• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M20: I Choose You!

I watched this about a fortnight ago with a friend of mine at the cinema. Before I launch into my review, I must say how lovely it is to see Pokemon as a cinema experience with others. Pokemon is not really an interest I share with other friends irl, especially not the Pokemon anime, so I usually watch it alone at my own house as opposed to with others. This probably has affected my overall enjoyment, as it's so much fun to make jokes at the anime and laugh at it with someone, so I probably had a better time watching this than I would have alone. The rest of the cinema really does richen the experience too; often people laughed at jokes or moments I wouldn't usually find funny, but it's something about their amusement that made me appreciate those scenes more. My friend has little to no interest in Pokemon actually, so it's nice to go along with someone who is an extremely casual fan in order to contrast your feelings (embarrassing when you know much more about a series than is socially acceptable, lol).

Firstly, to get it out of the way - the scene where Pikachu speaks was the stuff of nightmares. I understand that they had to have a high pitch to match the pitch of its cries, but that voice was overly creepy and extremely off-putting, both myself and my friend couldn't get over that. I really wish they had subtitles instead of Pikachu actually speaking, or Pikachu communicated telepathically; if it's supposed to be a heart-warming moment, it falls flat on its face as it jarringly snaps you out of the suspension of disbelief and makes you wonder how could this be? Even if someone hand-waves it with "Ho-Oh", I wish the film actually tried to attempt some elaboration on it instead of just moving on swiftly.

I found Sorrel's character much more fleshed out than I had anticipated in summaries and such, which was a pleasant surprise - did anyone else find his voice too deep for the age of the character portrayed? I really thought it was much too deep. I found it interesting how he very quickly jumped to the assumption that Ash had left the Charmander out in the rain as opposed to Ash rushing in, trying to save the pokemon - I understand it is to show his passion for Pokemon, and considering his Luxray's death, his interest in keeping Pokemon alive/out of bad weather conditions. Though, I did like how he did have such a committed stance towards keeping his Pokemon's homeostasis at optimum (for instance, when he wanted Lucario to go in its ball since the cave was cold), I hope that was intentional, since it caused his backstory to have an effect on his character.

The plot was pretty bad to be honest, but as I had known the overall bones of that before entering the cinema, I didn't care. Besides, I didn't watch it for the purpose of a good plot, I watched it cause it is Pokemon. Team Rocket really did nothing to contribute the film, I felt they were there for pure fanservice (which, I think would have worked on casual fans). Their dub lines were quite poor though so I didn't miss them because I really dislike the pantomime-style in which they speak. I also felt a lot was rushed for the sake of nods to the Original Series, which was nice, but a bit jarring at times.

Verity - I feel her backstory could have benefitted better outside of this film's realm, since there was just so much going on in this movie but it was a waste not to have better exposition on it. She was fine, her personality was quite like Misty's in OS but I felt a bit more temperate than hers, and her relationship with Ash just felt a bit shoehorned. In fact, the whole group dynamic just felt oddly shoved together.

I liked how TPCi, while it didn't explicitly mention it, it didn't shy away from or try to cover up what had happened to Luxray. I was worried this would happen, so it was great that it didn't. All in all, that is not too bad of a scene, it's pretty emotional.

I have so much more to say, but I'm just going to throw in a mention of the field of flowers in the meadow - way too realistic, did not fit in with the art style at all, a little jarring.

I didn't go in the cinema expecting a lot, and I didn't get much in return, however what I did see I didn't mind. I wouldn't rush to watch this film ever again though however I did have an enjoyable experience, how much of that was up to the film, and how much of that was up to being with my friend to watch it, I'm not certain on.

That’s hilarious seeing how M04-M08 kept the entire Japanese soundtrack and AG kept more music than we have now. All done by 4Kids.

I'm not too interested in praising either one for practices, there are things I do like and dislike about both. I dislike 4kids more overall because of the things their former CEO and others spouted that really made tilt my head and sigh along with other bad dub practices.

I saw the movie on Disney XD this morning and really enjoyed it. Charmander was freaking adorable :X3: Sorrel's story about Luxray was so sad :cry: And I love how Verity was sitting on her iphone and Suicune shows up in front of her and she doesn't even so much as snap a pic of it. o_O

The only thing I disliked was TR being there because they really didn't need to be. Also, crotch fire cat was even uglier than it is in the games.

I finally got the chance to see it after skipping out on it in theaters. A few quick thoughts:

- It's not as bad as I initially thought it was going to be, based on the earliest impressions from people who saw the Japanese version.

- I never really got the feeling I was watching a movie, it felt more like a special more than anything to me. Maybe that's because I didn't see it on the big screen, but regardless it doesn't have a very cinematic feel to it in my opinion.

- Slapping OS episode plots together with a new plot just doesn't really work in my opinion. The emotion got sucked out of some of the moments they took from the original series. The Butterfree farewell scene just doesn't work at all. In the original series you got to spend time with Caterpie all the way to Butterfree and while its time on the show was short, they utilized some episodes well to make "Bye-Bye Butterfree" mean something in the end. Here, we just get some quick montage scenes with Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree battling and the farewell scene just felt forced and not as meaningful to me because of that.

- Wait so Ash temporarily dies, gets revived and then immediately wants to battle its saviour. Yeah great idea, you just escaped death and now you want to battle a giant fire bird whose flames could turn Ash and Pikachu to ash (pun not intended) in mere seconds. But I suppose Ho-oh held back or something.

That's it for now I guess. It's certainly not the worst Pokémon film and I still enjoyed watching most of it, so I'd give it a 6/10.

Wasn't able to catch most of the movie, so i have a somewhat weird question to ask..
Was Sorrel's Lucario ever shown throwing a kick in the film?

- Slapping OS episode plots together with a new plot just doesn't really work in my opinion. The emotion got sucked out of some of the moments they took from the original series. The Butterfree farewell scene just doesn't work at all. In the original series you got to spend time with Caterpie all the way to Butterfree and while its time on the show was short, they utilized some episodes well to make "Bye-Bye Butterfree" mean something in the end. Here, we just get some quick montage scenes with Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree battling and the farewell scene just felt forced and not as meaningful to me because of that.

I thought the Charmander plot worked but Butterfree did feel rushed and/or shoehorned. Dunno if longer runtime would have helped with that or not.

I thought the Charmander plot worked but Butterfree did feel rushed and/or shoehorned. Dunno if longer runtime would have helped with that or not.
Or remove it entirely and use that time to flesh out Makoto and Souji as characters a little more

Ash didn't throw the ball for his mum to catch. It's almost like when you play a third version and look for minor changes. Such as the "get in the ball" happening in the lab. Typical Pokemanz.

20 years later and you still wonder why Oak only had three Pokemon to give out. Why didn't he have multiples of the starters? that'd make sense and everyone would get who they want...

I always did wonder why Ash didn't try using the red line, I guess he didn't know how. I mean it wouldn't have worked since I remember Misty's Gyarados refusing it too but it's still a better idea than throwing it at Pikachu. Unless Pikachu wasn't caught yet at this point? I guess not based on when the others had to have theirs hit it, alright fair enough. I guess Ash DOES catch him at some point off screen though, unless of course after all these years he's still wild, lol.

It's a Pidgey not a Spearow he tries at the start? weird.

1000 Spearow is so ridiculous. Other than Beedrills being dicks, nothing like this has ever happened again either really.

How would Ash beat 1000 Spearows lol. Speaking of which I wonder how many levels Pikachu just gained.

And this children, is when Ash wished to be young forever causing him to never age.

Well Caterpie sure was caught differently. This version of Mr Ketchup is already smarter.

I wonder if this Erika hates males too and if Ash had to play dress up?

Random Kanto Lucario.

...Entai in Kanto? using a base stage Pokemon against an Entei seems like a really good idea. I'm just waiting for it to spam "If that is what you wish". Lucario is also a terrible idea.

Piplup gonna get rekd. Damn, Drill Peck this early. Beats Dawn's easily. Pikachu has Iron Tail two regions early!? Hydro Pump?!

This Universe's Ash has a bigger death wish than normal Ash.

Damian I mean Cross, how evil of you. It probably hasn't been eating either.

Guess we wont find out Verity's reason for leaving Sinnoh later... or never?

Huh I've never heard this lore behind the Legendary dogs. Excluding the deaths/rebirth anyway. The "lightning that hits, water that cured, fire that burned etc". Made them a little cooler.

Slightly annoyed Ash's other Pokemon didn't join in the hugs like in that one snow episode. We know he has a Caterpie at least, so that could've joined. Also makes me wonder if the other two only have Lucario and Piplup.

I was wondering what made Verity look different. She looks 900 times better with her hair down.

Using String Shot to do damage lol? also why was it still a Caterpie?

A smart phone in the 90s?! and now Suicune is in Kanto lol. Also Marshadow.

Charmeleon is nice?! what is this universe?! also a different circumstance. What the Exeggutors at?

"There's no such thing as a useless Pokemon". Ash is wrong tbh. Like, imagine a male Combee with a negative nature. Although Ash would probably turn into a powerhouse, beating all Vespiquens. I figured Charemleon would be fighting Lycanrok which seemed silly but I guess not. Inciroar is still a bad match for it though. Seimic Toss as a Charmeleon? interesting.

Yay, the belt flamethrower! I like what it looks like it came from rather than the belt. Only reason to use it on an Inciniroar.

Blaze, interesting. Crap strategy though, since you'll end up losing by accident a few times. "You'll never win." but he just saw him beat a Jigglypuff!?

Damn, jerk Ash. Jesus he's even being a dick to Pikachu. This Ash sucks.

Lmao Pokemon cars. Something similar to this dream world where stuff happens then vanished etc happened with Joey in the new 2017 Yugioh movie also from nostalgia. hmmmmmmmm.

Damn they killed off a Pokemon. Poor Luxray.

These are some weird Primeape. "Butterfree use Sleep Powder." Well it sure it a good job it learned it, cuz Ash would've been unaware. Why did they only throw Team Rocket after two throws when everyone else was like 47?

Pink Butterfree? well there goes Ash's then. Even in other universe it randomly leaves. You know, leaving for a Butterfree you've known for like 14 seconds is a bit dumb but ah well. I'm assuming that was the same Fearow from the start but evovled from Spearow like in that one episode with Pidgeot.

Isn't this Charles Goodshow? ...Banji? close enough.

Expecting evolution to Charizard leading to a easy win. Especially with only 20 mins left. Lol called it. Shouldn't it be unable to fight due to "not being used to it's newly evovled power?" also, Dragon Rage could've been on his Charemeloen... but it's probably another instance of Ash knowing it has a move when he shouldn't. Nice Charizard is still weird.

Be funny if this summoned Yevatel. That Arbok and others sure are trying to do murder.

The infamous moment I've been linked over and over of Pikachu talking lol. Pretty dumb. I heard he was dreaming at this point.

Damn Ash is dead. I kept thinking "since this is a non canon universe, someone should die" but I didn't think it would happen lmao. Although I'm expecting everyone to cry and bring him back like movie 1. Or Ho-Oh will bring him back like the legendary dogs. No explanation for why Ash is alive? at least BS it with Ho-Oh. ...that's not a flower.

"It was Ho-Oh". "oh that's nice". Lmao the lack of care. I guess I wouldn't believe him either.

We never did find out why she's in Kanto. I guess the reason was just being a ranaway... all the way to another region lol. Ash probably could've easily stayed with Legend guy, not like he's leaving Kanto.

Ehhh pointless movie. Was some cool stuff I guess but since it's in an alternate universe, who cares? they could've done something similar with the current cast. Have them go to Kanto, Ash sees Ho-Oh, Damian comes back, there was no need to randomly universe it. At least Verity was cute with her hair down, I guess.

...Verity's mum is Cynthia?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom