• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New scans from PokeFan
ZAIkJ5o.jpg
ZAIkJ5o
dk8wX1p
dk8wX1p.jpg
k7DFwzf.jpg

That Ho-Oh art from the bottom left is a revamped version of its 1997 Sugimori artwork.

Probably no news, but I'd like to see a translation.

Just seeing that redrawn ash gets me excited :love:

Dephender said:
Are you ready for your adventure?!

Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! premieres Saturday July 15th!
Satoshi and Pikachu look up at the sunset. Before them, we can see a Pokémon flying through the skies...! The poster for the new Pokémon movie gives us huge expectations for the story we all want to learn more about!!

The boy setting out on an adventure is Satoshi...?
In the teaser for the movie, we see a boy that seems like he'll be setting off on a journey soon. He gives us the feeling that he's just starting out, that he's walking out into a world never before seen!!

A small town surrounded by nature. Is this where he'll take his first step as a Pokémon Trainer from...?

The boy, who's wearing a hat, grabs a monster ball and rushes outside! There's no doubt: The protagonist of this tale is Satoshi!

A legendary Pokémon: Its name is HOUOU!!
The Pokémon with the big wings Satoshi and Pikachu are looking up at is Houou!! It's a legendary Pokémon that's also said to have been mentioned in myths. So is this movie a tale of an adventure of Satoshi's related to Houou...?

What is Houou's secret?!
It is said to have wings that shine in seven colors and to live at the foot of the rainbow. Shrouded in mysteries as it is, it truly is a legendary Pokémon!!
Sweet. Ho-Oh seems to play an important role.

Goodness, though, they can't even call Pallet Town by its name? Kids aren't clueless.

It'll be the unpopular opinion here, but man oh man, I am not looking forward to this one bit.

This is exactly what I feared: a nostalgia-type reboot- I'm sorry, RIP to the late Takeshi Shudo, you worked really hard on the early parts of OS, and to see the saga being redone in Movie form with new designs really rubs me the wrong way.

Although having said this, I guess Ash looks ok and his outfit reminds me of the OS one with both jacket & gloves, but the hat is this very awkward amalgamation of his OS, SM, and XY styles, don't care for it, while his eye style is similar to BW-SM's Anime/Movie form.

P.S. OH MY GOD, THINKING OF THIS DUBBED...

Eh. I somehow doubt that Shudo would have cared about the design changes.

The original series was not exactly the story he wanted to tell. Let's see how this one goes.

So it seems like they style (if that artwork is anything to go off of) will be like a mix between XY's and OS's? Like a modernized version of the Kanto style?

New scans from PokeFan
ZAIkJ5o.jpg
ZAIkJ5o
dk8wX1p
dk8wX1p.jpg
k7DFwzf.jpg

I like this design. More so than I expected. Sharp edges and a hybrid of classic/modern. Only difference is the hat.

And apparently, Ho-Oh is going to play a major part in the movie. YAY!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Eh. I somehow doubt that Shudo would have cared about the design changes.

The original series was not exactly the story he wanted to tell. Let's see how this one goes.
I suppose, but the first third or so of the Original Series did let him have some creativity & input before he left, whereas now, the poor guy's deceased and I personally feel like this *could* (not saying it will) crap over his hard work, if you want me to blunt.

I mean, maybe it's just me taking pity on him, but I can't help but feel bad.

I suppose, but the first third or so of the Original Series did let him have some creativity & input before he left, whereas now, the poor guy's deceased and I personally feel like this *could* (not saying it will) crap over his hard work, if you want me to blunt.

I'd say Movie 16 "crapped over" the first movie because it heavily borrowed ideas from it without really acknowledging it. It was... bad.

I also think that removing continuity altogether, as XY surely did, isn't doing Shudo any favors.

In this case, if they actually compare the movie to the original series, encouraging people to watch both, then I don't see it as disrespect by any means. I guess your fears aren't unwarranted, but I choose to be optimistic for now.

Last edited:

Just because Takeshi Shudo is no longer around doesn't mean the stories and themes of his can never be used. And keep in mind, he's not the only one who has worked on the first episode.

Plus, the movie essentially confirms it's a reboot. And reboots tend to be more favorable than unexplained doubles and retcons.

Just because Takeshi Shudo is no longer around doesn't mean the stories and themes of his can never be used. And keep in mind, he's not the only one who has worked on the first episode.

Plus, the movie essentially confirms it's a reboot. And reboots tend to be more favorable than unexplained doubles and retcons.
I'm well aware, but even if I'm the only one not gushing over this reboot idea, doesn't mean I have to like it either- I will give it a chance, but I can't help but be hesitant about this.

I'd say Movie 16 "crapped over" the first movie because it heavily borrowed ideas from it without really acknowledging it. It was... bad.

I also think that removing continuity altogether, as XY surely did, isn't doing Shudo any favors.

In this case, if they actually compare the movie to the original series, encouraging people to watch both, then I don't see it as disrespect by any means. I guess your fears aren't unwarranted, but I choose to be optimistic for now.

I agree on XY and M16, for sure, but I just can't help but be worried right now- still, I'll give it a chance, don't get me wrong.

I like the reboot idea if only because it's the only thing they could do to honor the original series other than just bringing some of the characters back, which is something they obviously aren't very good at (aside from the Togepi arc).

I'll take a reboot with Ho-Oh, Misty and Brock over forcing those characters into Alola.

I like the reboot idea if only because it's the only thing they could do to honor the original series other than just bringing some of the characters back, which is something they obviously aren't very good at (aside from the Togepi arc).

I'll take a reboot with Ho-Oh, Misty and Brock over forcing those characters into Alola.
I see that point, but I'm sure the dub will dishonor those very characters no matter what given I can see what will happen in that instance: I just hope the Japanese version either stays true to the Original Series' Anime for the most part or forges its own path rather than soullessly rehash a story told before.

I see that point, but I'm sure the dub will dishonor those very characters no matter what given I can see what will happen in that instance: I just hope the Japanese version either stays true to the Original Series' Anime for the most part or forges its own path rather than soullessly rehash a story told before.
Don't watch the dub. I guess I'll wait for the Japanese DVD even if the movie gets a theatrical release in the US.

Looks like Ash will get the Ho-oh (I suddenly forgot its spelling XD so not sure if it's correct or not) feather for this adventure, judging from the first image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom