• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M16: ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: M16 "Extreme Speed Genesect Mewtwo's Revival"

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much stock into the lack of placeholders. IIRC Meloetta was never foreshadowed by them at first.
Yes, it was. There were five placeholders after the Keldeo reveal, which later turned out to be for Black and White Kyurem, Aria Forme, Pirouette Forme and Resolute Form.

Yes, it was. There were five placeholders after the Keldeo reveal, which later turned out to be for Black and White Kyurem, Aria Forme, Pirouette Forme and Resolute Forme.

As I said, at first. Those five placeholders wouldn't come until after there were only placeholders for Keldeo and Kyurem-B/W. Similarly, the very first placeholder was for Keldeo alone.

As I said, at first. Those five placeholders wouldn't come until after there were only placeholders for Keldeo and Kyurem-B/W. Similarly, the very first placeholder was for Keldeo alone.
The five placeholders showed up a few days after the Keldeo reveal, just like what happened here. It doesn't matter what the first placeholder was.

The five placeholders showed up a few days after the Keldeo reveal, just like what happened here. It doesn't matter what the first placeholder was.

After looking back a bit more thoroughly, you're right. Crap. Looks like there really aren't any more surprises.

What do the writers think they're doing with this? Do they think Mewtwo's popularity alone is a great enough substitute for nothing new beyond Sylveon, who isn't even in the actual movie? Or perhaps there are still some surprises left, but they aren't new Pokemon or forms...

What do the writers think they're doing with this? Do they think Mewtwo's popularity alone is a great enough substitute for nothing new beyond Sylveon, who isn't even in the actual movie? Or perhaps there are still some surprises left, but they aren't new Pokemon or forms...
An actually decent plot could be the big surprise.

An actually decent plot could be the big surprise.

This movie really does have lots of potential in terms of plot... But the question is, can they pull it off?

Where exactly does Mewtwo fit into the whole Genesect/Team Plasma plot? I know the two pokemon have similar backstories as genetically engineered pokemon, but otherwise they have little else in common. The Mewtwo in the anime is supposedly living in the Johto region, while this movie will take place in a generic movie city in Unova.

Where exactly does Mewtwo fit into the whole Genesect/Team Plasma plot? I know the two pokemon have similar backstories as genetically engineered pokemon, but otherwise they have little else in common.
They have a lot more in common than most of the Pokémon who get paired in movies do.

The Mewtwo in the anime is supposedly living in the Johto region, while this movie will take place in a generic movie city in Unova.
Mewtwo was implied to have left Johto in the end of Mewtwo Returns, and we don't even know that Ash and co. will still be in Unova after Episode N.

In case anyone is wondering, the movie-related merchandise listings don't contain placeholders (with Sylveon and Mewtwo having been revealed) unlike what happened last year, so more surprises are unlikely.

The movie-related merchandise who don't mention the short, in one of the two merchandise specially mentions two new secret pokemon being in the movie. One of them is Mewtwo, but the other one is a unrevealed pokemon that it will be revealed soon: I see three possibilities:

1) It's a normal pokemon that we will see already in the show but it was never confirmed to be in the movie. Example: if somehow Dawn appears in the movie, Piplup could be a secret pokemon because Piplup isn't known to be in the movie.

2) It's an event pokemon that it's going to be in the movie. And I think that I know if there's one what pokemon is: Mew. Recently I have known about new Mew merchandise for 2013 release (yeah, this year) with something mysterious about him like Mewtwo. I also think that the Mew, if appears on the movie, it will be Mew (M01). Something to note is although it has been done a Mewtwo event there isn't any Gen V event with Mew in it.

3) A new normal pokemon. Like a pokemon for the possible secondary character that it's going to have in the film. Not a Lucario-role pokemon because a Lucario-like isn't going to appear in the movie. Here I can't suspect who pokemon is before revealation. It will be revealed, in that case, in the following months.

3B) A normal pokemon who will appear in the movie because the main cast has catched one of them before the movie premiers.

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much stock into the lack of placeholders. IIRC Meloetta was never foreshadowed by them at first.
Yes, it was. There were five placeholders after the Keldeo reveal, which later turned out to be for Black and White Kyurem, Aria Forme, Pirouette Forme and Resolute Form.

To be honest, the 2012 case was a special case with revealing legendary pokemon. It isn't normal tpo reveal 6 different secret pokemon for the movie and 5 after the special star of the movie was revealed. If you notice:

-2011: All stars revealed in Febraury 2011.
-2010: Same than 2011.
-2009: Same than 2010.
-2008: Shaymin Sky Forme not revealed until June.
-2007: Same than 2009.
-2006: Buizel, Chatot and Mantyke was revealed in March.
-2005: Lucario was fully revealed in March (Febrauyt was a silhouette with his name!?) and the three pokemon were revealed in April.
-2004: Munchlax was revealed in May.

A situatiuon where none new secet pokemon is revealed is more likely than 5 new pokemon. THe 2012 revealtions was the exception because coincided B2W2, Keldeo and Meloetta at once.

Last edited:

fer92 said:
The movie-related merchandise who don't mention the short, in one of the two merchandise specially mentions two new secret pokemon being in the movie. One of them is Mewtwo, but the other one is a unrevealed pokemon that it will be revealed soon: I see three possibilities:
You mean the keychains that were revealed in late December? The second placeholder was most likely for Dragonite. If it were an actual secret, there would be a placeholder in the new listings, as well.

To be honest, the 2012 case was a special case with revealing legendary pokemon. It isn't normal tpo reveal 6 different secret pokemon for the movie and 5 after the special star of the movie was revealed.
My point is that if there were another surprise (even just one), it would be foreshadowed by the current advertisements. That's what happened with Sky Forme, too.

Last edited:

Showdown Movies never turn out good...they never live up to the basic idea of "X VS. X" because once you get past that concept, there's nothing good.

Although, to be honest, I loved the Deoxys films...and honestly I can see this film being more or less THAT.

Showdown Movies never turn out good...they never live up to the basic idea of "X VS. X" because once you get past that concept, there's nothing good.

Although, to be honest, I loved the Deoxys films...and honestly I can see this film being more or less THAT.

Which is why thankfully it seems the movie isn't going to just revolve around Mewtwo and Genesect fighting. There isn't a VS in the title, and the two opposing each other has merely been referenced in passing with the mention that only Mewtwo can stand up to Red Genesect. It seems a conflict is just going to be a part of the overall plot about their nature as artificial Pokemon whose place in the world is unclear.

Adamant translated Mewtwo's short biography from the official website:

A Pokémon created by the recombining of Mew's genes. Its battle prowess has been raised to the max.

"Kakusei" ("Awakening" - the word used in the movie title) is the act of waking up, or of snapping out of something. It can also mean to come to one's senses and realize the errors of one's ways.

What does it mean for Mewtwo to "awaken"!?
Atonement for killing Dr. Fuji and the science team? That didn't sit well with me at all. They gave Mewtwo life and didn't seem to mean any harm, unlike Giovanni who got to live.

Last edited:

Atonement for killing Dr. Fuji and the science team? That didn't sit well with me at all.
Neither do I.

They gave Mewtwo life and didn't seem to mean any harm, unlike Giovanni who got to live.
They didn't, but they did mean to use it for that function.

Dr. Fuji just wanted to "revive" his daughter by cloning her. He created Mewtwo so that Giovanni would fund his research.

Dr. Fuji just wanted to "revive" his daughter by cloning her. He created Mewtwo so that Giovanni would fund his research.
Meh, true that. But he didn't think about what would Giovanni do with Mewtwo next, or maybe he did but her daughter was in first place, so IMO he had what he deserved.

Still, that didn't make me go anywhere about its regret.

Meh, true that. But he didn't think about what would Giovanni do with Mewtwo next, or maybe he did but her daughter was in first place, so IMO he had what he deserved.
He deserved to die? Whatever his intentions were, Mewtwo wouldn't have been born if it hadn't been for him.

He deserved to die? Whatever his intentions were, Mewtwo wouldn't have been born if it hadn't been for him.
As awesome as I think Mewtwo is, I wouldn't like to be suddenly gifted with life for someone's sake and then be used for wicked plans by another one.

Yeah okay, Genesect is cool and everything, but MEWTWO I'VE MISSED YOU!

So, it'll be the same Mewtwo, right? Or a different one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom