• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M15: Kyurem VS the Sacred Swordsman: Keldeo ・ PK24: Meloetta's Dazzling Recital

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
M15 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Satoshi, Iris, and Dent are on a train to their next adventure in Roshan. As the train weaves through the mountain roads, our heroes spot an injured pokemon they had never seen before. It turns out to be the legendary Keldeo, a pokemon who's said to be the successor to the trio of "sacred swordsmen" who protect the earth and its pokemon. These swordsmen are none other than the legendary trio of Cobalon, Terrakion, and Virizion!

Suddenly, the strongest Dragon-Type pokemon Kyurem appears and attacks Satoshi and his friends! Kyurem has the power to transform into "Black Kyurem" and "White Kyurem," leaving Satoshi and his friends with no choice but to make a run for it!

This thrilling chase takes place takes place on both land and the air! Can Keldeo, Satoshi, and Pikachu overcome this danger and escape!? And how will Satoshi's and his friends' friendship awaken Keldeo's hidden power?

re: "Kyurem VS the Sacred Swordsman: Keldeo" & "Meloetta's Dazzling Recital"

The movie came out today? OMG can't wait to see how this turned out eh? Wonder if there is a human antagonist in this.

Edit:actually this movie will hit tommorow, totally forgot. LOL

It's Saturday in Japan, so the movie is out now.

Hope the Pokemon Company USA continues their trend of dubbing the Pokemon movies early. If so, we'll probably get this movie before the end of this year. *__*

Just got back from the theater.

Here's the plot of "Kyurem vs. The Sacred Swordsman Keldeo." I'll post my actual thoughts on the movie later.

- If you haven't read my summary of the manga adaptation of this movie, please take a look at that first. The first half of the movie pretty much unfolds exactly the way it did there, and a lot of the word balloons are taken word-for-word from the movie. The main difference between the two is that the order of the flashbacks was shuffled around a bit.
- So, picking up where the manga summary left off...everyone runs into a building since they figure that Kyurem's too big to follow them inside. Its Freezio friends, however, are able to continue the chase. Satoshi, Pikachu, and Keldeo get separated from Iris and Dent, so we get a few scenes of the three of them running around by themselves for a while. At one point, we see Satoshi using Gantle as a sled on the frozen ground. This is the part of the movie where we see Keldeo flying around by using the Hydro Pump it sprays from its feet as a sort of jet pack.
- Eventually, everyone is reunited. Dent thinks it's too dangerous for them to continue running above ground, so he suggests they duck into the city's subway systems and sneak out of town that way. Using the knowledge he has from being a Metro Sommelier (though this term never actually comes up in the movie), Dent finds a doorway to some abandoned tracks that they can follow out of town. Meanwhile, Kyurem and the Freezio continue to look for Keldeo above ground.
- The subway tracks lead Satoshi and his friends to a museum of transportation, oddly enough. At this point, a plan is formed to help Keldeo escape...
- First, we see Iris piloting the blimp (I'm serious...) above the town of Roshan. The Freezio rush up toward the cockpit but are dismayed when they see that only Iris and Kibago are onboard. It looks like Iris' plan to lure the Freezio away and buy Satoshi and Keldeo some extra time has worked! The Freezio leave Iris alone. Suddenly, the air becomes cold and Kyurem approaches the cockpit! It, too, leaves as soon as it realizes that Keldeo is not onboard. However, the sudden temperature drop causes the blimp's engines to freeze! The blimp starts to slowly fall toward the ground.
- Next, we see Dent driving a railway cart being powered by Maggyo in one direction while Satoshi and Keldeo head the other way. As they make their way to the abandoned mine where the Sacred Swordsmen are being kept on foot, Satoshi asks Keldeo what kind of pokemon Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalon are. Cue three flashbacks of Keldeo training with them one-on-one. Terrakion taught Keldeo to concentrate and to never take your eyes off your target, Virizion taught it that if fear is its greatest enemy, and Cobalon taught it that losing can be a very powerful learning experience. Satoshi thinks they seem like a great group of friends.
- Back on the railroad tracks, the group of Freezio have started to chase after Dent's cart. The group of Freezio are lured far away and, just like with Iris, they leave as soon as they realize that Keldeo's not with him. Kyurem does the same. After everyone's gone, Iris comes by in her miraculously thawed out blimp and rescues Dent from the side of the road.
- Iris' and Dent's plans to lure their pursuers away has bought Satoshi and Keldeo enough time to get the hell out of Roshan has worked, and before long the three of them arrive at the mines. As they stand at the front gate, Keldeo admits to Satoshi that it lied to Kyurem about being a Sacred Swordsman and that it will probably never be forgiven. Satoshi and Pikachu go into the mines alone, I guess because they hope that their determination will rub off on Keldeo. Keldeo, however, is too scared to enter.
- (By the way, the pamphlet that I picked up at the theater identifies the mines as "Full Court" (フルコート). I don't remember them ever using this term in the actual film, though).
- So once inside Full Court, Satoshi finds the frozen Swordsmen and calls on his Charbu and Gantle to help him break them out of the ice. Kyurem returns and demands to know what they're doing there, saying that this is no place for humans. When Satoshi ignores Kyurem's warnings and continues trying to break the pokemon free, Kyurem attacks. At this moment, Keldeo arrives on the scene, having finally gathered up the courage to come inside, and deflects the attack with a Focus Blast! It admits to Kyurem that it lied about being a Sacred Swordsman and that it only wanted to challenge Kyurem to a duel. Kyurem decides that it will allow Keldeo to fight it once again. Satoshi and his pokemon continue to chip away at the ice as the rematch begins.
- The fight between Keldeo and Kyurem lasts quite a while, actually. After Kyurem kicks Keldeo around a bit, the deer pokemon thinks back to Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalon and gathers the resolve needed to transform into its Resolution Forme. Iris and Dent arrive on the scene, though I'm not sure how they knew where Full Court was or how to get there :p
- The battle continues, and while Keldeo is able to get a few good licks in, it's still not really a match for Kyurem. One of Kyurem's ice attacks hits Keldeo's leg and pins it to the ground, so Satoshi orders Pikachu to use Thunderbolt to help it out. Keldeo responds by attacking Satoshi with Focus Blast and telling him that it has to fight its own battle. Keldeo eventually frees itself.
- As the battle continues, the three Swordsmen are finally able to escape their prison of ice. Everyone then just sort of watches as Keldeo continues to fight Kyurem. Kyurem transforms into White Kyurem and freezes Keldeo just like it did the three Swordsmen, making everyone think that the match is over. However, Keldeo's horn starts to glow; it's finally able to use the "sacred sword" technique! It uses the sword to cut its way out of the ice and continue the fight.
- Toward the end of the battle, one of Kyurem's attacks is in danger of hitting Satoshi and the others. Keldeo jumps in front of them and takes the brunt of the attack, knocking it to the ground. Kyurem stomps down on Keldeo's horn, preventing it from moving, so Keldeo concedes defeat. (Humorously, at this point, I heard one of the kids in the theater say "Keldeo...lost!?" with the most adorable sound of disbelief in his voice) Kyurem is impressed that Keldeo would choose protecting its friends over winning a battle and says that it has the qualifications needed to become a Sacred Swordsman. Keldeo reverts back into its regular forme.
- Full Court starts to cave in, for some reason (I assume because of the damage done by the battle? It's never clearly stated), so everyone has to evacuate. Kyurem flies into the sky and uses its ice attack to freeze everything in its place, preventing the mines from being completely destroyed. Someone - I think Iris, maybe - comments on how it now looks like a castle made of ice.
- Outside, the four Sacred Swordsman talk about friendship some and then put their horns together, Musketeer style. The end.
- During the end credits, we see Satoshi and his friends flying back to Roshan in the blimp. Keldeo, Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalon are seen spending time together.

A few other things:

- There were no extra game characters in the "World of Pokemon" segment. Satoshi and Pikachu are seen fighting a Crimgan in a stadium, but we never see the Dragon-Type's trainer.
- Virizion has a really motherly voice, and I'm almost certain they intended for us to assume that it's a female. I hesitate to state this outright, however, since this is the same franchise that gave us feminine Saturn.
- This movie doesn't really have any human characters in it. There's Satoshi, Dent, Iris, that Malin girl at the train station, random extras on the train / at the train station (including the Mother of Rohta), Musashi and Kojirou (see below), and...that's it.
- Musashi and Kojirou have non-speaking cameos in this movie. Kojirou is seen talking on the phone and Musashi is seen standing near the train station during the opening credits. During the end credits, we see Kojirou and Nyasu pushing a car - with Musashi in the driver's seat, of course - up a hill. We then see them sitting on the car and looking at the sunset at the top of said hill. All three of them are wearing their trenchcoats during their cameos.
- No older movie characters are seen during the end credits.

Hmm.. so it turns out Kyurem wasn't evil after all. So was this the first Pokemon movie without an actual antagonist?

Thanks a lot for the summary, Dogasu.

And thank God, Iris and Dent 'actually' do something in this movie. Somehow, this movie sounds better than M14, now that we have a summary. Not really THAT excited but I would like to give it a shot.

- There were no extra game characters in the "World of Pokemon" segment. Satoshi and Pikachu are seen fighting a Crimgan in a stadium, but we never see the Dragon-Type's trainer.

Disappointing, yet expected...

- Virizion has a really motherly voice, and I'm almost certain they intended for us to assume that it's a female. I hesitate to state this outright, however, since this is the same franchise that gave us feminine Saturn.

After I watched the most recent trailer, I think it's safe to say it's 100% a female...

- This movie doesn't really have any human characters in it. There's Satoshi, Dent, Iris, that Malin girl at the train station, random extras on the train / at the train station (including the Mother of Rohta), Musashi and Kojirou (see below), and...that's it.

I think that may be a good thing, actually... there's no real need for all these extra COTMs
They should continue this way next movies and emphasize more on the actual main cast

- Musashi and Kojirou have non-speaking cameos in this movie. Kojirou is seen talking on the phone and Musashi is seen standing near the train station during the opening credits. During the end credits, we see Kojirou and Nyasu pushing a car - with Musashi in the driver's seat, of course - up a hill. We then see them sitting on the car and looking at the sunset at the top of said hill. All three of them are wearing their trenchcoats during their cameos.

I wonder if that's a gradual way to get them out of the movies... first a non speaking cameo, next movie they might not appear at all... and who knows what happens with them by the movie after that which would be next gen...
I used to like their roles in movies, but if they're going to be all serious, then maybe they better stay out of it

Also, Dogasu, what's about Meloetta's short? I know it may not be the most interesting thing to talk about, but I'd love to hear whatever you got to say about it

So basically this is the first movie without a lot of movie characters. That's pretty unique. I'm very glad the Rocket-dan does absolutely nothing in this movie, the movie producers have finally learned to stop wasting moments with them around.

I'll write up a summary for the Meloetta short later. I wanted to get the Kyurem movie summary, which I assume more of you are interested in, up first.

And the genesect bit at the end? Is the art given for it on the site a still from it, or is something else entirely?

And the genesect bit at the end? Is the art given for it on the site a still from it, or is something else entirely?

It was a teaser trailer. It showed Genesect having the ability to retract his cannon and his limbs. Pokebeach has the video on his site .

I actually like what they did with TR! Though I haven't read the movie, from what Dogasu wrote I can conclude that it may be interesting to try to spot them while watching it! It surely makes them more interesting, as they were plain boring since movie 10, which was the last movie (in my opinion) in which they actually were enjoyable.

And what about the animation?

Here's the plot of "Meloetta's Dazzling Recital." I'll post my actual thoughts on the short later.

- The short begins with all these pokemon gathered in front of Meloetta's stage. The titular pokemon flies in front of everyone, belts out a song, and makes a "Melody Tree" (メロディツリー) spring up. From this tree, five "Melody Berries" (メロディベリー) bloom. These berries create a wonderful sound that compliments Meloetta's singing.
- Nyasu is going completely crazy for Meloetta while this is going on and begins scratching the rock that he and Sonansu are sitting on, for some reason. Well, this "rock" ends up being Iwapalace, and it's not too happy about this cat pokemon scratching up its home! It lets out a powerful Sandstorm attack that scatters four of the Melody Berries away! Meloetta, with the remaining Melody Berry in her hands, floats down sadly onto the stage and mourns the loss of her Berries.
- Nyasu tells Sonansu that he plans to gather all the Melody Berries and present them to Meloetta to make her fall in love with him. Sonansu, being Sonansu, agrees. When Nyasu looks down, however, he sees that Pikachu, Mijumaru, Tsutarja, Kibago, Zurug, Emonga, and Yanapp have already started searching! He doesn't have any time to lose!
- The first Berry is found at the top of a giant tree where Waninoko is playing jump rope with Fushigidane's Vine Whip. Pikachu, Mijumaru, and Yanapp approach them and ask them to help get the Berry down. Nyasu, meanwhile, starts to climb the tree as fast as he can. He looks over and sees Waninoko usingHydro Pump and Mijumaru using Water Gun to boost Pikachu up the tree, enabling it to grab the Berry right as Nyasu reaches the top! Pikachu starts to fall, but luckily Fushigidane is able to catch it with its Vine Whip. Nyasu falls off the tree and creates a big Nyasu-size crater in the ground.
- Melody Berry #2 is found in the hands of Togepi in a rocky area of the forest. Chicorita and Achamo are nearby. The baby pokemon falls over, dropping the Berry and sending it rolling down a hill covered in holes, so Tsutarja and Emonga start to chase after it. After tripping over each other and falling into numerous holes, the pokemon reach the edge of a cliff. There, Chicorita uses its Vine Whip (I guess someone on the staff really likes this technique?) to catch the Melody Berry right as it's about to fall over the edge. Nyasu and Sonansu, meanwhile, fall into a hole and are carried away by a group of Digda. When they reach the Dugtrio at the end of the line, the two of them are sent blasting off.
- Pikachu and Mijumaru search for the third Berry near a pond. There, they meet Potchama and Zenigame and ask for their help. Potchama claims to know where the Melody Berry is and shows them a Pearlu pearl, but the others sigh and tell them that that's not it. Suddenly, they spot the Melody Berry in the claw of a Heigani! Heigani jumps underwater, so Mijumaru, Potchama, and Zenigame go in after it. What ensues is this weird "battle" where Heigani, completely unaware of what it's doing, accidentally deflects every attempt to retrieve the Berry from it. This swinging its claws around while keeping its eyes closed thing that Heigani does continues for a while, but eventually the Melody Berry is jetted out of the water where Pikachu can catch it.
- This sequence also features a ridiculous Koduck scene where it basically just stares at the camera, sweats, and lets out the most hilarious screech as it tries to figure out what's going on. I hope all of you get to see this scene, in Japanese, at least once.
- So during that previous struggle, Heigani sends Nyasu and Sonansu blasting off. As they fly through the sky, they discover the fourth and final Melody Berry sitting on top of a Fuwaride's head. Nyasu is able to get his hands on the Berry temporarily, but all the other pokemon who had been participating in the search so far spot the Berry and create a long chain of pokemon to get up to Fuwaride. Pikachu climbs up the chain and grabs the Berry.
- Now that all four of the missing Melody Berries have been found, the pokemon return them to Meloetta. A performance begins where the delighted pokemon sings that same song she's been singing in the TV series the past few weeks. Gureggru is on stage, for some reason, and has the best blank look on its face ever as Meloetta dances around it. Once that's over, it transforms into its Step Forme. The short's ending theme begins to play as all the pokemon join in on the dance.

A few other things:

- As you may have noticed from the synopsis, the base stage version of the pokemon were used whenever possible. So we get Achamo as a stand-in for Haruka's Burshamo, Chicorita as a stand-in for Satoshi's Bayleaf, etc. The only notable exceptions are Iwapalace and Charbu, the latter of whom is only seen in the crowd shots at the beginning and end.
- The narrator only has like five or six lines in this whole thing. Nyasu ends up doing most of the exposition.
- Throughout the short, we see random transition shots of Gureggru just sitting there, staring at the camera and puffing out its cheeks.
- Nyasu and Sonansu blast off three times in this short, and Nyasus says "ya na kanjii~!" at least two of those times. The final time they blast off, Sonansu joins in as well.
- The pictures of lots of (small and cute) legendary pokemon are hidden throughout the short as Easter eggs. There's a Celebi-shaped spot in a tree in the foreground, for example. The pokemon's locations are revealed during the ending theme.

The short sounds nice, actually interested me more than the movie itself XD
I still think it's crazy they took all main cast Poké, devolved them and put them together like that... so crazy to see Misty's Togepi and Dawn's Piplup and May's Torchic all together XD but I guess we're just not supposed to find any logic in this
BTW, not like it really matters, but was the short shown before or after the movie? if I'm not wrong, the dub used to put these before the movie while in Japan they had them AFTER the movie...

I must say that the movie is actually sounding rather interesting. Can't wait to hear your personal thoughts on it, Dogasu.

Could this actually be the first time since the Manaphy movie that a Pokémon Movie actually is enjoyable? Woah. That'd be amazing. And I'm glad to see that both Dento and Iris are more or less contributing to the plot too, considering that their roles in the last movie were horribly stale and boring (except for the beginning of the movie), while Ash whored up all of the screen-time.

Seeing an actual epic battle too is something that I've been looking forward to, so hopefully Keldeo and Kyurem will live up to my expectations.

Wait, so this whole thing was just a giant test to see if Keldeo can be a Sacred Swordsman?

Wait, so this whole thing was just a giant test to see if Keldeo can be a Sacred Swordsman?

Yeah pretty much.. I don't think we even had an actual antagonist in this movie. It seemed more like a "respect or listen to your elders" thing since Keldeo just ran into fighting Kyurem randomly.

Oh my gosh the TRio stuff in the end credits sounds amazingly cute. <3

And poor horny Nyasu. XD Just makes the tweets about him and Meloetta today all the more amusing.

Wow, im glad we get to see Cilan and Iris do a heck a lot more in this movie as well as watch an epic fight between Kyurem and Keldeo, but to me it just doesn't seem complete to me without an actual human antagonist to mess things up a bit, though i must say it makes this movie more unique that it had no real antagonist.

It seems to me that this movie is more or less revolved around the test of courage for Keldeo to overcome.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom