• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of down on this movie, I like to think of the movies as canon with the main anime and happening at somehat unspecified points in Ash's journey akin to Filler episodes.

I absolutly hate reboots, I hate when bits of continuity are just changed. Ash's connection with Ho-oh will be explored here, but that still leaves their relationship in the 'main timeline' untouched.

What is the point of the 20th anniversary, if you are going to pretend the last 19 years did not happen?

Here's the trailer.

A quite summary:

This is no retelling, this is essentially a new world and continuity altogether.

With new characters and such.

Well, absolutely amazed by this trailer. Since Ash is getting two new companions, it looks like this is gonna be set in an alternate universe where Ash never met Misty or Brock. He might battle them as Gym leaders but I doubt it really. Also anyone notice Pikachu trusting Ash a bit earlier than expected?

Also rather amazed that other Pokémon from other regions will be in it too, though I can understand the Alolan ones (gotta advertise them since we have the anime I suppose)

But I'm not complaining, this film already looks pretty good. The animation just looks outstanding. I mean don't get me wrong, S&M's animation is good but this almost seems like a breath of fresh air for me.

Now fingers crossed TPCI do the right thing.

Saw the trailer and i can confirm how im not even gonna bother touching this garbage. This movie is utter disappointment and let down as far as im concerned.

You make movie dedicated toward celebration of 20th anniversary of pokemon series. Yet you retcon everything setting Ash and Pikachu in alternate universe with two new characters no one cares and knows about?
Removing Misty and Brock who were clearly crucial and important characters during Ash starting days and pokemon anime roots. On top of that you give false hope of pother older characters like Dawn for example maybe appearing due to Piplup propmotion, and they give pokemon heavily associated with one character to someone else.
What a joke.

Most importantly what's the point?

Do they really think this move will relieve older memories of pokemon fans who grew up with original series? Who grew up watching Ash adventures in OS with his friends Misty and Brock?
Im more than sure it wont. It will only incite anger, shock and disappointments with majority who will even bother going to watch this movie being people who already religiously watch pokemon anime anyway.

Many of you probably don't know this, but pokemon veterans are well familiar how many people quit with pokemon anime for good once original trio was disbanded(backlash after Misty removal lasted for years). And executives finally had chance and logical, symbolic meaning for reunion of original cast. Given its 20th anniversary after all, and they blew it completely.

Now im starting to really suspect how pokemon directors and writers themselves are ashamed of Misty and Brock as Ash traveling companions. Especially Misty given controversy surrounding her, head writer for OS Takeshi Shudo views about her and missed chances to have her character and story live up ti its potential(rather opting to replace her than fix mistakes and give her deserved closure and development).

Trying to erase this two characters and most of things related to pokemon riots completely and hope fans will eventually forget and completely stop caring like they did for GS ball.

How else to explain Misty being ignored for more than 10 years like shew never existed(didn't had her own unresolved story and place in anime never receiving update), Brock following same destiny from looks of it. And now both being excluded from this movie???

Those in charge of pokemon with this move if you ask me showed nothing but disrespect and zero care for older pokemon fans, older major main characters who contributed toward pokemon show becoming recognized and popular internationally. Along with not having any desire and motive to make newer generations of kids familiarized with pokemon anime roots.

True story about how everything began, what were Ash starting days really like and who made impact on his journey and story of pokemon anime itself.
And those were Misty, Brock, Team Rocket and Gary.

I feel in a way sorry for pokemon viewers, because they. Actually we deserved better for such big milestone like 20 year of pokemon anime. Because looking back and comparing pokemon with other franchises and what they were doing for their anniversaries.

Like "Digimon Tri Adventure!" making whole chain of movies made with reunited grown up original cast. "Dragon Ball Super!" following same suit. Yugioh making movie " Yugioh Dark side of Dimensions!" with original characters from first series being part of new adventures refreshed, updated and recognized as important for this series roots.

This is how you make proper anniversaries for long lasting anime.

Unlike Pokemon anime which abandons and disrespects its roots, continuity and history.
Sorry to say but im not interested in this travesty, ahem movie at all.

p.s, Apologies for this you could call rant, but this are my thoughts about decisions and direction in which pokemon 20th anniversary is going to be acknowledged.

Last edited:
I'm still interested in the movie, but solely due to Ho-Oh. I can't say that I am excited anymore; I expected retcons from the get-go, but the Neon Evangelion Rebuild approach would have been much better.

These new characters are an extremely questionable choice even if they happen to be from the next games.

So awesome that there are new characters!! I love their design!! I love how they're introducing Marshadow, too :D

Where in that trailer is a Lucario?

zBSYGfX.png

It's been a very long time since I was excited about a Pokémon movie, but this new trailer has scratched all my itches in just the right places. I can understand why some are concerned about newer species being integrated and more importantly, original characters filling roles previously occupied by others we're nostalgic towards, but I really like the idea of mixing things up a bit. A straight 1:1 retelling would be kinda boring imo.

I was right about Piplup will be in the movie.
Analyzing appropriate merchandise clearly works.
Now I claim that Bewear and Mimikyu will be in too.

And they'll probably use this to throw in Wobbuffet, which I wouldn't complain.

Yeah, keeping the core cast doesn't mean it would have been a 1:1 adaptation. I was hoping they would shake up the storyline either way with characters we already knew and cared about instead of literally whos. As a milestone celebration, I'm a bit disappointed with the choice in companions. Pocchama even ends up being in the movie, but the trainer isn't even Hikari, who I much rather would have seen compared to this Makoto girl.

The concept of an alternate continuity still makes this film seem a lot more interesting compared to your average Pokemon movie these days, yet it also seems like it'll be disappointing for other reasons.

Anyways, for those who are curious and can read them, Japanese Twitter replies for M20's new trailer.

More on the characters, as @Silktree said, the female character (Makoto) is a tomboy, and the male character (Souji) is a trainer who aspires to be a researcher. Cross, the trainer with the Gaogaen, is aiming to be the strongest trainer and judging by what he says in the trailer, he believes friendship between trainers and their Pokemon is weak (careful, you might cut someone with that edge). Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be a poor man's Shinji.

Last edited:
I dig it. I mean, an AU story with a whole new story and different characters is far more preferable to a nostalgic cash grab rehashing old ground. I'm far more interested in these characters and the world the movie is presenting than I would have been in a completely straight Kanto-arc retelling. If I wanted to see OS again I'd just go back and rewatch old episodes.

Reading the basic plot details, it sounds as if Brock and Misty would have been extraneous to this story. They might make cameos as gym leaders, but as companions I'm not convinced what role they could have played here. It makes sense for Ash to be interested in Ho-Oh, but not so much for Brock, Misty or even Gary.

It's entirely possible that Ash simply won't meet Misty as he did originally, and did his battle with Brock goes very differently and doesn't end with Brock travelling with him. That'd at least really hammer home that this is an AU.

Also if we're being cynical, new characters are a convenient way of shoehorning Gen IV Pokemon in to tease Gen IV remakes. Seems a typical "wants the cake and to eat it too" scenario - they want the nostalgia, anniversary cash grab as well as the marketing for future projects.

Seeing older companions in a new story isn't something I'd see by re-watching episodes.

And as said before, it wouldn't have been hard to add new Pokemon and change the storyline with the original core cast... it's an AU where they have freedom to change things up, including of course, adding new characters. Considering we don't know much about the new characters either, it's too early to say whether or not they'd be less extraneous to the story as Takeshi, Kasumi, or Shigeru would have been. Makoto is an energetic tomboy and Cross... thinks friendship sucks. Not much indicating a specific relevance to Houou so far.

You have Souji who wants to be a researcher, okay, but then Shigeru eventually becomes a researcher in the old continuity as well, so the writers could have that quality present in his old history to play around with in a new story. Bonjii's bio actually mentions Houou and how his life practically revolves around the damn overgrown rooster, but you can easily have included him alongside new versions of the older cast as well.

But do any of these trainer characters, old or new, really need a specific incentive to give a crap about Houou? In the world of Pokemon, isn't it ridiculous for a trainer not to be even remotely interested in Houou, a legendary Pokemon? I don't see how it would be forced in any way for any type of companion or friend or rival to be invested/interested in Satoshi's search for Houou. Traveling companions, even in the main anime, tend to go along with Satoshi in whatever adventurous shenangians he aims to take part in, anyway.

It's a rather questionable choice considering, I believe the most logical conclusion from a marketing standpoint is that this has something to do with upcoming games unrelated to Gen IV remakes (because then... why not use Hikari, who is understandably ultra-popular? Why not Shinji instead of Cross? lol). That is... Gen VII Kantou sequels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom