1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

PREVIEW: M20: I Choose You!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by Playerking, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Islander Princess

Islander Princess He entered a million postcards to win this hat!

Blog Posts:
    I also don't think it's fair to compare the SM characters to these characters. SM is a show, with a new episode almost every week. There is more time for us to learn more about the characters, and for them to be developed. This is a movie. I think it's important to know a little bit more about these characters than we did about the ones in SM because we aren't going to be seeing them every week for 22 minutes.

2. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    It's more reason to give them more chance, because they don't have the luxury of appearing every week that SM characters had.

3. Mikuri

Mikuri Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    The most recent one featured a Magearna playing a damsel-in-distress. So there's your answer.

Nice to know Marshadow will be more involved, I wasn't expecting it to battle. Its Pokédex entry says it's quite coward.

martianmister and SammyW27 like this.
  4. Islander Princess

Blog Posts:
    Except that's hard when I know nothing about them. These are brand new characters, being introduced solely for a movie. For me at least, it's very difficult to have interest in a character when I barely know anything about them. Like I said, I can be more forgiving towards the show because it's a more constant thing. But when I'm going into a movie that's only 1.5-2 hours, I need a bit more information beforehand before I can get invested in them.

Obviously, that's my own feelings. It's fine if the vagueness makes you more interested. But for me, it's not working.

Powerstars likes this.
  5. Mikuri

Mikuri Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Are these characters being treated differently from past movie characters? That's a legit question. From what I remember we knew next to nothing about the characters from last year's movie. Two blonde royal kids and a generic villain who wanted to use Magearna's power. Wow.

The Pokémon Company isn't owned by Marvel. They don't release an entire movie's plot via trailers before the movie even hit theaters. We will have to wait and see.

6. SammyW27

SammyW27 Pony Ball Z: Battle of Alicorns!

Blog Posts:
    Not to mention Diancie, Jirachi, Celebi twice, Mew the 2nd time, Manaphy and Victini.

So yeah, having Marshadow actually get in on the action sounds good to me.

martianmister and Mikuri like this.
  7. ii kanji

ii kanji Clean bowled ⚾

Blog Posts:
    I suppose the difference is that we did already know Citron, Serena and Eureka.

8. Shadao

Shadao Pikachu's Global Adventure

Blog Posts:
    It's a cowardly lion-type of Pokémon. Wants to battle, but too scared to do it.

9. Islander Princess

Blog Posts:
    Because they weren't traveling with Ash. Everyone knew they were the one off movie characters.

If these brand new characters are simply one offs like all of the movie characters of the past, then you're right, I don't need to know that much about them, and they'll end up carrying on what I believe has become the absolute worst part of the movies.

10. Mikuri

Mikuri Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    No shit, Sherlock!

We have no reason to believe Makoto and Souji are going to become recurring characters.

martianmister likes this.
  11. Shoutmon

Shoutmon Digimon King

Blog Posts:
    Soji and Makoto are obviously movie-only characters

martianmister likes this.
  12. ii kanji

ii kanji Clean bowled ⚾

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I can't remember a single CotM I have felt positively about since Lucario.

I suppose in many ways this movie has a chance to change that! Now that I'm (kind of) over the initial disappointment/fury/uncontrollable tears, I'm weirdly looking forward to see if the movie itself can surpass my rock bottom expectations for it.

Islander Princess likes this.
  13. Islander Princess

Blog Posts:
    Then that's why I don't see the point of the whole thing. If these characters were created as the usual CotM, yet they are traveling within the movie with Ash, then I just don't get it. What was the point? The CotM have been awful, and they're a major reason I haven't actually enjoyed a Pokémon movie in years.

I guess I'm just disappointed because I was hoping this movie would be different with the anniversary connection, and as time goes on, in my mind, it's just feeling like any other movie we've gotten recently. I think it's great that there are people who are excited about the movie and look forward to it. But for me, personally, I'm just really disappointed over the whole thing. I wanted to look forward to the movie too, and was hoping to see something a little different, but at this point I don't think it's going to happen for me.

14. Mikuri

Mikuri Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    We know more about Grings Kodai from Zoroark: Master of Illusions than we know about Clemont. No joke.

If you don't like movie characters that's fine, but let's not pretend they're complete failures who add no value to these movies and only exist to make things worse.

Some of them are indeed shitty characters, but there are movies in which humans play a very small role and the movie sucks anyway, see Genesect and the Legend Awakened for reference.

Kallyle, Cresselia92 and Sakuraa like this.
  15. Islander Princess

Blog Posts:
    Which is why I said a major reason. Not the only reason.

The movies have been awful for reasons outside of the CotMs. But to me, they are a part of what stands out as being notably bad. Really just my feelings on the matter, so I'll leave it at that.

16. SinnohEevee

SinnohEevee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I don't remember the name of any CofM, except Bianca and Sir Aaron.

SammyW27 likes this.
  17. Kallyle

Kallyle A Horizon's Knight

Blog Posts:
    You are right that there wouldn't a a point for Souji and Makato to be traveling with Ash when they could have used existing characters instead. For some reason, I feel like TPCi are trying to establish a movie-only continuity. Now, why would they do that? Because all of the previous movies haven't been doing well with flat one-shot characters and generic promotion. Basically, I feel like the creation of Souji and Makato are more than just excuses to not bring back older characters.

I think it is at least possible that TPCi are using new characters because they seem to have a limit on how much they can change characters that exist within the games (at least in their eyes). By using Souji and Makato, we have two brand new characters who aren't tied to any of the games (that we know of). This gives TPCi more wiggle room to create characters that more can be done with in the future. They are probably aware that the main Anime isn't all that tied together, so establishing a cast for a new movie continuity could mean that we finally get a (somewhat) continuous Anime continuity!

In summary, I think the reason behind Souji and Makato's creation was so TPCi could have more freedom with the movie characters and be able to have characters taken in direction they wouldn't be allowed to with the current and past traveling companions.

We also don't have a reason to believe that they couldn't show up for future movies or other Pokémon Anime installments either.

18. Shoutmon

Shoutmon Digimon King

Blog Posts:
    Soji and Makoto aren't really different to any CotM . People are just more critical of them because they "replaced" Misty and Brock

martianmister and Mikuri like this.
  19. Shadao

Shadao Pikachu's Global Adventure

Blog Posts:
    Whether you like the new companions or not, I have to admit they look good here.

[​IMG]

It might even pass as an original movie if Ash wasn't the main protagonist of the anime series.

Hmmmm, I want to make a banner signature out of that. Is there any way to do that?

20. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    I wish the whole of Pokemon anime worked with that artstyle.