• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M16: ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens ・ PK25: Pikachu and Eievui Friends

garrison-san

someone in the dark
Reaction score
(Please note: If anyone had a legitimate review of the film posted in the old review thread, they are very welcome to repost it here.)

On 13th July, the sixteenth Pokemon movie, entitled "ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens", debuted in Japan, along with the latest Pikachu short, "Pikachu and Eevee Friends" (which marks the anime debut of new eeveelution on the block, Sylveon).

The introduction of a second Mewtwo has of course been one of the film's major talking points, but please remember that this is NOT the place in which to rant or debate about how you feel with regards to the entire concept of a second Mewtwo. This is a thread in which to review and ask questions about the sixteenth Pokemon film. Opinions upon the role/portrayal of the new Mewtwo and comparisons with the old Mewtwo are perfectly acceptable, just be sure to keep everything pertinent to the content of the film.

Last edited:
OK Got it, I think understand on this one i think. Does anyone know if the Sableye that was in the Movie had a Very significant Role in the Movie or not or did it use Moves at all or did it not at all because it is a shy Pokemon like the Summaries say about it.

It wasn't *very* significant, but it did have a role to play. At around the halfway point Yamirami is the one who alerts Satoshi and the others to the fact that the Genosect are taking over Pokemon Hills. Later, Yamirami uses its Psychic powers to help create the cushion of water that helps break Myuutwo's and the Red Genosect's fall.

Other than that, it just mostly sits there and looks cute.

As for the shyness part...it acts kind of shy during the opening credits, hiding behind trees and whatnot, but it seems to get over it pretty quickly.

Since this is for the short too, I want to know if we got to see any other powers Sylveon has, and if there seems to be a central theme to what it can do.

I'm kind of curious about Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu: did they...well contribute isn't really the right word, but did they have a lot of (comedy) scenes or was it just like the 14th movie, where they just got a little screentime?

Also, did they meet Satoshi and friends?

Samurott said:
Since this is for the short too, I want to know if we got to see any other powers Sylveon has, and if there seems to be a central theme to what it can do.

I'll just copy and paste what I posted on my site: "...Nymphia doesn't really use any attacks that can be identified at any point in the short. It just sort of twirls its ribbons around a bunch."

Tepig in a BBQ said:
I'm kind of curious about Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu: did they...well contribute isn't really the right word, but did they have a lot of (comedy) scenes or was it just like the 14th movie, where they just got a little screentime?

They sort-of kind-of contributed. At one point in the movie, the Rocket trio's snuck into Pokemon Hills and watch as the Genosect make the cocoon. Kojirou points a bazooka and is about to fire when the Red Genosect (I think? It could have just been one of the regular Genosect) zips in and blasts them away. The bazooka falls onto one of the threads holding the cocoon in the air. Later, an attack or something shakes Pokemon Hills, causing Kojirou's bazooka to jostle loose and fall down toward one of the Genosect. I don't remember 100% what happened here, but I *think* it was Satoshi who has one of his pokemon push the bazooka away with an attack to prevent it from injuring the Genosect. This, in turn, helps the pokemon trust him more.

Also, did they meet Satoshi and friends?

Nope.

Sounds trivial, but what Id really like to hear are the moves used. Did Mewtwo use Psystrike? Did the purple Genesct use anything other than Techno blast and Signal beam and did they have varying move sets? Sylveon may not have used moves but did the other Eeveelutuions?

HOW MUCH OF THE FILM WAS TEAM ROCKET IN BUT, PROBABLY NOT MUCH OF IT BUT I AM CURIOUS BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES THAT GOT ME TO WATCH THE SHOW, ESPECIALLY Wobbufet EVEN THOUGH HE WAS NOT IN THIS MOVIE.

on that topic was there any past movie/game character cameo?
According to Gin/Sunyshore: N, the Isshu Gym Leaders, the rivals, and some other Best Wishes characters all make cameo appearances in the credits.

N in particular... I have no idea why they thought it was a cool idea to not include N in a major role in this movie, when he was the one that found out about Genesect breaking out of the P2 Laboratory in Episode N. Would have been a nice continuation of that. I guess he didn't care too much about Plasma's shenanigans being let loose. A little out-of-character, but alright. :/

Last edited:
Just wondering, did "The Mother of Rohta" appear in this movie?

i don't think she appear since movie 14

on that topic was there any past movie/game character cameo?
She did appear in Movie 15.

2cda4xd.jpg

The Final Preview looked Great and the Douse Drive Genesect sounds like a 10 Year Old Kid to me and WHY DO I have the feeling that Billy Bob Thompson might Voice the Genesect with their Cry Maybe or Something.

So...do Japanese kids get confused seeing "Monsters University" and "Pocket Monsters" together in theaters?

L-05308 said:
Sounds trivial, but what Id really like to hear are the moves used. Did Mewtwo use Psystrike? Did the purple Genesct use anything other than Techno blast and Signal beam and did they have varying move sets? Sylveon may not have used moves but did the other Eeveelutuions?

...Probably? I don't really pay attention to pokemon movesets.

The pre-order bonus Myuutwo available right now can use Psycho Break, Ice Beam, Heal Pulse, and Hurricane but I'm quite certain we never see it use Ice Beam or Heal Pulse in the movie.

Fennekin said:
Just wondering, did "The Mother of Rohta" appear in this movie?

I remember seeing her daughter in the end credits. If the mom also appears, it was one of those "blink and you'll miss it" cameos.

FANG-TAN said:
N in particular... I have no idea why they thought it was a cool idea to not include N in a major role in this movie, when he was the one that found out about Genesect breaking out of the P2 Laboratory in Episode N.

They had enough to cram into this movie as it was. Trying to shoehorn N into the story - a character who already got an entire arc to himself - means they would have had to cut some other stuff out.

They had enough to cram into this movie as it was. Trying to shoehorn N into the story - a character who already got an entire arc to himself - means they would have had to cut some other stuff out.
If they intended to have N as a fixture of the plot to begin with, that hypothetical version of the movie would be able to accommodate. Obviously including him in what they have now wouldn't fit, though it's not like I wouldn't have preferred that over certain aspects of the plot either way.

I wouldn't call it shoehorning either, at least in the hypothetical scenario that involves the movie delving into N further investigating the Genesect problem. N was part of the prelude to the Genesect movie, after all. It's out-of-character for him to just drop it regardless. (Actually, I think N looking into the Genesect problem would have made for a better prologue than the Mewtwo one.)

So...do Japanese kids get confused seeing "Monsters University" and "Pocket Monsters" together in theaters?
As confused as they get when they see those blasted "Digital Monsters" running about on television. Don't get me started when Doraemon-related commercials air consecutively after Pokemon commercials.

Last edited:
Also, a bunch of Ishizumai find Dent's Iwapalace and start to fanboy / fangirl over it, presumably because Iwapalace is this cool evolved pokemon. They then start to follow Iwapalace around the park.

This sounds really, really cute. It was annoying Iwapalace's characterization as a Ishizumai was lost, so this is nice.

There's this really funny scene where Satoshi is asking Genosect if it's lost. He says the word for lost child - maigo (迷子) - but it seems like Genosect doesn't understand what that means. So, after thinking for a minute, he stands up and shouts ""Mo~m!? Mo~m!? Where are you?" - Y'know, someone like that."

This Moe-sect will be the death of me, that's just adorable.

Last edited:
  • When Satoshi and his friends arrive at Pokemon Hills, Dent talks about how lucky (ラッキー) they are that they get to see this facility before it's opened to the public. Satoshi gets excited and thinks Dent's saying that there's a Lucky (also ラッキー) in the area, prompting Iris to chastise him for being ridiculous. And then, as if to make Iris look stupid, an actual Lucky walks by! The same pun is repeated again with the Rocket-Dan later in the movie.
Haha, I really like this part.

I also wanted to ask, how was Iris' design in this movie? Was it more accurate than M15?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom