• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOVIE IS CONFIRMED TO BE A RETCON!
Adamant said:
Read the manga chapter. It's essentially a retelling of episode 1, just with Cross filling in for Shigeru and Kasumi not appearing. Next chapter should be more interesting.

Some people don't see a difference between an AU and a retcon.

But there is no changing the past no matter how hard the staff try. It's an AU, and a poor one at that.

MOVIE IS CONFIRMED TO BE A RETCON!

Didn't we already know this though? Unless there's something in your post I'm not getting s:

Also I'm not sure if this has been said yet but if Ash doesn't catch Tauros and if the Rocket trio doesn't have Ekans/Koffing then the case could be made that the current tv series doesn't follow this movie's continuity.

Now that's interesting. Cross is a combination of Gary and Damian, with a little dash of Silver. You know, people wonder what kind of a live-action Pokémon movie could be made with a limited runtime (as it doesn't have the luxury of a TV series). Aside from Detective Pikachu, this film may provide the answer. Composition characters are something that happens in movie adaptations.

Dephender said:
He's already a trainer, he drops by the lab to pick up the Hitokage he had had dropped off there earlier, and meets Satoshi in the process.
Sounds pretty stupid to me. He didn't receive the Charmander from Oak, but rather dropped it off temporarily? How random.

Then again, Paul didn't have a good reason to be around Rowan's lab, either. I'd sooner call Cross a Paul imitation than a Damian one.

Last edited:
What is the Damian claim based on? Is his starter confirmed to be Charmander? Does he get rid of it for a Litten that happens to be in Kanto?

According to Adamant:

He's already a trainer, he drops by the lab to pick up the Hitokage he had had dropped off there earlier, and meets Satoshi in the process.

It seems quite a coincidence that Cross just so happens to have a Charmander. And we know about Charmander being abandoned in the wild. Based on previous movie adaptations, certain characters will have to be combined in order to simplify the amount of characters and plot. Thus, it is highly likely that the Charmander that Cross has is the very same Charmander that Ash will get for the movie.

It also tells me that either Makato has been traveling with Ash the entire region of Kanto, or that the Kanto Gym Quest has been completely replaced with the Ho-Oh search.

Yeah, I don't doubt that it is the same Charmander. See my edit above.

It also tells me that either Makato has been traveling with Ash the entire region of Kanto, or that the Kanto Gym Quest has been completely replaced with the Ho-Oh search.
Ash seems to battle Erika in the trailer. Either way, I don't see Makoto leaving as soon as they get to see Ho-Oh, unless the ridiculous villain theory pans out.

I honestly wouldn't put it past them to retcon everything before Sun & Moon.

Me neither, actually. If they want to pull the reset button with the story, they surely will.

Probably they deemed better to just bring a new version of Ash, Pikachu and TRio rather than going through the potential backlash of the "soft reset" that happened during BW.

Me neither, actually. If they want to pull the reset button with the story, they surely will.

Probably they deemed better to just bring a new version of Ash, Pikachu and TRio rather than going through the potential backlash of the "soft reset" that happened during BW.

The fans won't like it, but they may not realize it's a reset. And TPC surely won't care about fan backlash.

Now its official. Its something i suspected for months(we all did) but its still irritating that this movie is reboot set in different universe not having anything from main anime, with Ash being some completely different doppelganger of his set in different timeline. Its illogical, creates further disconnection and chaos within pokemon anime and not gratifying in any way.

Also im still surprised they have nerve to label this movie as 20th anniversary celebrating pokemon series past?. Because what history this movie really is honoring? Because it surely isn't past 20 years, Ash we grew up with, older characters and continuity which used to exit until XY and SM sagas. How it could when its reboot not even having same universe?

And as much as I try to rationalize this there is nothing really nostalgic about this movie as far as im concerned. Ash and Pikachu meeting, starting journey together etc loses drastically on meaningfulness and value of that special moment knowing how this isn't same Ash i invested emotionally into and grew attached, but his clone. Different character with same face, for who i have no attachment whatsoever. There are no older characters which actually used to represent pokemon series and give them identity., Such as Misty, Brock and Gary who are iconic and heavily intertwined with Kanti region as whole, Let alone other older friends like May, Dawn, Tracey etc n this movie.

Or good chunk of Ash iconic and polder pokemon.

Sorry to say folks, but this movie is not giving respect to older fans acknowledging them in any capacity, and neither is addressing and honoring pokemon anime and continuity in my book.

Being disappointed because for anniversary i expected bigger, better work and proper recognition of this show roots.

On a side note: Im getting impression like people are actually happy that Misty and Brock wont be in this movie in any capacity(maybe not in here jut on some sites like SPPF its another story), I understand they're not everyone favorite cup of tea, but to be so much against them even appearing in special occasions like this one was supposed to be is well disheartening and sad.

Same rants all over again...

Can you please elaborate on the 'chunk' of ironing missing Pokemon, the only iconic critter I see missing is Pidgeotto, and it hardly qualifies as a chunk of Pokemon.

On a side note: Im getting impression like people are actually happy that Misty and Brock wont be in this movie in any capacity(maybe not in here jut on some sites like SPPF its another story), I understand they're not everyone favorite cup of tea, but to be so much against them even appearing in special occasions like this one was supposed to be is well disheartening and sad.
You're disheartened at opinions?

Can you please elaborate on the 'chunk' of ironing missing Pokemon, the only iconic critter I see missing is Pidgeotto, and it hardly qualifies as a chunk of Pokemon.

With way Ash other iconic pokemon like Bulbasaur, Squirtle, let alone likes of Muk, Kingler etc will be represented. Because make no mistake Charizard will as usual get 99% of focus(rest Pikachu out of "Ash" pookemon) , they'll be basically nonexistent.

Also in this version from looks of it Charizard will be obedient little puppy from get go taking away significantly from bond and relationship which was built over time between real Ash and Charizard from main anime. Making me even less interested than i could have been if it was more faithful to original source.

You're disheartened at opinions?

Not so much opinions but general atmosphere prevailing among certain group of fans acting like movie with aforementioned characters would be automatically bad. Being highly narrow minded viewpoint if you ask me.

Now its official. Its something i suspected for months(we all did) but its still irritating that this movie is reboot set in different universe not having anything from main anime, with Ash being some completely different doppelganger of his set in different timeline. Its illogical, creates further disconnection and chaos within pokemon anime and not gratifying in any way.

Also im still surprised they have nerve to label this movie as 20th anniversary celebrating pokemon series past?. Because what history this movie really is honoring? Because it surely isn't past 20 years, Ash we grew up with, older characters and continuity which used to exit until XY and SM sagas. How it could when its reboot not even having same universe?

And as much as I try to rationalize this there is nothing really nostalgic about this movie as far as im concerned. Ash and Pikachu meeting, starting journey together etc loses drastically on meaningfulness and value of that special moment knowing how this isn't same Ash i invested emotionally into and grew attached, but his clone. Different character with same face, for who i have no attachment whatsoever. There are no older characters which actually used to represent pokemon series and give them identity., Such as Misty, Brock and Gary who are iconic and heavily intertwined with Kanti region as whole, Let alone other older friends like May, Dawn, Tracey etc n this movie.

Sorry to say folks, but this movie is not giving respect to older fans acknowledging them in any capacity, and neither is addressing and honoring pokemon anime and continuity in my book.

Being disappointed because for anniversary i expected bigger, better work and proper recognition of this show roots.

Stories are told and retold time and time again. Superman's origins as a Kryptonian Baby raised by human parents of a Kanas farm. Batman witnessing the death of his parents. Wonder Woman entering into Man's World. Spider-Man learning Great Power Comes Great Responsibility after the death of Uncle Ben. Captain America fighting World War 2 and being frozen to the present day. These are stories that audiences have heard many times before and will hear in the future.

In the case of Ash Ketchum, his story is a timeless classic and is worth doing a movie adaptation with a logical conclusion. To say that it "creates further disconnection and chaos within pokemon anime" is baloney because the movie has made itself clear from the very beginning of the trailer that this was an AU story and one that has a potential solution to a long problem.

Would it be nice to see Gary, Brock, and Misty? Sure. But a movie must know who is the main focus of the story. And that would be Ash and Pikachu. Even Team Rocket is not that big a priority as Ash's journey as a Pokémon Trainer. And that is for the original series. If we include the rest, we'll end up focusing too much on nostalgia and not enough on story.

This story in particular is about the Ho-Oh. As such, Ash and Pikachu must take center stage.

As for Charmander and Cross, imagine if this as a standalone live-action movie for Pokémon. You're going to have to combine storylines and characters to make the film more engaging. The Warcraft movie attempted that, though I think it could have used some work. Same thing with Spider-Man (2002). Or Jaws (1976).

With way Ash other iconic pokemon like Bulbasaur, Squirtle, let alone likes of Muk, Kingler etc will be represented. Because make no mistake Charizard will as usual get 99% of focus(rest Pikachu out of "Ash" pookemon) , they'll be basically nonexistent.
Bulbasaur and Squirtle are confirmed. You outright said that 'iconic' Pokemon are missing when they're not. That's some backtracking you're doing.
And Muk and Kingler aren't iconic or major. Hell, they were forgotten for 150+ episodes!
This is a movie. They can stuff everything into it.

Not so much opinions but general atmosphere prevailing among certain group of fans acting like movie with aforementioned characters would be automatically bad. Being highly narrow minded viewpoint if you ask me.
I can say that you are being narrow minded, assuming that the new characters are bad, by your own logic.
I'll myself criticise the movie if the characters are bad, which they're currently not. You come of as highly hypcritical there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom