• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M17: The Cocoon of Destruction and Diancie

Will it air this year or early next year

• this year

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • next year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking about the spelling. I'm talking about TPCI mispronouncing yet another pokemon name.

I'm more bothered by the dub changing "princess" to "ruler"... like... why? (which also leads me to wondering why Diancie is of "unknown gender" rather than female-only... same goes for Meloetta)
Also if they wanted the pronunciation be like the word diamond, shouldn't that have applied for Dialga too?... yet it didn't...

I'm not talking about the spelling. I'm talking about TPCI mispronouncing yet another pokemon name.

Oops. Did I said earlier about the spelling? Look sorry what I mean is about how they pronounce in different countries.

The announcer/commentator guy for the dub trailer sounds really bad.

Surely as TPCI are in charge of the English dub they are perfectly entitled to say how it's pronounced in the English dub.

Like that old song
you say Toe-may-toe I say Toe-mar-toe

Huh... Cocoons... mass genocide... and a crystal that will save everyone...

I think I've seen a story like this before. (Stares for a bit at Final Fantasy XIII) Although I gotta say, the animation looks alright for once.

I don't know Japanese, but seems like Dogasu is right.

Just glancing at how their names are written in katakana:

Diancie: ディアンシー
Dialga: ディアルガ

Their names share the first three characters, so it's safe it say they should be pronounced the same way. Since Dialga's name is pronounced "Dee-al-guh", logically, Diancie's name should be pronounced "Dee-an-cie". Now TPCi is being inconsistent! I'm guessing they changed the name's pronunciation to fit the English word 'diamond'. Does this mean they're gonna re-dub all the episodes/movies that mention Dialga too? :lol:

Surely as TPCI are in charge of the English dub they are perfectly entitled to say how it's pronounced in the English dub.

Like that old song
you say Toe-may-toe I say Toe-mar-toe

I guess, but since 'Diancie' is a made-up, obscure name and not a common word, you could argue there would be only be one pronunciation by it. And the crew that made the friggin' thing should pick the one, correct pronunciation. It's also pretty odd that TPCi actually took the time and effort to re-dub the trailer to change the pronunciation of the name, to one that's not the intended pronunciation. They wouldn't really do that unless they're trying to be extra dedicated and accurate... and ironically, they're not.

Last edited:
This isn't even a regional difference, either, like the aforementioned tomato thing. This is TPCI altering the pronunciation of a name so much that they might as well have just come up with an all-new name.

Dee-an-see -> Dai-an-see is just as much a name change to me as Harimaron -> Chespin is.

I prefer Dee-an-see because it was the way I pronounced it upon first reading it. It'd be kinda hard for me to change that. (also, general English emphasis conventions would agree with that pronunciation)

Do we have an English release date for this movie yet? I haven't seen anything mentioned other than that it might be at the same time as the Japanese release.

All we know about the English version is the title. Neither a release date nor a general release timeframe ("summer 2014," etc.) has been announced.

"It might be at the same time as the Japanese release" is just baseless speculation at this point.

Dee-an-see -> Dai-an-see is just as much a name change to me as Harimaron -> Chespin is.

Mmm I would have to disagree for obvious reasons. Unless you were trying to be funny or sarcastic (most likely), the Diancie pronunciations are the same after the initial syllable (Harimaron and Chespin have completely different syllables, pronunciations, length, etc).

The name pronunciations aren't even that bad. If it really bothers you that much, then think of it this way: different regions/areas have different ways to pronounce the same thing (like the aforementioned tomato). So in this case, Japan has one pronunciation while America has another. I for one like both pronunciations and couldn't care less about which one I hear.

It's really oblivious when it comes to TCPI because Dee-an-shee and Dai-an-see share the same name and because of it I confused with it you know.

Hinokou said:
different regions/areas have different ways to pronounce the same thing

No. We're talking about character names here; you don't get to just mispronounce someone's name and then try to explain it away with the "regional accent" excuse. There is no historical or cultural reason behind Americans not pronouncing Diancie's name the same way it's being pronounced in Japan, especially when there was nothing preventing Americans from pronouncing "Dialga" correctly just a few years ago.

Hinokou said:

No. We're talking about character names here; you don't get to just mispronounce someone's name and then try to explain it away with the "regional accent" excuse. There is no historical or cultural reason behind Americans not pronouncing Diancie's name the same way it's being pronounced in Japan, especially when there was nothing preventing Americans from pronouncing "Dialga" correctly just a few years ago.

Why do the English call Japan "Japan" and not "Nippon"?

I can't speak for America but in England we are taught about the magic E. Basically if an E is at the end of the word then the first vowel of the word takes the sound of the letter alone, so A (sounds like Ah in words) would be pronounced like Ay (rhymes with hey), E wouldnt be eh but ee, and I instead of the ee sound becomes aye (rhymes with pie)

So in terms of English in England DIE (rhymes with pie) AN CIE would be the correct pronunciation. But of course America does things a little differently in pronunciation and grammar etc (they can't even get the date in the right format ;) jk )

Bland Mango said:
Why do the English call Japan "Japan" and not "Nippon"?

Names of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The English word for Japan came to the West from early trade routes. The early Mandarin Chinese or possibly Wu Chinese word for Japan was recorded by Marco Polo as Cipangu. The modern Shanghainese (a dialect of the Wu Chinese language (呉語) or topolect) pronunciation of characters 日本 (Japan) is still Zeppen [zəʔpən]. The old Malay word for Japan, Jepang (modern spelling Jepun, although Indonesian has retained the older spelling), was borrowed from a Chinese language, and this Malay word was encountered by Portuguese traders in Malacca in the 16th century. It is thought the Portuguese traders were the first to bring the word to Europe. It was first recorded in English in 1577 spelled Giapan.

And why are you trying to apply English-language rules of pronunciation to a French word like diamant?

Names of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The English word for Japan came to the West from early trade routes. The early Mandarin Chinese or possibly Wu Chinese word for Japan was recorded by Marco Polo as Cipangu. The modern Shanghainese (a dialect of the Wu Chinese language (呉語) or topolect) pronunciation of characters 日本 (Japan) is still Zeppen [zəʔpən]. The old Malay word for Japan, Jepang (modern spelling Jepun, although Indonesian has retained the older spelling), was borrowed from a Chinese language, and this Malay word was encountered by Portuguese traders in Malacca in the 16th century. It is thought the Portuguese traders were the first to bring the word to Europe. It was first recorded in English in 1577 spelled Giapan.

And why are you trying to apply English-language rules of pronunciation to a French word like diamant?

Who's to say it's based off Diamant and not Diamond?
Diance is just as much an English word as it is French or Japanese! Lots of different countries have different pronunciation rules for words. In English used in England, Dee-an-cie is gramatically incorrect, it could be the same for the US although they do some things differently, and as TPCI is in charge of the english speaking dub, they decide the pronunciation and as they are based in English speaking countries I assume they would use the English pronunciation.

Hinokou said:

No. We're talking about character names here; you don't get to just mispronounce someone's name and then try to explain it away with the "regional accent" excuse.

Are we talking about names or pronunciations? Which is it? Make up your mind.

And there do exist words with different pronunciations, that are all accepted. The classic example of data. There are three ways to pronounce it, and all three are correct; none are mispronounced. The same applies to Diancie.

Bland Mango said:
Who's to say it's based off Diamant and not Diamond?

The Japanese pronunciation makes it obvious that it's based off of diamant.

Who's to say it's based off Diamond and not Diamant? Westerners who have misinterpreted the name?

Hinokou said:
Are we talking about names or pronunciations? Which is it? Make up your mind.

We're talking about the pronunciations of names.

Dogasu said:
I'm talking about TPCI mispronouncing yet another pokemon name.

My argument is that when you fundamentally alter the pronunciation of a name you pretty much change the name itself.

And there do exist words with different pronunciations

Yes, but not all words and espeically not names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom