and Zoroark (pokemon who are able to cause illusions). By using "Zorua" (again another hologram, as the real Zorua escaped Kodai's airship) as a hostage, Kodai forces Zoroark to comply with his orders.

Kodai wanted Zoroark to use her illusion powers to transform into the three legendary beasts and cause havoc in Crown City.
As an excuse, Kodai claims that his three legendary pokemon - Raikou, Entei, and Suicune - were all forced to work under the "evil pokemon" Zoroark's "bidding." Kodai urges the civilians to flee while he tries to handle the situation.

This is all done because Kodai receives a vision from the Time Ripple energy he absorbed 20 years ago (which helped him see the future and make the right choices to become a powerful, influential man). Kodai knew his power was weakening so he needed to absorb the energy from another Time Ripple caused by Celebi time travelling.

Kodai knew from one of his last visions that the Time Ripple was located near a countdown clock in Crown City.

In order to regain the power to see through the future, Kodai captured Zoroark, created holograms of Entei/Raikou/Suicune, pretended to have enter the Pokemon Baccer Tournament coincidentially held in Crown City, and force Zoroark to transform into the three Legendary Beasts/pretend that they were under Zoroark's control all along.

This was all a distraction so Kodai can move around town and find the Time Ripple, which was seen in a vision to be situated next to a countdown clock.

Basically Kodai's actions are out of pure selfishness. He doesn't care who he has to hurt or use along the way as long as he reaches his goal. Kodai is one of the most selfish if not the most selfish villain ever established in a Pokemon movie. At least Lawrence III (from Pokemon 2000) and Annie/Oakley (from Pokemon Heroes) knew when to stop.

Basically Kodai's actions are out of pure selfishness. He doesn't care who he has to hurt or use along the way as long as he reaches his goal. Kodai is one of the most selfish if not the most selfish villain ever established in a Pokemon movie. At least Lawrence III (from Pokemon 2000) and Annie/Oakley (from Pokemon Heroes) knew when to stop.

Agreed, but what makes him worse is how sadistic he is. Look at the finale, did he need to kill Zoroark? No, he didn't, she was busy reuniting with Zorua, he could've just went over and absorbed the Time Ripple while letting Shuppet run interference if he had to. The only reason he tried (and did) murder Zoroark was he wanted to. That's the reason I think he's the absolute most evil movie villain so far, at least Viscious didn't go out of his way to murder someone for no reason at all.

Also, who here cheered when this monster got taken down besides me?

Kodai is the cruelist pokemon movie villain. He actually killed Zoroark and nearly killed Celebi and Zorua. I actually cheered when he lost in the end.

This movie is airing the same day as the Superbowl and aired a day before the Superbowl. Pokemon "Baccer" World Championship.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom