• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes beauty is subjective. I always found May, Serena, and Dawn cuter than Misty for example. But it all depends on the person and what their personal tastes are. Nothing wrong with feeling either way here. For me, though, personality plays a big role, so I won't judge the new characters, male or female, until I see the movie.

I'm really disappointed that the legendary beasts appear to be in this movie. I actually love the legendary beasts, but I was looking forward to Ho-Oh finally getting some focus. Adding Marshadow in was bad enough. I feel like this always happens: too much gets crammed into one movie and as a result, the writing, and therefore the pacing and plot, suffer.

I also think the female companion actually looks worse in that shot. She is so ridiculously bland. Kind of weird they didn't shoot for more detailed character designs for a movie...

Part of the Legendary Beasts lore was their connection to Ho-Oh. As for Marshadow, it too has a connection to Ho-Oh through a rainbow motif. As long as they are connected, I don't see the problem with Ho-Oh focus time. After all, the goal is to find Ho-Oh, which is something that very few Pokémon movies have ever done.

I highly doubt that the movie will touch upon the Ecruteak lore in much detail, and I don't see what rainbow motif Marshadow has.

What is the name of Marshadow's special Z-Move? Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike. How many colors does a rainbow have? 7. A mere coincidence? Sure, it is, but it would be quite interesting if the number "7" played some kind of role in the movie.

Regarding the Legendary Beasts, I don't mind them appearing in the movie. Perhaps they will just appear as a flashback, when the gang finds out more information about Ho-Oh. Maybe the old guy will tell them about the legend of the three creatures' revival, or something akin to that.

We don't need some extensive explanation about everything related to Ho-Oh or some extremely relevant role for the beasts, but at least the gang and Marshadow could learn something more about the phoenix's backstory.

I suspect that the beasts are in the movie just to add a bit more spice to the mountain quest beyond the battle with Cross.

Marshadow might battle all three. (n)

Cross and Bonji are colorful, but still ugly.

So? I said "interesting", not "beautiful" or one of its synonyms. Even ugly designs are better than dull ones. :p

I'd rather have ugly characters I can remember over plain ones I'll almost immediately forget.

the seven in Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike. is probably based on the Pleiades star cluster and the rainbow is just a coincidence

They could link Marshadow to Ho-Oh via the afterlife theme, but there is zero indication of that. The manga adaptation implies that Marshadow wants to master its Z-move and maybe prove its courage to Ho-Oh.

Ken explains that his grandfather chose Houou as the dojo's guardian deity before directing Marshadow to a Z-Ring placed on a shelf under the scroll. Ken calls this the "Hero's Ring" and recalls how his grandfather used to always say that the only person who can actually meet Houou is the "Rainbow Hero." In order to become this hero, he continues, you have to have the courage to be able to stand up to an opponent even if you know you have no chance of winning. Ken tells Marshadow that he knows he doesn't have that kind of courage himself and so would like to ask Marshadow to look over his grandfather's dojo instead.
If this is the angle the movie is going with, then meeting Ho-Oh is about courage rather than being a pure-hearted trainer... The hero wording already implies that.

I honestly think the whole "rainbow connection" thing (heh...see what I did there?) is giving them too much credit. It seems almost like a reach at this point. I just think this movie is starting to have way too much going on in it. It's almost like the writers try to do the most and it backfires.

They use as many Pokemon as possible so that more merchandise can be made. It really is that simple.

Since no merchandise exists for Bulbasaur or Squirtle, I reserve the right to be concerned about the two Pokemon that definitely belong here.

I honestly think the whole "rainbow connection" thing (heh...see what I did there?) is giving them too much credit. It seems almost like a reach at this point.

I'm not giving credit to anyone. I'm merely considering the possibility.

After all, we still have no idea how the movie is, and deeming something terrible or a failure by looking at the very little information we have is premature.

Just look at the recent reveal of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, for example. When the first rumors came out, there were many people who believed it was going to be a huge disaster, since it features the all so annoying Rabbids and didn't bring back the fan favorite and more classic Rayman, "replacing" him with Rabbids that are "clones" of the classical Mario characters. Sounds familiar?

And yet, it ended up being one of the high points of the E3 conference, with many naysayers changing mind and being clearly impressed by the product, which went way beyond expectations. Sure, many people are still peeved by the lack of Rayman and still hate the Rabbids' guts, but that game is the proof that things may end up better than what people initially believe by just judging fragmentary information.

Not saying that this movie is going to be a smash hit or anything like that, though. It could still flop, as far as we know. However, it could also surprise us and be better than what me may initially believe.

I still am clearly interested in the movie and in seeing how they will implement that stuff. For now, I believe that the Legendary Beasts will have a marginal role and be a sort of "introduction" toward Ho-Oh. Then, Marshadow will have some connection related to Ho-Oh and unlock its Z-Move.

Whatever this connection is I don't know. I just saw the number "7" and immediately thought about the rainbow, the Z-Move and the whole "Pokémon Stars" rumor. However, I won't be disappointed if it won't end up like this. It's just a theory, after all.

I honestly think the whole "rainbow connection" thing (heh...see what I did there?) is giving them too much credit. It seems almost like a reach at this point. I just think this movie is starting to have way too much going on in it. It's almost like the writers try to do the most and it backfires.

It's not simply in Marshadow, but also across Generation 7. From Alola adopting Hawaii's Rainbow License Plate to the codename Rainbow on their website to the fact that Pikachu's Z-Move 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt is 7 Lightning Strikes with the colors of the rainbow. Rainbow and 7 is the motif of this generation and the movie.

Merchandising and it seems that we'll get a retelling of Charmander's story again:
03.jpg

07.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom