• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M21: Everyone's Story

Pretty disappointed with the soundtrack as well, unfortunately. Seems to lack any sort of identity/uniqueness.

The few tracks that I felt DID stand out aren't even arranged (for the game music) or composed (for movie original music) by Shinji Miyazaki.

everyonestorysoundtrack.JPG

As much as I love Miyazaki, his movie soundtracks have gotten weaker and weaker since the Keldeo movie (with the sole exception of I Choose You). Interestingly, I find his TV series music since BW lovely.

Last edited:
@Cookiefication

Do you know if this is the first time Masuda has arranged/composed tracks for a movie? Or the show, for that matter.

Masuda has never composed new music for the movies/series. Whenever Masuda is credited with composition in the TV series/movies, it's always for whatever game music was newly arranged by either Miyazaki, or by others.

General example, in case anybody is confused: Track #2 of this soundtrack, "Beginning of a Journey", was originally composed by Masuda way back as Red & Blue's Route 1 theme, so he still gets composition credits. The new arrangement for this movie, however, was done by Rei Ishizuka. (Incidentally, Miyazaki did none of the game music arrangements in this movie.)

Hope that answers!

Where there spoilers of M 22?
Just the title, Mewtwo retaining its original voice, and the use of CG (possibly exclusive to the trailer). From Dogasu:

As the bubbles continue to rise, we hear a voice that I'm 99.99999999% sure is Masachika Ichimura, the original voice of Mewtwo from Mewtwo Strikes Back! (and that Jouto TV special), recite the opening monologue from the first movie: "What is this place? Who am I?" (ここはどこだ?私は誰だ?). We then see a shot similar to the one below of Mewtwo opening its eyes, though I'm sad to say that the Mewtwo shown in the teaser for next year's film is rendered in CG.

After this, the movie's logo comes up: Pocket Monsters The Movie "Mewtwo Strikes Back! Evolution" (劇場版ポケットモンスター「ミュウツーの逆襲Evolution). The logo, at least now anyway, consists of the word "Evolution" written out in English slapped onto the bottom right-hand corner of the old Movie 1 logo from 1998.

Last edited:
A farfetched psychological review.

I sometimes get the feeling that Pokemon movies, and Japanese Anime in general often comment upon Western psychology and religion. After watching M21 "Everyone's Story" that feeling was particularly strong particularly concerning the blonde, blue eyed, liar and braggart Kagachi, who may be both Donald Trump and an archetypal, big-egoed (from a Japanese perspective) Westerner. He is portrayed sympathetically. He is loved by the SudoWoodo, another liar who feels sympathy with him, and once he comes to terms with his dishonesty, he is forgiven and becomes one of the good guys. All you need to do is admit of the existence of pocket monsters and the problems caused by lying about them, and claiming that one of their most ferocious, Zeraora (whose blonde hair is reminiscent of Kagachi) exists only as a curse is solved. Once this lie is outed, and everyone in the town likewise accepts the existence of the hidden pocket monster, then the human's problems are solved and the curse is no more.

In polytheistic Japan, where the most popular religion is Pure Land Buddhism, and the most famous heroes are Doraemon, Ultraman and Pikachuu, the notion of a kind of monster partner with whom one cooperates is a longstanding tradition. Shingon Buddhists tell us that the self is made up of a large and small self. Nishida, the Zen influenced philosopher claims that we can only identify with our self if we have made a devil (monster?) inside ourselves. In Japan dual heroes with their familiars abound. But somehow in the West the dark side of the self has become hidden, finding its way only perhaps into Freud, Bowie, and Revelations. The breezy way in "Everyone's Story" solves that which might otherwise be described as an apocalypse (meaning "unveiling") is cheerful in ways I hope come true.

Wow, I just now watched this movie and it's gotta be one of the best Pokémon movies I've seen. It's really fresh and unique, more so than I Choose You.
I'm not in a reviewy mood so I can only say I loved it and definetly recommend it.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom