• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M17: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction

After like a million refreshing pokemon.com updated for me so I could watch. Well, not much to say, but glad we finally got it. Darkrai's role was hilariously limited though like why did they even bother putting it there... ironically it was the one chosen by people in Japan to be given away out of the short's 4 legends.

Here's the big question... was the BGM replaced in the dub like the Diancie movie's was?

Here's the big question... was the BGM replaced in the dub like the Diancie movie's was?

As far as I know, yes. I don't recall hearing any of the music from the CD score I have of the Japanese version. If the music in the dub of the main movie is similar, I can see how some people thought it was a live orchestra.

There's dub music in the short.

Because of course there is.

God if Pokemon Origins was dubbed this year it would have had American bgm everywhere.

Edit: The music is REALLY loud, too. I can barely hear the narrator. 4Kids One Piece flashbacks.

I only watched the Japanese version, and it seems like I made the right choice as the dub screwed up again.

Unfortunately it seems like "replace all the Japanese music" is the new normal :(

Unfortunately we will never get a good dub as long as it is in TPCi's hands. I still wish that FUNimation got it back in 2006 and then I don't think the dub would be in such bad shape as it is now.

Unfortunately we will never get a good dub as long as it is in TPCi's hands. I still wish that FUNimation got it back in 2006 and then I don't think the dub would be in such bad shape as it is now.

And unfortunately, complaining about it here isn't going to fix it, so please get back to the topic of the movie itself.

Last edited:

And unfortunately, complaining about it here isn't going to fix it, so please get back to the topic of the movie itself.

Can I at least make a separate topic about it? To make this a bit more on topic I will see the movie once I import the Japanese Blu-Ray.

Can I at least make a separate topic about it? To make this a bit more on topic I will see the movie once I import the Japanese Blu-Ray.
The TPCi discussion is a topic that has been debated for a long time. Since pretty much everything that could be said about it has been said, we don't feel that we need another thread for it at this time.

I'll continue to not get why they go to so much effort with these shorts only to bury them on pokemon.com for a few weeks and then have them disappear forever. That ending theme is particularly catchy and well done, so a shame that they'll do absolutely nothing with it after this.

I enjoyed it, though Hawlucha seemed a bit out of character and it's a shame that Bunnelby and Fletchling got excluded.

Personally, I'm not that bothered by the music replacement, but then the only place I've heard the original score is listening to the CD, so there isn't really a strong association to the movie in my mind.

Again, it shouldn't be surprised the music was replaced. Why should they pay the royalties for the original music if it's only going to be streamed online for a limited time? Honestly, the music wasn't bad and pretty much fits the XY Dub BGM from the episodes.

Conversely, you could ask why they should bother to create brand new music if it's only going to be streamed for a limited time.

And I don't think people are surprised so much as they are disappointed about the music.

Moe said:
I'll continue to not get why they go to so much effort with these shorts only to bury them on pokemon.com for a few weeks and then have them disappear forever. That ending theme is particularly catchy and well done, so a shame that they'll do absolutely nothing with it after this.

Especially when you remember that the Region 1 DVD for the Diancie movie isn't even out yet. There is absolutely no reason TPCI couldn't have had this thrown onto that DVD as an extra.

Conversely, you could ask why they should bother to create brand new music if it's only going to be streamed for a limited time.
Because it's cheaper for TPCi to produce in-house music than paying royalties. If it was being released on a format that charged for viewing, it would be different. Pretty much no money is being made by this short's stream. So why bother throwing more money away if none is gonna be made in return? It does beg the question why they even bother dubbing these shorts to begin with, but since they feel the need to, they might as well take the cheap route.

I very seriously doubt the money being saved by creating their own music (assuming that's even the case; nobody I know of has ever provided any proof that this claim is actually true) is in any way significant.

And, again, this short should have been put on the DVD that's coming out in a week and a half.

I doubt money is the reason behind the bgm changes. I'm sure it's something else cause they often DID leave the entire bgm (or close to that) in some eps. It seems like some sort of really awkward outdated "creative" decisions and/or some contracts with whoever produces the music for the dub at the time. It's mess that hardly make much sense but we'll probably never get an official explanation for it.
The XY preview airing with the entire original score only to be re-scored for the finalized version also implies that they clearly COULD use all original bgm for these two eps yet still chose not to do so after the initial airing, which only aired that way due to being rushed to fit with the Japanese airing and the XY release. Too bad they're not in such a rush permamently...
Anyway, it's sad to see the movies lose that "keep entire original score" that we have for ages but oh well... what can you do.
Also, I wish they'd just create some sort of "Chronicles Season 2" containing all these throwaway Pokemon.com videos and other extras that sadly always disappear and gets forgotten + some previously undubbed material like the Brock/Dawn/Iris/Cilan eps... but yeah, that's probably not happening.

Do these shorts ever get dubbed into other languages? Like, is there a Spanish dub of the Eevee short or anything? And if so how were they handled? Do they get DVD releases or were they streamed online like they are in the U.S.?

Do these shorts ever get dubbed into other languages? Like, is there a Spanish dub of the Eevee short or anything? And if so how were they handled? Do they get DVD releases or were they streamed online like they are in the U.S.?

Aren't they just dubbed when the movie is released? They did for where I live - the shorts were always shown along the main movie in theaters. I don't remember about the ones that didn't see a theater release though...

That may have been the case for the older ones but the newer ones (BW and XY) seem like they're maybe dubbed after the fact.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom