• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M20: I Choose You!

I liked the movie. As others said, it was refreshing to see a break from the save the Pokemon and see a condensed Pokemon journey instead, with lots and lots of battles, the movie really used all the chances for battles it could. The pacing could have been better, and there were many Diabolus Ex Machina, which resulted in a weird climax. Some montages could've used better.

Verity and Sorrel were fine, it's interesting how they have more backstory and motivations for their goals than other main characters. It seems that they replaced Misty and Brock because of the emphasis on Pokemon bonds, and M&B don't have walking Pokemon as their starters. Not that I agree with that choice through. I'm not impressed with Cross, precisely that lack of motivation is what stopped him from being memorable.

I didn't liked the Ep001 recreation, it lacked that spark and snark from the original. Dexter is truly missed.

The dub music was decent. It was ages better than the Volcanion music, in the sense that it wasn't distracting from the story, but I was hoping for something more special and unique.

The fact that M02 got a scene to itself is awesome. :love:

I really liked it.

I'd put it in my top 5 pokemon movies easily.

I did notice right away they used dub music in the theaters but I wasn't bothered by it. It's a practice I wish Pokemon would stop doing but it's not 4kids music replacement starting to get bothered like I did in the AG era of the 4kids dub.

I prefer dubs in general, but I wish they left the music alone for this one. Still was fine for what it was trying to do but eh, I can watch both so it's not like the Mewtwo movie where I will watch it subbed due to script rewrites and some cringe vocal music.

I really liked it.

I'd put it in my top 5 pokemon movies easily.

I did notice right away they used dub music in the theaters but I wasn't bothered by it. It's a practice I wish Pokemon would stop doing but it's not 4kids music replacement starting to get bothered like I did in the AG era of the 4kids dub.

I prefer dubs in general, but I wish they left the music alone for this one. Still was fine for what it was trying to do but eh, I can watch both so it's not like the Mewtwo movie where I will watch it subbed due to script rewrites and some cringe vocal music.
That’s hilarious seeing how M04-M08 kept the entire Japanese soundtrack and AG kept more music than we have now. All done by 4Kids.

Just watched the film in Vietnamese dub. Somehow the teaser had better animation quality than the movie itself. The song "Tears after Cloudy Weather" is still as emotional as usual. Other than that, the movie is quite rush and somewhat nonsense. I don't know how about it in Japanese or English, but Pikachu talking in my language is quite weird.

EDIT: I'm SUPER glad they skipped the gym battles with Misty and Brock. I thought of it as a giant middle finger to the people who keep saying "I'm not going to watch because Misty and Brock aren't in it anymore" and I felt like this was a way of saying the creators could care less lol

I mean I felt that if they had had them in briefly as nothing more than gym leaders that would have been the "middle finger", but go off I guess.

I cried hard like 6 times so I guess it's an okay movie.

Loved Cross' redemption but I was disappointed we never got to see him apologize to Charizard.

Just got back from watching that movie after missing the chance to see it last week due to last minute pop up commitments.

I thought the exposition in the first part of the movie was good. Sure, they could have done a better job by making it a little longer, and I'll admit, it is kinda weird not seeing Brock, Misty and so on. However, the first part does a good job at introducing what is Pokemon, giving enough background information on what is Pokemon and to be honest, gives a good amount of references to the main show that the audience may not have understood at first if they never understood Pokemon. While it could be better, it's still entertaining for both newcomers to Pokemon and veterans of Pokemon. So it's a solid pass.

I didn't mind the fact that Brock and Misty weren't in the movie. I'm pretty sure they would their characters be rewritten anyways, which would have pissed off the vets of Pokemon. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The Caterpie subplot really hit me in the nostalgia and made me sad once again. Probably for the veterans of Pokemon for sure.

I REALLY enjoyed the Charmander subplot. Personally, it was much better than the one that was in the anime and I can easily see the Charmander subplot being rewritten like that in the anime. Just over more episodes probably.

The scene where Ash is in the world of Pokemon was really quite solid for Pokemon fans, especially for me. I was like "NOW YOU KNOW THE WORLD THAT WE LIVE IN" in my mind. Personally, I would love for the scenarios to be expanded on.

As for the main plot for Ho-Oh though, I thought it was passable. I mean, it wasn't "meh," but it wasn't as special as it probably should have been. Compared to the subplots that has happened in the movie, I thought the Rainbow Wing plot was just overshadowed by the other solid subplots.

I cringed at the idea Pikachu actually speaking until I realized of the possibility that Ash might have been hallucinating from all the attacks he received at once. Please don't actually give me other explanations for Pikachu speaking. Rule #1 is Pikachu doesn't speak. I think that was the biggest thing that made this movie a "Good Pokemon movie" from being one of my favorites. Yes, I know they built up to this moment, but honestly, the option they chose seriously detracts from it being my favorite.

I was very happy though that the movie did NOT redo the "Tears bring back Ash" like they did in the first Pokemon movie. That made the scene where Ash has disappeared and trying to get back to the Pokemon world very impactful.

As for the Luxray backstory, holy hell. I totally did not see that one coming and wish I didn't have to see that. It was really good but it's something that I hope to never have to see again, nor if Pokemon were real, that anyone has to deal with.

Overall, I think it would have been good as a regular Pokemon movie and not for the 20th anniversary release. That being said, it's a good movie to introduce someone to the Pokemon series who isn't familiar with Pokemon and can't be bother or want to watch even the first season in its entirety. They will get the gist of what Pokemon is, some of the references that us Pokemon fans make and may even want to start watching the series.

For Pokemon fans like us, we are probably going to enjoy the numerous references to the main series and the remixes of the old plot. Hell, I think they redid the first Pokemon episode fairly well all things considered. And I'm sure you will easily relate to the world of no Pokemon scene. The main plot is meh.

It's a good movie but nothing special. Probably would watch it again with someone who isn't familiar with Pokemon and wonder what's it all about. And I do love the Pokemon card that they gave out.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom