• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M16: ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens ・ PK25: Pikachu and Eievui Friends

I loved the movie theme song "Egao" ever since I heard it in the preview, but now I simply can't stop listening to the full version. It' such a cheerful song. : )

Did Ash's Pokémon do anything? Did Charizard have a lot of screentime and do something noteworthy?

What Pokemon not shown in the previews lived in Pokemon Hills?

And speaking of which, I'm shocked that they didn't include any Kalos Pokemon in the area. I mean, it certainly would've made more sense than Ordile.

What moves did that Gang of Pokemon under Gothitelle in The Pikachu short know does anyone know at all.

Charmander4 said:
Did Ash's Pokémon do anything? Did Charizard have a lot of screentime and do something noteworthy?

Not really. He let out all his pokemon at the beginning of the movie so they could play during the opening credits. Other than that, we don't really see any of his pokemon until he has his Mijumaru join in with the other Water-Types to extinguish the fire that breaks out in Pokemon Hills. His Lizardon also helps break Myuutwo's / Red Genosect's fall at the end.

ArginX said:
What Pokemon not shown in the previews lived in Pokemon Hills?

pokemon_hills.jpg

Chocadial said:
What moves did that Gang of Pokemon under Gothitelle in The Pikachu short know does anyone know at all.

No idea.

I am Curious if Team Rocket did Anything?

Again, all they did was set up a Chevhok's Gun:

Dogasu said:
They sort-of kind-of contributed. At one point in the movie, the Rocket trio's snuck into Pokemon Hills and watch as the Genosect make the cocoon. Kojirou points a bazooka and is about to fire when the Red Genosect (I think? It could have just been one of the regular Genosect) zips in and blasts them away. The bazooka falls onto one of the threads holding the cocoon in the air. Later, an attack or something shakes Pokemon Hills, causing Kojirou's bazooka to jostle loose and fall down toward one of the Genosect. I don't remember 100% what happened here, but I *think* it was Satoshi who has one of his pokemon push the bazooka away with an attack to prevent it from injuring the Genosect. This, in turn, helps the pokemon trust him more.

(I assume we're just following on in this thread for dub reviews?)

I came in not expecting much from this movie after hearing that it wasn't going to cover the Genesect creation story - with a Team Plasma logo on the door of the lab about the only reference there. So I wouldn't say I'm disappointed - just it's a very bland and generic storyline, saved by the short running time making it not really drag out as much.

This could have been done with any fossil Pokemon and be almost the same - I don't think being created by humans impacted the Genesect that much plot-wise, so it was just Mewtwo's hangups about that pushing that side of the story. You're really left with revived fossils feeling out of place in the modern era - so basically that Archeops episode from earlier in BW - where the solution was for them to go back in time, though here it was finding a modern era snapshot of that place.

I also didn't get their attacking of Pokemon from a plot perspective - hating humans for wrecking their natural environment is logical, but the Pokemon did no wrong that should have made them targets. Perhaps they could have made a distinction on the different era of Pokemon - but I'd say Golem should be one of the oldest non-fossil Pokemon and they still played a role.

The movie was almost totally devoid of human characters, and those that remained did almost nothing - Ash just watched on half the time. Ash's one contribution was making the link between the flowers and the previous mention of the flowers - something I'm sure everyone watching would have picked up on the moment they appeared.

Not going to be in a rush to watch this again.

I did like the longer version of It's always you and me - indeed all of those longer versions of the dub themes end up pretty good, it's a shame we have to wait for the movies to hear them.

The Chansey recurring joke was great. Though it's amazing how happy they can be with the Audino taking all their jobs!

Iris looked a bit off in the movie, but otherwise I have no complaints about the animation (not that I notice half the stuff usually complained about); and the dub sounded good enough, the main purple Genesect's voice is a bit odd but bearable.

I saw the movie on CITV this morning after dragging myself out of bed at nine this morning and my first impressions are that the movie was pretty enjoyable, though I would like to do a proper review of this movie and start dissecting the story soon. The dub follow the Japanese's lead and have Mewtwo voiced by a female voice actor who was pretty good and I'm looking forward to see who the voice was. I felt she had some massive shoes to fill since Phillip Bartlett and Dan Green gave us some solid performances in Movie 1 & Mewtwo Returns.

I can sort of see why the writers used a "new" Mewtwo rather than the one from Movie 1. To be honest I feel that as a character "old" Mewtwo got his closure in Mewtwo Returns as it was intended, while it would have been a cool prospect to see "old" Mewtwo to come back and get developed further with his its new form, I think that the writers would have to go out of their way to re-introduce Mewtwo to a new audience after so long.

The writers just took the easy route and made a "new" Mewtwo for the sake of time and simplicity.

On the whole the dubs scripting and voice acting was solid and the musical score by Shinji Myazaki was top notch as always. The extended "It's always you & me" felt as bland and generic as you can get from John Loffler & David Woolfert and I feel indifferent since the song made its debut. I just hope that XY's theme (which wasn't revealed in CITV's preview of XY today) is more about Ash himself and less if not zero of the "friendshippy" stuff, I'm getting a little tired of it. The final song "We're Coming Home" by Jess Domain was really good and fit the theme of the movie well.

So overall an enjoyable movie all round.

Last edited:
Watched the movie and to be honest, I was left feeling a little disappointed. It kinda reminded me of the Deoxys movie... looked nice but really there wasn't much going on. It was just the basic 'two Pokemon battling before learning something about each other' plot. Also, Ash and friends did not impact the plot at all - I can't help but feel that exactly the same might have happened if the gang hadn't been around for this (I'm pretty certain that Eric could have easily worked out where to transplant the Genesect himself given a little time). I liked a couple of bits... some of the flashbacks were well done and I enjoyed the sequence of the gang's Pokemon enjoying Pokemon Hills but otherwise this is pretty much the weakest BW movie of the three.

Also, what the hell was up with Sableye whoring the limelight? What a random choice of Pokemon to put in there... couldn't there have been a Generation VI Pokemon to debut in its place?

I wonder who's voicing Mewtwo & Purple Genesect. I think Vic Mignogna is Red Genesect as he kinda sounds like Broly from DBZ.

I need to watch this movie again to really get a better understanding of it.

-I really liked the overarching theme of existentialism and belonging. The scene with Mewtwo and the Red Genesect holding hands was touching. I also liked the first scene where Mewtwo floated through the sky with those birds.

-The Genesect had a nice balance of talking to people and talking and acting like bugs.

-I didn't get why all those random Pokémon had to show up during that battle other than adding action. They just showed up very quickly with little explanation.

-Eric didn't do much during the climax.

-I was hoping the Douse Drive Genesect would have a better scene or say a better line when it finally found a "home." Ash filling in that statement wasn't that effective.

-Was that just the TV cut, or is the intro really after that first scene with Mewtwo?

-Red Genesect sounded like Kyurem from the last movie. And who plays Mewtwo and the other Genesect?

-At least they DID mention Team Plasma somewhere.

-The animators did a good job of taking time away from the Mewtwo-Red Genesect action to show the Douse Drive Genesect looking at those flower petals. That was one thing in the climax that was very understandable.

-It seemed like Ash did recognize Mewtwo, only he was surprised to see it. Iris and Cilan were the ones showing most of the surprise.

Overall, it wasn't the worst Pokémon movie, but not the best either.

This movie. Was. GREAT! :D

Probably my new favorite now along with Keldeo's film! You really feel bad for the young female Genesect (she's got to be female, that voice is like a little girl's) because she doesn't want to be controlled and ordered around by that shiny Genesect. She just wants a place to live is all. And Ash being so gentle with her was great. Mewtwo is probably female and a different Mewtwo than the one Ash met in the very first movie. I bet after the first Mewtwo escaped and stuff, Team Rocket decided to make another one, only this one was born female and escaped just like the first one.

I like how Mewtwo finally made the shiny Genesect understand after so long. It shows that the Genesect were just really confused and so unfamiliar with the new world around them.

I thought the movie was quite enjoyable, but then again, I'm kind of a sucker for those types of friendship stories. The whole question of where we belong was interesting, and reminded me of the (Japanese) first movie Mewtwo asking about his worth. I was disappointed that Eric didn't get a bigger role in the movie though since I was looking forward to seeing another character of the day getting a big role in a Pokemon movie. The music in the movie was quite good though. Overall, I think it was enjoyable enough that I would watch it a second time.

I bet after the first Mewtwo escaped and stuff, Team Rocket decided to make another one, only this one was born female and escaped just like the first one.

I've already explained and posted canon Japanese materials of why this couldn't have happened countless of times, so I'll just keep it short and say no.

The creators of this Mewtwo were misc scientists that we never really learn anything about.

I think that the writers would have to go out of their way to re-introduce Mewtwo to a new audience after so long.

But they did that anyway by having special showings of the first movie on multiple occasions before this film's initial premiere...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom