• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do worry that if they remake the first episode, they will soften Pikachu's personality. Remember, the electric mouse was a major asshole when we first saw him. I don't want Ash and Pikachu to be already be all buddy buddy when they first meet.
That is one of the core aspects I don't see changing. Ash saving Pikachu from the Spearow and vice-versa can only work well if they don't start off as buddies.

I bet Ho-oh will still be a quick appearance and never have a proper movie appearance.
lol, it'll probably forget to allow Satoshi to fly on its back and speak to him through telepathy. That Ho-oh is such a downer... first Mew tricks us into thinking that we're seeing one in Lucario's movie and now this! Like the golden egg of long ago, he will make a quick appearance and forgotten in the land of unused Pokemon. Taurus will have a friend in Ho-oh though it can at least say, it had an episode to it.

I have always been interested in Ho-oh's backstory, origin, and lore. I have also always thought/wished that there was something more to it besides resurrecting the Beasts. I use to think it was just tacked on to the Johto lore/region, but now I am hoping it's way more than previously foretold. Perhaps it was originally a main legendary pokemon of Kanto. Then again it may just be a cameo, hopefully not.

I guess gary would be the same as he was at the start of the show. Probably be rude to ash after getting his pokemon

I have always been interested in Ho-oh's backstory, origin, and lore. I have also always thought/wished that there was something more to it besides resurrecting the Beasts. I use to think it was just tacked on to the Johto lore/region, but now I am hoping it's way more than previously foretold. Perhaps it was originally a main legendary pokemon of Kanto. Then again it may just be a cameo, hopefully not.
You're interested in its backstory but you used to think it was tacked onto Johto?

It was never said to have been intended for Kanto. They revealed it in the first anime episode because Gold and Silver were originally supposed to be released later that year.

And it does have more going for it than just resurrecting the beasts; it seeks a pure-hearted trainer to restore the bond between people and Pokémon. The anime and games just haven't explained what that means exactly.

Last edited:
You're interested in its backstory but you used to think it was tacked onto Johto?

It was never said to have been intended for Kanto. They revealed it in the first anime episode because Gold and Silver were originally supposed to be released later that year.

And it does have more going for it than just resurrecting the beasts; it seeks a pure-hearted trainer to restore the bond between people and Pokémon. The anime and games just haven't explained what that means exactly.

We now know that a lot of Johto pokemon were in fact created for RBY. I like to think that Ho-oh was one of those dropped pokemon. The reason GF dropped the additional Johto pokemon was because of the technological restrictions of the gameboy cartridge. If they wanted to include many of the Johto pokemon, it stands to reason that one of them was a legendary (Ho-oh) then they would also have an original backstory and lore with those pokemon. Of course this is all conjecture; however, it is fact that they tried to include much more pokemon that the original 151 to a number more closely to 190. Most of this is speculation though.

Edit: Also what can be said about Ho-oh currently besides it has the power of resurrection and seeks out trainers with a pure heart that can bond both trainers and pokemon? Not a lot, perhaps traveling the world? The other legendary birds can do that as well if Sinnoh and Kalos (game cannon only?) are anything to go by.

Last edited:
Edit: Also what can be said about Ho-oh currently besides it has the power of resurrection and seeks out trainers with a pure heart that can bond both trainers and pokemon? Not a lot, perhaps traveling the world? The other legendary birds can do that as well if Sinnoh and Kalos (game cannon only?) are anything to go by.
One of the Pokedex entries says that it lives at the "foot of a rainbow" and that its feathers bring joy to the people that bear them.

Speaking of which, the Rainbow Wing is shown on the poster. It was not included in Ho-Oh's original debut.

Last edited:
Back in December 2006? No. We didn't even know the next movie would be connected until a full year after that (the first teaser from July was just about Regigigas), and even then they just included Dialga and Palkia in the poster without drawing attention to them.

The DP movies were pretty loosely connected. I want something more this time.

I hadn't intended to mean M10 was announced as a trilogy, just that it ended up being announced to be connected to the movies following it by them, but my wording was poor. Thank you for jogging my memory.

One of the Pokedex entries says that it lives at the "foot of a rainbow" and that its feathers bring joy to the people that bear them.

Speaking of which, the Rainbow Wing is shown on the poster. It was not included in Ho-Oh's original debut.

But was it included in HeartGold? They originally intended something different for Ho-oh and/or are elaborating something completely new now. Either way I'm extremely excited that this pokemon will have something beyond what it is currently, and the fanboy inside of me is activated.

I've been here since the very beginning of RBY in America, and am not a primary fan of Kanto. The order from me goes from best to worse is Sinnoh, Johto, Alola, Kalos, Hoenn, Kanto, and Unova which is odd for me because I am from North America, but TL;DR is that I'm not biased in any way to my hemisphere or generational debut. Take that as you will.

YES! I'm not watching SM so I will atleast have some pokemon anime to watch! even if it's just a movie, I don't care! I wanted this series to reboot and fix the mistakes it did in the past. The visuals look awesome here! I can't wait to see what this movie has to offer us.
SM games have Mewnium Z ( Z stone for Mew) so maybe it will be features in the film? Also the Ash-Pikachu will surely be distributed during this movie!

Shoji Yonemura is confirmed to be the writer.

I am not really impressed by his track record, but unlike Tomioka, we don't know how he would handle a movie. It's worth noting that he wrote the Violet and Blackthorn gym episodes, as well as Squirtle and Bulbasaur's Johto League battles and the AG reunion (Brandon battle). So he probably likes the Kanto starters quite a bit, and he doesn't necessarily favor Charizard going by the Brandon battle.

We now know that a lot of Johto pokemon were in fact created for RBY. I like to think that Ho-oh was one of those dropped pokemon. The reason GF dropped the additional Johto pokemon was because of the technological restrictions of the gameboy cartridge. If they wanted to include many of the Johto pokemon, it stands to reason that one of them was a legendary (Ho-oh) then they would also have an original backstory and lore with those pokemon.

Except Morimoto actually confirmed that Ho-Oh wasn't planned for Gen 1.

Shoji Yonemura is confirmed to be the writer.

I am not really impressed by his track record, but unlike Tomioka, we don't know how he would handle a movie. It's worth noting that he wrote the Violet and Blackthorn gym episodes, as well as Squirtle and Bulbasaur's Johto League battles and the AG reunion (Brandon battle). So he probably likes the Kanto starters quite a bit, and he doesn't necessarily favor Charizard going by the Brandon battle.

Based on some of his episodes, he does have a thing for telling smaller scale stories that involve a trainer and their Pokémon, particularly Clemont and Bunnelby as well as Ash and Greninja. Since the first episode of Pokémon is based around the bond between Ash and Pikachu (and Takeshi Shudo is no longer around to write it), Yonemura would be a good pick to tackle this kind of this episode.

Except Morimoto actually confirmed that Ho-Oh wasn't planned for Gen 1.

Are you referring to the Smogon interview? Because from what I read, the translator may have been confused if it were Ho-oh or hoothoot that was being referred about. I have no idea the validity of such things because I am not fluent in Japanese. But you're most likely correct I assume because even though the design was completed by the first episode, that doesn't necessarily mean it was intended for RBY. These are the type of things I like to speculate about, another one being what they intended Entei to do in its original event which was different and separate from the other two Beasts.

This movie is bringing back all of my childhood theories. Just awesome.

But you're most likely correct I assume because even though the design was completed by the first episode, that doesn't necessarily mean it was intended for RBY.
By April 1997 Gold and Silver had already been announced and Ho-Oh was just one of the revealed Pokemon. Take a look at the CoroCoro coverage from March 1997.

By April 1997 Gold and Silver had already been announced and Ho-Oh was just one of the revealed Pokemon. Take a look at the CoroCoro coverage from March 1997.

I completely understand. I guess I was just theorizing when the Johto additions were originally created and what for. I mean for example pokemon like houndour, houndoom, and what other pokemon were meant for RBY, but there isn't any way to prove which pokemon were supposedly created for the first generation that were cut out due to limitations. The only thing that can be taken as fact is the number was supposed to be closer to 190 then 151. I'm getting way off topic!

I say all of this, but Ho-oh may just in fact be a cameo. I hope not and think not because of the fact that they are including the rainbow feather. I wonder if this will just be a grand retelling of only the first episode without the addition of Ash's other pokemon. That would be hard to stretch out for 90+ minutes however.

Edit: I love the fact that the magazine was suggesting Ampharos was either a Raichu evolution or from outer space. Those were fun days along with pikablu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom