• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M16: ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens ・ PK25: Pikachu and Eievui Friends

9/11's not the only time New York's ever had smoke coming out of it.

It's the most memorable time. I'm not saying it isn't reminiscent of other times or other places. It can be reminiscent of multiple things. But it is reminiscent of 9/11 to anyone who isn't so desperate to forget 9/11.

You don't have to be "desperate to forget 9/11" to not be reminded of the tragedy every time you see smoke coming out of a city in a children's movie. To me, 9/11 is a very specific event - airplanes flying into identical twin towers - and is so very different from what we see in this movie that I wouldn't have even thought to look for anything like that if I hadn't read that "review" posted on PokeBeach.

I suppose every other scene of a building being destroyed in this series is "reminiscent of 9/11" as well?

Was Mewtwo confirmed to be a girl and did the Genesect Army have any confirmed genders? Genderless doesn't count by the way even though they are legendaries.

Was Mewtwo confirmed to be a girl and did the Genesect Army have any confirmed genders? Genderless doesn't count by the way even though they are legendaries.

... The heck does this mean? Their species are genderless. They can't have confirmed genders. That counts, because it's what they are. ._.

Pokelova said:
Like I said, this city was based on New York City.

So was the entire Isshu Region. That doesn't mean that every shot of a building being damaged or every shot of smoke coming out of a building during the last three years or so was "reminiscent of 9/11."

pattyman said:
Was Mewtwo confirmed to be a girl and did the Genesect Army have any confirmed genders?

No, but it's pretty obvious that the Mewtwo in this movie is meant to be female just like it was obvious that the Mewtwo in the first movie / Mewtwo Returns special was meant to be male. The Japanese voice actor for the Myuutwo in this movie (Takashima Reiko) has stated in interviews that she tried to give Myuutwo a "motherly" quality to its voice, and while no similar interview exists for its English voice actor I wouldn't be surprised if she approached the role the same way.

As for the Genesect...again, I haven't seen the dub yet, but in the original version the main Genosect that Satoshi befriends had a little boy quality to its voice.

So was the entire Isshu Region. That doesn't mean that every shot of a building being damaged or every shot of smoke coming out of a building during the last three years or so was "reminiscent of 9/11."

We're not talking about just any building having smoke coming out of it. We're talking about smoke that encompasses a large portion of a NEW YORK BASED CITY.

2i26agm.png

9-11-n1.jpg

How much longer are you going to be in denial?

It's not denial. It's called "I simply don't agree with you." There is a difference.

Besides, it doesn't matter what you or I think because neither TPCI nor Cartoon Network found the scene offensive enough to cut from the airing of the movie and I don't see anyone raising enough of a stink to get them to cut it from future airings / the DVD release.

I wasn't suggesting they cut it at all. xD

But like I said, I'm from Canada, and 9/11 wasn't a big factor in my life, but it was the first thing to come to mind when I see a city, which is based off New York, engulfed in smoke.

It's fine if others don't see it, but there are definitely people out there who did see it.

... The heck does this mean? Their species are genderless. They can't have confirmed genders. That counts, because it's what they are. ._.

The genderless ratio only applies to the games. Besides, there has been at least many legendaries who are normally genderless, such as movie 15's Keldeo, who were confirmed male in the dub.

No, but it's pretty obvious that the Mewtwo in this movie is meant to be female just like it was obvious that the Mewtwo in the first movie / Mewtwo Returns special was meant to be male. The Japanese voice actor for the Myuutwo in this movie (Takashima Reiko) has stated in interviews that she tried to give Myuutwo a "motherly" quality to its voice, and while no similar interview exists for its English voice actor I wouldn't be surprised if she approached the role the same way.

As for the Genesect...again, I haven't seen the dub yet, but in the original version the main Genosect that Satoshi befriends had a little boy quality to its voice.

There was stuff going around about Mewtwo being a girl so I wanted to see if it was true or not. The original version usually triumphs over the dub in terms of gender confirmation. I didn't really think the character's voice usually determined the gender, with Ash Ketchum being a notable example as his voice actor is the opposite gender.

Has NOA distributed the Red Genosect and/or the Myuutwo that was distributed when this movie hit theaters in Japan? Or did they just say screw it, we're on Generation VI now we're not going to even bother?

Has NOA distributed the Red Genosect and/or the Myuutwo that was distributed when this movie hit theaters in Japan? Or did they just say screw it, we're on Generation VI now we're not going to even bother?

Neither made it anywhere outside Asia, unfortunately.

That was one of the poorer movies, which is a shame when the one before it was one of the better ones.

I enjoyed this film better than I thought I would. I saw it in Hoyts theatres last Sunday (Australia).

I really liked the mewtwo in this despite it being a different one. I really enjoyed the story and the battle scenes were quite amazing. I thought the Chansey thing was funny.XP

It's a favourite so far. I'm now waiting for the DVD.=3

Got the DVD today, and i'm glad to hear they fixed the fuck-up with the opening song. I found it so irritating when it aired on Cartoon Network and i couldn't hear the song very well cuz they forgot to mute the sound effects and pokemon cries. The dvd has it properly muted, just like in all the previous movies, so i can finally hear the damn song now. Personally, i rather like this song (though not nearly as much as the first XY theme), and i hope i can find a good quality mp3 of it, like i did with some of the previous movie version themes.

Also, @ the above post, the card is of the red Genesect.

I would like to think TPCi heard the outcry over the opening song and muted the voices because of it.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom