• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M17: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction

Well this Movie is in my Top 10 Pokemon Movies. REALLY GOOD! Diancie was Cute and Funny! But my BIGGEST Problem with this Film was the Villains. Just like the Spiderman Villains, THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY DAMN VILLAINS!!!!!!! And the thing is, ALL of the Villains WERE ALL UNMEMORABLE! They were JUST THERE, to be Villains. Rating, 9.6

Last edited:
Wow, I actually enjoyed watching this SO MUCH. I'd go as far as saying this is my favorite Pokémon movie right now!
The only thing that really annoyed me was the fact they used an instrumental version of the theme song... I was literally waiting for months to hear the full version, and they do that?! But apparently the full version of the movie did include the actual song? I guess I'll wait for the DVD (and possible iTunes) release then. I guess either they really rushed giving CN their version of the movie before they were done with recording/editing the full theme, or maybe CN's time cuts and speed ups would ruin the actual song, so they went with instrumental instead.
That aside, Diancie was so cute and such an entertaining character. Actually, everyone were entertaining: Diancie's guardian Carbink, the villians who all had nice designs and personalities (and good use of their signature pkmn), even TRio managed to be funny for the first time in forever, each of the twerps got to do something (Bonnie even got to command Dedenne! and Serena had the Rhyhorn riding thing, while Clemont had his usual science stuff, plus the Serena/Bonnie shopping with Diancie scene)
At first I was totally against the idea of Diancie being able to mega evolve without the presence of a trainer and a key stone, but I think I'm gonna let it slide and buy the power of friendship in this case. It was at the very least better done than Kyurem's form change or Mewtwo's mega evolution in the last two movies.

Great first movie for the Kalos region. Always love the look of shock on the faces of Ash and his friends when a Pokemon talks in these.

Looking forward to hearing the extended version of the theme with lyrics, if that ever gets released.

Really enjoyed the movie! Diancie is incredibly adorable and I loved her character. She doesn't just stand around being a damsel, despite what it seems and she actually has a desire to get stronger to protect her friends and the place she holds dear to her, which she accomplished through the power of friendship, which I will accept, as it is something she had to learn.

The villains were okay, but it just seemed like there were way too any of them and it was Sonic 2006 all over again. One of 'em gets Diancie, we get her back, and she's swiped away the next second, over and over again. The villains didn't even feel like they had their own characters, except maybe the Steel dude and his daughter. But the other two just get randomly romantically involved at the end and it just feels really out of place.

Xerneas sounds...more feminine than I imagined, and I was upset Big Man Yveltal didn't speak at all, but it's okay because he was a badass and killed everything in sight.

As for the typical goons, they were okay. I feel like Bonnie was extra adorable in how she interacted with Diancie and how excited she was when she got the Diamond/Diancite. Serena wasn't as annoying as usual and she actually put in some work with battling and the Rhyhorn riding, which they still like to tease us with. Speaking of, I still wonder how she can just steal a Rhyhorn like that, but whatever.

Overall, it was a really good first movie for X and Y. One other thing I found strange was the fact that we didn't hear a full opening with the actual lyrics, but other than that, no real complaints. I give it a 9.6/10.

Couldn't watch the movie :/ Can someone say how long was it. Was it like the BW movies or they actually made a 80-90 min movie.

I really enjoyed this movie and its the first movie I've liked in a long time.

Diancie was nice as a character, though I did think her "princess talking" got annoying. Like seriously, the Carbink weren't even around to correct her or anything. But I did like how she actually had somewhat of a desire to get stronger, perfect her powers, and protect everyone. I did feel that the Mega Evolutions were kind of...I don't want to say pointless, but they were pretty damn short. I would have like to see more. But overall, Diancie was good.

I'm glad that all of the gang had a chance to shine besides just Ash. I was so happy when Bonnie commanded Dedenne to attack Greninja. I really wish she'd use him more in times of danger. Serena using her Rhyhorn Racing skills was very nice and unexpected. I also adored the shopping scene these two had. Clemont's inventions we put to great use, and I loved when Ash said his typical "science is amazing" comment while being on the verge of falling off of that ladder. Ash...well of course he'd do the most, so he was okay for his usual role.

Xerneas and Yveltal were kind of lackluster imo. I mean, Xerneas showed up for a few minutes to talk to Diancie, then reappears after Yveltal starts destroying everything. Then, it's all over. Not fight, not even a conversation, just...nothing. I just would have prefered more, but I'm actually not too bothered by this since Diancie was the main focus anyway.

My only real problem was with the villains. First of all, four villains? Do we really need four villains? Actually if you count TR, that's technically 7 villains. That just seems like way too many. Second, if they're all supposedly working together, then why are they playing "Diancie keep away" from each other. Shouldn't they be working together so they can all use Diancie's powers? I think just having maybe either Argus and Millis or just Marilyn and Riot would have been fine. Well, if anything, I really liked seeing Greninja use it's tongue actually like a tongue/weapon rather than just having it be a scarf.

Also, Pikachu's death scene was pretty lame too. Maybe if it would have lasted longer, it would have been more emotional for me, but...no. It was really just too short imo.

Overall a good movie. 8/10.

Couldn't watch the movie :/ Can someone say how long was it. Was it like the BW movies or they actually made a 80-90 min movie.

It's ~65 mins long like movie 15 and 16. It also has a Pikachu short that aired alongside it in Japan, just like the last two movies.

It's ~65 mins long like movie 15 and 16. It also has a Pikachu short that aired alongside it in Japan, just like the last two movies.

Yeah it was 65 mins for this CN version but I assume it'd be a little bit longer in the final release, considering CN's version has some time cuts / speed ups, and the weird instrumental instead of actual song thing which I suspect came from lots of edits during the opening scene. I think it'd be at least 70 mins in the final release, but I guess we'll find out soon.
I do wish the movies could be a bit longer than that though... maybe they should give up on the short movies again and just focus on the actual movie. I'm really not sure what tempted them to bring these back after not doing it at all with movies 7-14.

Why must they always cut the movie down on Cartoon Network?

As I don't care so much about background music (which seems to be discussed in every single review thread at the moment...), I'd like to concentrate on the actual plot, which from my point of view is the most important aspect of a movie:

We just saw the 16th Pokemon movie and if I had to review it with only a few words, I'd say that it was a nice one. It probably wasn't the best one but it wasn't that bad either. I'd say it was above average.

Here are a few aspects that I think are worth mentioning again:
- The whole kingdom of Diancie and Carbink being dependent on one single heart diamond felt a little bit forced, but well, let us pay that.
- Ash losing to that Mega Absol trainer was disappointing because in my eyes he's lost too many battles recently. This has to change.
- Did Xerneas and Yveltal feel like real legendary Pokemon to you? I don't know, but for some reason I thought they were "only" pseudo legendaries at best.
- Also, I would really have liked to know what Xerneas told Yveltal that made the latter fly away at the end. Does that mean that Xerneas is the stronger one because all it obviously has to do is send out its aura that can soothe down each and everybody? But isn't a region's legendary duo supposed to be equally strong?
- What I really enjoyed, though, was that little romance between Riot and Marilyn at the end. Really nice character interaction and I just hope Riot will finally propose to her some day.
- Pikachu literally turning to stone was a reference to the very first movie, though I think it was less emotional because first, that scene was too short and second, we already had something similar to that.
- A mega evolution without a trainer and the respective key stone felt a little bit unfamiliar but maybe that is indeed possible in the Pokemon world. As of now, we still don't know.

All in all, a good movie although I would have welcomed if it had been a bit longer.

Here are a few aspects that I think are worth mentioning again:
- The whole kingdom of Diancie and Carbink being dependent on one single heart diamond felt a little bit forced, but well, let us pay that.
- Ash losing to that Mega Absol trainer was disappointing because in my eyes he's lost too many battles recently. This has to change.
- Did Xerneas and Yveltal feel like real legendary Pokemon to you? I don't know, but for some reason I thought they were "only" pseudo legendaries at best.
- Also, I would really have liked to know what Xerneas told Yveltal that made the latter fly away at the end. Does that mean that Xerneas is the stronger one because all it obviously has to do is send out its aura that can soothe down each and everybody? But isn't a region's legendary duo supposed to be equally strong?
- What I really enjoyed, though, was that little romance between Riot and Marilyn at the end. Really nice character interaction and I just hope Riot will finally propose to her some day.
- Pikachu literally turning to stone was a reference to the very first movie, though I think it was less emotional because first, that scene was too short and second, we already had something similar to that.
- A mega evolution without a trainer and the respective key stone felt a little bit unfamiliar but maybe that is indeed possible in the Pokemon world. As of now, we still don't know.
I can add few more;
- Diancie knowing what a city while not knowing thief, friend and shopping mall mean, absurd.
- The animations of Yveltal's attacks were so awful. I mean, for a all-powerful legendary Pokemon, its attack shouldn't be blocked by a Thunderbolt produced by Pikachu. Disgusting. Also its attacks looked so thin. I mean, in Mega Evolution Act arc even Mega Charizard's attacks looked more powerful and mighty.
- Bonnie commanding an attack is an absolute outrageous thing to me.

Besides those, I didn't like the fact that the writers came up with 'the road to becoming a winner' thing once again, so they can force a mega evolution.
I can not even be tolerative towards a CoTD Pokemon that needs a lot of hand holding, especially the ones those aren't capable of not protecting even themselves. And an entire movie about it nearly 65 mins?

There were some good moments, too. So I'd say average about this movie.

Queen Cynthia said:
As I don't care so much about background music (which seems to be discussed in every single review thread at the moment...)

It's a major problem that makes it harder for many people to enjoy the dub as much as they could. Of course it's going to come up.

And, again, this is the first time in thirteen years that a Pokemon movie has had its soundtrack replaced. That's kind of a huge deal.

Watch the uncut version when it comes out on DVD. You won't be disappointed.

Talking Pokemon annoy me even after so many years, like why can that one Carbink talk? ugh.

The background and town just seem like rip offs of that one in Heroes.

I love the animation of cut in this!

Thank you for the fan service in Serena changing clothes >:]

Damn they need to do that Aipom arm gets Clemontic gear thing more often, that was badass.

I believe that's the first we've seen of Hawlucha actually flying?

Would've been interesting to see the reaction of Ash and co if Diancie said no, I suppose they'd just happily agree.

And lol Ash using two Pokemon against one. Long gone the days of him claiming it's illegal in like episode 3!

Marik lel. MARIK ISHTAR. They said Marik, right?

Why would you give a Chesnaught Pin Missle?

Any reason they're not questioning why Diancie ran away from the Carbink?

Xerneas doesn't seem to fit in, strange CGI.

Bullet Seed and Pin Missle, that thing really sucks. And trust a ninja to have Nijask.

So I guess that kills those Pokemon, though they'll be fine before the end of the movie. (Yvaltyle blast)

LOVE SAVES THE DAY. Or at least stops evil people being evil.

Damn a mention of die in Pokemon.

Why is Yyvatle not blasting them whilst Ash nearly fell off the cliff?

Oh so NOW it's back to attacking! I like how Pikachu is legendary equal or so in movie one of gen 6.

Dinacie made its own mega stone?! I called Bonnie putting the stone into her bag being important later on.

Uh, there's no way those guys just survived benig turned into stone then the ship falling to the ground. Even Hunter J couldn't live that.

Seems to me Yvetal is the strongest legendary so far. Or at least the most destructive.

It (screw its name) turns nice when Xerenas turns up, what a cop out. Wanted to see some crazy ass fighting between them. Why did it take so long for Pikachu to turn into stone? Reverse of mvie one! ...are tears going to bring him back to life? guess not... good!

That Xerneas transformation freaked me out.

This could hint a future apperence from Black Flying birdie.

Guess being rocks saved the evil green guys.

Decent movie, above average. Keldeo one is still my fave.

why can that one Carbink talk?

And lol Ash using two Pokemon against one. Long gone the days of him claiming it's illegal in like episode 3!

Why is Yyvatle not blasting them whilst Ash nearly fell off the cliff?

Oh so NOW it's back to attacking!

Dinacie made its own mega stone?! I called Bonnie putting the stone into her bag being important later on.

Uh, there's no way those guys just survived benig turned into stone then the ship falling to the ground. Even Hunter J couldn't live that.

It (screw its name) turns nice when Xerenas turns up, what a cop out. Wanted to see some crazy ass fighting between them. Why did it take so long for Pikachu to turn into stone? Reverse of mvie one! ...are tears going to bring him back to life? guess not... good!

Guess being rocks saved the evil green guys..
All I can really say is "I know, right?"

Diancie mega evolving without a key stone actually reminded me a bit of Exeggcute evolving without a stone at all.

The "Xerneas stares, Yveltal turns nice" thing was just... weird. And anticlimactic. Not sure what "should" have happened, but ":mad: o_O ._. *flies away*" probably wasn't it.

I knew the two on the ship weren't going to be smashed to bits, but it's still... I don't know, odd.

Marik lel. MARIK ISHTAR. They said Marik, right?
Closed captioning said Merrick.

Awful, boring movie. Thankfully, I came in with low expectations. With that said, it was much better than the last movie. The Genesect movie was simply unwatchable.

Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction makes its UK (Probably the full version of the movie, with opening, ending and uncut scene) debut December 16 on CITV.
And after Years! This movie makes debut in Italy on January 10 - 13 in Theaters! :D

Does anyone know who performs the dub ending song for this movie? It should be listed in the credits.

Eh. I didn't get to watch this all the way through (got to the part where Yveltal goes on a death rampage), but I've still got some things to say...

The animation was good, but I suppose that's to be expected of a movie, right? Of course we got the obligatory talking Pokemon... remember the good ol' days where they didn't always talk, like in the Celebi or Manaphy movie? Then, we got the bad guys... some of the more eh-worthy ones I've seen in a while. Team Rocket summed it up perfectly: "There's too many of them!" They're "evil" just because they want to catch a rare Pokemon to get lots of diamonds... which inadvertently would cause the underground Carbink world to decay... but it's not like that was their intention. Heck, they didn't even know about Diancie's kingdom! It's not like they were doing this despite the fact that it would bring a great deal of ruin to a lot of Carbink... unlike... everyone else who's been a movie villain.

The plot felt like an extended anime episode rather than a movie. It doesn't give off the same feeling some of the ones before it have. I don't like how Greninja looks... something's off about the webbing on its head. Also, just because Diancie didn't have the ability to create permanent diamonds didn't mean it was COMPLETELY powerless... right? WRONG. This "legendary Pokemon" spends most of its screentime getting tossed around like a keep-away ball between various characters, and it almost never even TRIES to defend itself. There weren't many moving moments... no, Pikachu turning to stone didn't make me sad, it made me roll my eyes because the very idea of Pikachu dying is RIDICULOUS. The legends didn't give a vibe of majesty or power... and Pikachu's "death" had no possibility of being permanent... so this movie wasn't up there by a loooong shot.

It's a bit above average.

Diancie wasn't all that good as a character. She's cute and amusing but not very well developed.

I have to admit, the two villains riding Honedge and Aegislash like STAPs was pretty fucking cool. And their airship was pretty badass too.

Not having Xerneas and Yvetal fight was a massively wasted opportunity.

The scenery's gorgeous though.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom