• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solgaleo & Lunala are almost guaranteed to appear, like most gen mascots do. I just hope it's better than the first X/Y film, which felt kinda lackluster in comparison to the first B/W movies and even the first D/P movie.

Solgaleo & Lunala are almost guaranteed to appear, like most gen mascots do. I just hope it's better than the first X/Y film, which felt kinda lackluster in comparison to the first B/W movies and even the first D/P movie.
Dialga and Palkia were fighting nearly the entire 10th movie, Resiram and Zeckrom was in the 14th movie since the second half. While Xerneas and Yveltal was only in the movie for a few minutes.

If Solgaleo and Lunala are in this film, they may be fighting each other but they could do things different this time and have them work together to save the world or something.

Title: A Visitor from a Different World

The title is unconfirmed so far, so take it with a grain of salt.

Tomorrow on Oha Suta at exactly 7:05 JST, we will be given the world premiere reveal of the first Sun & Moon film that'll be coming out next year in July. Of course this has always been a thing so no surprise there, but since we're now on Sun & Moon, I'm pretty interested at which route the film will be going. Will the art design for the film change like the series? Will the films go a more dark route or find a mixture between humor and seriousness? So what do you think about the preview? And what do you think we'll be seeing in the film?
CzoDsK8WIAAo1ku.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called The Visitor from the Netherworld, apparently.

The movies during Best Wishes and XY were really disappointing, in that each of them were bland, cookie cutter stories about legendaries. Given that the majority of Sun and Moon's legendaries are tied into the game's storyline, I'm apprehensive about them getting the same treatment.

I'm thinking that this one might be about Marshadow. It's the only legendary not catchable in game, so it wouldn't surprise if they timed its event with a film all about it. And if we're taking the Netherworld part of the title literally, then Necrozma could possibly be involved, too.

As for animation and art style, I think it'll stay the same as the TV show, only with a lot more polish you'd expect for a movie.

These movies need more memorable antagonists like Lawrence III and Molly Hale. None of the others impressed me, but the BW and XY movies were particularly bad in this department.

When it comes to human antagonists my thoughts:

Lawrence III: I felt he was more of a prop than a real character in terms of the film (though he got some additional backstory in expanded media I recall), BUT he was the first big human antagonist we really saw in the entire anime franchise excluding Giovanni so I guess that goes a long way in making him memorable. Quite a few other movie villains seem to have borrowed his M.O. somewhat (giant flying ship) so he left an impression. Honestly though my opinion of Movie 2 has gone down in recent years and I consider it far weaker than the one before and after, though it has some nice spectacle.

Molly: I agree she's probably the best antagonist by far, especially considering she's quite selfish for most of the film and one of the strengths of the best Pokemon films in my opinion is when the antagonist isn't simply an evil villain---and Movie 3 is probably the best in having a nice ambiguous tone. She's the only antagonist character that acts on her own whims since Entei is subservient to her and the Unown are just forces of nature, so I agree she was probably the Pokemon movies stand-out villain in that regard. In retrospect despite everyone thinking Movie 1 is the best I think Movie 3 probably still holds that title.

Masked Marauder: He was the first movie villain that felt like "filler"---you know how the theatrical Dragon Ball Z movies would always introduce some shallow villain to fight as the big draw? Well, he fits the bill. A previously unheard of Team Rocket member who's a big deal for some reason, he's threatening enough to be entertaining for most of the film but doesn't have much else to him. There's that old rumor he was originally planned to be Jessie and James' kid from the future, but as far as I know there's nothing to that.

Annie and Oakley: Depending on the version you watch your thoughts may differ---they're either freelance criminals aiming to steal the Soul Dew and capture Legendary Pokemon, or they're members of Team Rocket who at the end apparently have world domination in mind. Eh, not sure which works better here honestly. The ending with them checking out Lawrence III pretty much tells you all you need to know, they're basically copies of him without anything all that interesting. Movie 5 is well-made in terms of Alto Mare being pretty to look at, but it's the weakest of the original movies IMO.

Butler: I'm surprised you didn't mention him, I thought he was better than Lawrence III with a fun backstory that loosely tied into the games and had enough depth to be entertaining. But I have a soft spot for the Jirachi film.

Deoxys didn't have a human villain, but I remember the manga adaptation did---I'm sort of glad the movie didn't go this route as I really enjoyed it for having sort of a horror-vibe to it, as far as Pokemon films go, with the antagonist being a strange alien with unknown goals and a pissed off Legendary. It's nice to have a film where for most of the movie Ash really has no control of anything and just has to survive basically, the ending ruins this a bit by having him sort of save the day but I really like the tone of this one.

Kid Summers: The villain at first, but then she suddenly isn't. Her role in this film is rather odd, but I think the Lucario film is another that works quite well by not having a real central antagonist and being more of a character focus on Lucario learning about his "abandonment". Plus the force of nature Regis at the end were really cool. I think all this comes together to make it easily the best of the post-OS movies, and I think it's better than Movie 2, 4, and 5 at the least.

Phantom: The Manaphy film is cheesy as hell, but I actually enjoyed the James Bond-style villainy of Phantom---he's got no depth, but he's a fun enough villain in an otherwise uninspired film. Him being a midget in power armor is too lame not to love.

Baron Alberto: Not really a villain either, but the closest we get to a human antagonist---is the most suspicious of Darkrai and the rival for Alice's affections. But then halfway through the film he becomes comic relief and never looks back. That made him memorable as a character turning into a Lickilicky, but not quite as an antagonist.

Zero: The most obvious throwback to Lawrence III ever, he technically wasn't worse of a villain than Lawrence III but he did nothing to stand out and the Giratina film didn't reach the spectacle of Lugia's so he's highly forgettable.

Marcus: The Arceus film is pretty weak (though I think the characterization of Arceus is actually pretty neat and deserving of a better film) and this villain is as cookie-cutter as they come.

Grings Kodai: He stands out as the lamest villain to me. His plan is way too convoluted (what was the point of all the hologram fuckery again and the soccer shit?) and I just plain don't like the Zoroark film.

Damon: I really forgot exactly what this guy's deal was, he was one of those well-meaning antagonist with a non-selfish goal I think but then he messed things up and went into villain territory for awhile. In terms of the Pokemon films I guess he's the first antagonist with a well-meaning goal in mind, but there wasn't a lot of focus on him to make you root for him so he just ends up as a jerk.

Kyurem and the Genesect films lacked a human antagonist (and in both films there are virtually no new human characters of note outside a Park Ranger), but I guess technically the human antagonist figure into the backstory of the Musketeers and Genesect---you know, bad humans who caused the Musketeers to form (though their relationship with humans wasn't explored much in the film), and Team Plasma who altered Genesect.

The multiple villains in the Diancie film were entertaining I thought, but for the most part they come off as those mandatory humans based on the final Starter forms they've been putting in the films since Darkrai. Redeeming them at the end felt sort of cheap since I never felt we got much development of them.

Hoopa didn't have a human antagonist, and I haven't seen the Volcanion film to comment---but the main villain seems like another Lawrence III-type of guy so I don't expect much.

Overall you're right in that Pokemon needs better antagonists, yet at the same time I think the films sort of do well when their antagonists are less solid---it seems Japanese films in general seem to go that route more than American films which have a need to toss in a villain sometimes out of nowhere. I kind of like when the villain ends up being a "force of nature" (Unown, Rayquaza, Regi Trio) rather than a villain with an evil goal.

I'd like to see cameos (albeit brief) of characters from all generations (or at least most)

I don't know why I laughed and thought to myself, they'd probably troll everyone and bring back Todd the photographer, Iris, and for good measure, Jigglypuff as the ultimate team to help Ash out in this movie.

"Will Jigglypuff be able to put the legend to rest? Is Todd going to get the picture he always wanted? Will Iris prove to Satoshi that he truly is such a kid? Find out in our 20th anniversary movie!"

So, it's called "I Choose You!" and the trailer showed Ash in Pallet Town, preparing to start his first Pokemon journey.

Last edited:
In other words, a movie remake of a first episode? Sure, it's cool, but how in a world they could extend it?

Sorry, but I'm curious and skeptical at the same time this was announced.

Could just be a short instead as a treat for the 20th anniversary with the movie showing the next mythical Pokemon to be distributed after.

It's a retelling of Ash's beginning, and it is the main movie of 2017. I am quite thankful that they're doing something different; they'd be fools to stick to a formula that has evidently become stale in the eyes of many.

Since the title just references the beginning, I think that future movies will continue the story of this new Ash. Hopefully there won't be much focus on the badge quest, because I don't find that very interesting for any movie.

Garren said:
Butler: I'm surprised you didn't mention him, I thought he was better than Lawrence III with a fun backstory that loosely tied into the games and had enough depth to be entertaining. But I have a soft spot for the Jirachi film.
I liked him, but I wouldn't call him memorable.

Last edited:
I think instead of marshadow they will distribute mew and ash-pikachu(those hat pikachu thing) with z crystals and wait next year for marshadow. Or maybe this is a reality made by marshadow? Like what is ash is not late and not choose pikachu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom