• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M15: Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice

There was one aspect of the movie that I never truly understood, even in the English dub. Why did Keldeo challenge Kyurem to a battle in the first place? Keldeo claimed that it would become a Sword of Justice if it challenged and defeated Kyurem in a battle, but then there was that dialogue from Iris which inferred that all of the Swords of Justice challenged Kyurem to a battle to gain their titles.

It never made sense that the Swords of Justice battled Kyurem in the first place. Kyurem was completely secluded from humans in an abandoned mine, and with the exception of the Cryogonal that it ruled over it hardly interacted with anybody prior to the Keldeo battle. Kyurem did not threaten the lives of any humans or Pokemon until Keldeo ran away from fear after their first battle, and even then Kyurem was only interested in finishing its battle with Keldeo. Kyurem practically ignored Ash and his friends' attempts to stop it from getting to Keldeo. I can understand why Kyurem chased after Keldeo throughout the movie, but what was the justification of their conflict to begin with?

Did Kyurem solely exist to test Keldeo's potential as a Sword of Justice? It felt that way to me, since Kyurem decided to leave after it saw Keldeo using its power to protect Ash and the others. Kyurem even helped to save the lives of Ash and his friends by freezing the collapsing structures in the mine. I wish there was more footage in the movie that helped to answer most of these questions.

I think it was mostly about Keldeo wanting to prove himself strong enough to be a Sword of Justice by beating the strongest Pokemon around. Since the Swords happened to train near Kyurem's stomping grounds...you do the math.

Personally, I think the movie would've been better served by giving Keldeo's character more time to develop. Having him ready to rush back into the fray against Kyurem so soon after getting so freaked out felt rushed. He should've had more time to wrestle with both his fear and his guilt over leaving the three Poke-teers behind before deciding to go back and challenge Kyurem again. Similarly, when Ash and Keldeo reached Kyurem's lair and Keldeo got scared again, I was expecting Ash to challenge Kyurem himself. Keldeo would watch Ash control his own fear in battle and draw inspiration from him; then, Ash would get into serious trouble, and Keldeo would fight through his own fear to step in and save Ash. Of course, that would've required more time that the movie didn't have. (It aired in an hour-and-a-half slot; subtract the commercials, and we're left with just over an hour. With all the action, character arcs kinda took a back seat.) Also, I kinda thought the collapsing mine would've posed more of a danger to Our Gang and required Keldeo to be more of a hero for his friends, but I guess not...

Some museum curator's gonna be pissed...And will Cilan please knock it off with the "[insert hobby here] connoisseur" business? "Box lunch connoisseur"? Please...

I honestly enjoyed this movie alot and it's probably gonna become one of my top 10 favorites. It was different from the usual plot where Ash is the main focus and instead it was a Pokemon who was the main hero. I like how Iris and Cilan actually did something useful. For once Ash's travel partners got attention and were helpful. I like how Cilan used Crustle's Rock Wrecker to fight off the Crygonal and Stunkfisk's Thundershock to power the train. Also found Iris being "bait" and controlling the blimp amusing for some reason. The art was fantastic , the best I've seen in any Pokemon movie. And it made even the boring parts interesting. Keldeo's voice actually ended up fitting and Vic Mignogna did a pretty good job. Liked the voices for Virizion, Cobalion , and Terrakion too as well, but Kyurem's sounded a bit odd.

And am I the only who's bothered by how Virizion was pronounced? Especially when the Japanese and English names are the same and the Japanese version has a set pronunciation too. It reminds me of the phone company , Verizon . And yeah I'm aware Verizon is only an American company but still. Though that trivial part doesn't extremely affect what I think of the movie. It's a enjoyable movie with a fascinating story and I'm considering buy it when the DVD comes out, just to see if they dub the Meloetta short.

Here's one small nitpick that I thought during a scene in the movie: When Ash found out that Scraggy wasn't on the train as it started to depart, why didn't he just use Scraggy's Pokeball to recall him? :/

I wondered that too, but without that little scene they (or rather pikachu) wouldn't have found Keldeo.

This movie was okay. Not as good as the Black and White movies, but it was still good. I don't know why, but it seemed shorter than the other movies.

Also, did they make Iris' bangs longer? She looks a lot older and mature, and I think it's because of her bangs.

Wanna know a pretty neat thing I thought about during the movie? I was in a live stream watching the movie with other people. While Ash, Co. and Keldeo was in the city, they noticed there was no other people walking the streets when Kyurem appeared. I noticed it was night and remember that in the games, Lacunosa Town, people stayed inside during the night because of Kyurem! And in the movie, this city was also near Kyurem's "lair"! I think this is very creative done by the movie team! :D

In the city when Black Kyurem was attacking Ash, Keldeo and co. there was a moment with the scenery [particularly one of the tall black skyscrapers] and the music made the scene reminiscent of Black City. I did really enjoy that, if it was intended to be an allusion.

Is nobody else pissed off that Iris could fly a blimp I mean in addition to being ten and not liking school: She's the NATURE girl. She got all these nature powers which include uber instincts, enhanced sight, the ability to understand dragons, advanced acrobatics and TOUCHING A DRAGON AND SEEING FLASH BACKS. Those first few are kinda powers but that one is undeniably a power and it came out of nowhere. And the explanation we are given is she's spends time in the jungle and lives in this uber spiritual place but then the undermine that by giving her the ability to fly a blimp. I CAN'T FLY A BLIMP. YOU CAN'T FLY A BLIMP. So how can Iris who's a ten year girl and lives in world with low amounts if any universal education fly a blimp?

Have you ever tried flying a blimp? I can fly a blimp. She probably a blimp manual in her hair of hers, along with her backpack when she's not wearing it.

:p

Is nobody else pissed off that Iris could fly a blimp I mean in addition to being ten and not liking school: She's the NATURE girl. She got all these nature powers which include uber instincts, enhanced sight, the ability to understand dragons, advanced acrobatics and TOUCHING A DRAGON AND SEEING FLASH BACKS. Those first few are kinda powers but that one is undeniably a power and it came out of nowhere. And the explanation we are given is she's spends time in the jungle and lives in this uber spiritual place but then the undermine that by giving her the ability to fly a blimp. I CAN'T FLY A BLIMP. YOU CAN'T FLY A BLIMP. So how can Iris who's a ten year girl and lives in world with low amounts if any universal education fly a blimp?

Go fly a jet like a I flawlessly did in my first time and you'll understand that it's nothing unbelievable :p. It's really easy, actually.

I loved the movie! I felt nostalgic during the World of Pokemon sequence. But the whole time I felt like watching Fullmetal Alchemist. XD

Why didn't Ash recall Scraggy into its poké ball, when it was trying to board the train? Other than that, was a decent movie.

Finally watched on DVR. I really enjoyed this movie! Love the Swords of Justice! This flick is certainly in my top three.

-This movie used a lot of sweeping CGI scenes, moreso than any other Pokemon film. I thought they were done very well, though. Those ice gates especially.

-Some of the CGI reminded me of the video game cutscenes, especially a couple shots of Kyurem.

-I like how they used lots of flashbacks to develop characters and advance some of the plot, especially when Keldeo thinks back to what the Three Musketeers told him. It's good that those scenes were there to put them more in the middle of the movie because it would have been dull to just freeze them in the beginning and forget about them until the end. The Iris flashbacks were really good. The one set of flashbacks that didn't make sense was when Iris and Cilan drove the vehicles away to be bait. Why not show them talking to Keldeo in chronological order as they pilot the blimp/ train? I was surprised by the Cilan scene, though, it seemed like Ash was there after they made it clear that only Iris and Axew were on the blimp.

-The Swords of Justice all had awesome facial expressions.

-TERRAKION'S VOICE OMG. I SMILED EVERY TIME HE SPOKE.

-Ash was surprisingly competent at some points, knowing to use Rock, Fire, Steel, and Fighting moves to bust ice. Although, he still had that headstrong tendency to jump into danger just to be heroic. (and had some wild escape scenes with Keldeo)

-Loved that Best Wishes line. At least the dubbers remembered SOMETHING!

-LOL Stunfisk. I really thought it was Pikachu at first in that scene with the electricity by Cilan's feet. See my flashback comment above.

-The train Ash & co traveled on looked almost live action at some points.

-Surprised to not see Team Rocket other than Jessie in disguise at the beginning.

-What is up with the "swords?" It looked like all four of them used Secret Sword when it's supposed to be Keldeo's signature move, is a Special attack, and Sacred Sword is Physical. (they all looked like Special moves to me, especially in that shot at the end, and Virizion knew Keldeo was using Secret Sword right off the bat)

-I was surprised that Kyurem was just testing Keldeo and knew that he told a lie. Looks like there were no "true" villians in this movie, except maybe the mindless Cryogonal.

-I thought the voice acting was fine. Vic sounded all right.

-This movie had a good message. Don't let fear take over your life, learn courage, and your friends can be with you all the time.

-Keldeo can change back and forth? In the games that could only happen if it forgets Secret Sword.

-I loved it when Keldeo jumped over the flaming branch in the beginning and cooly put the fire out with the water jets from his hooves. It was in the previews, but I still got a kick out of it in the real movie.

-I loved that the Swords of Justice had an oath. They're a really cool group of legendaries, actually my second favorite behind the Kanto birds.

Fun fact: The TV I watched it on had closed captions on, and it sometimes labeled the Grass/Fighting type as "Verizion." *facepalm*

It was frustrating to see the gang just stand there while Keldeo was having the sword-trouble.

Quite enjoyable... It was at least better than some of the previous movies.
Terrakion's personality was something I never expected (before I watched the trailers). Never thought someone tough looking could be funny and cheerful.

The famous Mother and daughter in the movie:
attachment.php

And a treat for CafeMochaShippers ;)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cafemocha 1.png
    cafemocha 1.png
    465.9 KB · Views: 4,418
  • cafemocha 2.png
    cafemocha 2.png
    317 KB · Views: 6,658
  • Mother and daughter.png
    Mother and daughter.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 3,568
Last edited:
I'm betting Cartoon Network made a ton of time cuts based on them apparently only setting aside an hour and a half to air the whole thing. Unless the 92 minute runtime I'm seeing on Japanese sites is for both the Keldeo main feature and the Meloetta short?

The movie is just that short - about 71 minutes, including full ending sequence.

Also, for some reason, YTV airing moved the opening between "World of Pokemon" and the introductory scene. The DVD version would probably have the "proper" order, but i wonder about CN. I doubt the ending is "unfinished" - it's probably just the shorter version whuch may have been ordered by TV station to have more time for commercials.

I quite liked the movie. Was surprised at the shorter length at first but in the end it was well paced in my opinion.

Even before the movie I thought Keldeo was a cutie, and now I like him even more. They kept him and his story interesting for me, and I felt sorry for him when he was afraid. Really liked that Keldeo lost the battle, and that Kyurem was a "good" Pokémon after all (and how all that tied into the final lesson). Before the movie I didn't really care about the Muskedeers, but they were pretty cool in this. I used to think Terrakion was just a "roar & stomp" Pokémon, so them giving him a funny personality was great.

I think this movie could've worked without the human characters, buuuut in the end I didn't really mind them very much. At least there wasn't a human villain.

I watched the new Pokémon movie, My Little Keldeo: The Sword of Friendship... no, The Magic of Justice... ok no I GOT POKEMON AND MLP ALL MIXED UP NOW...
OK wall of text coming up I'M SORRY (not really)

Cilan: "I am a box lunch connoisseur."
OH CILAN...

So the twerps went on a train but forgot Scraggy outside and there's a whole mess of getting it back on the train and I have to wonder - why the hell Ash didn't just call it back into its ball... that would solve the problem immediately... but I guess it makes too much sense for Ash to do it XD (but omfg it was cute when Ash then hugged Scraggy and apologized)

I liked how Iris had flashback to her village's elder, but I have to wonder how come Axew was there in these flashbacks if Iris supposedly left her village the moment she got Axew... or at least so it seemed to me...

I'm not a big fan of Iris but I have to say it was cute when she tells Keldeo she'll be the bait for Kyurem and then just hug it and wish it good luck <3
Talking about that, I couldn't stop laughing at how when Cryogonal and Kyurem find Iris and she tells them it's only her and Axew there, Axew just became so excited and jumped all around cheering like crazy XD

Keldeo: "Ash, why are you doing this for me?"
Ash: "Huh?"
Keldeo: "I mean, you just met me..."
Ash: "What are you talking about? Come on, we're friends, right?"
Keldeo: "Friends?"
Ash: "Friends! And besides, you're a blast to be around!"
...Ash you're so fucking cute, also OMG IT IS MLP -FRIENDSHIP- IS MAGIC

I like how Ash send out his Pokémon to break and melt the ice with their fire and rock type moves, then he just picks a stick and starts striking the ice too, cause he just HAS to do something himself, he can't just stand there and let his Pokémon do all the work...
GOD I LOVE THIS BOY

Virizion: "Ash, you have our gratitude"
Ash: "How do you know my name?"
Cobalion: "We heard you through the ice."
OMFG LOLLLLLLLL I officially lost it this moment XD
Seriously I was just like OK I'M DONE ARE THEY SERIOUS??? they randomly know Ash's name and somehow they heard everything that went on while they were frozen inside the ice that was so thick it took forever to melt/break it??? ok...

So yeah nice movie, mostly for the cute friendship stuff, I just love these things so much <3 I also liked that Iris and Cilan did some stuff rather than just get stuck in the background... and now I want a Keldeo in my game but the jerks don't do a wifi event for it so I'm screwed FML

EDIT: Okay, I'm sorry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pokemon the Movie: Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice= Best Pokemon movie ever, I'm not even kidding. Better than Mewtwo Strikes Back, better than Power of One, better than Rise of Darkrai, it is absoulutly amazing!!

The opening sequence was brilliant, a great rendition of Rival Destinies while we get to see awsome dynamics between the mascot Pokemon.

Everyone got a role; Cilan and Iris really shined this movie with their respective stolen museum pieces. Crustle and Stunfisk even got to do things too :D

The five legendaries were all given such amazing personalities and all got great focus throughout the movie.

Ash, Pikachu, Pignite and Boldore seemed even more epic when they were breaking the ice, and of course Boldore got to be a sledge :D Is it just me or did Boldore look stunnung? All the enviroments and ice looked amazing and Boldore seemed to get the same treatment.

I have to ask though, with Ash and Cilan's full teams all getting a flatering role here. Where the f*** was Excadrill?

The movie made me cringe and I didn't like it; but that's because I'm 23 and I should know better than to watch things as twee as Pokémon movies with the expectation that they'll conform to my idea of Pokémon.

• I thought the Swords of Justice attacked humans?
  • I thought Kyurem was a hollow lifeform - the empty leftovers of Zekrom and Reshiram becoming separate beings - that lacked a soul and just liked freezing and killing things?
  • I appreciate that they were in mortal danger, but a group of children breaking into a museum at night and stealing an airship?
  • Nurse Joy casually mentioning that a Pokémon as violent and destructive as Kyurem lives in an abandoned mineshaft, to a group of children.
  • Wandering around a city with a legendary Pokémon like Keldeo and no one comes up and asks what it is?

I liked how Iris had flashback to her village's elder, but I have to wonder how come Axew was there in these flashbacks if Iris supposedly left her village the moment she got Axew... or at least so it seemed to me...

Axew maybe tagged along with her and when she was leaving, they let her keep him?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom