• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M21: Everyone's Story

@Blast
1. How does the movie feel like the older ones? There is no real villain or battle focus.
2. What is each character's problem and how is it resolved?
3. Does Zeraora stay in the forest?
4. Does Xatu do something special?
1. Ash travels to a new city with a connection to a Legendary Pokémon, he befriends the people there, then trouble arises and they all work together to save the city from peril.
2. This is difficult question explain, because it would require me to basically summarize the entire movie in detail. Kagachi lies and cheats all the time to impress his niece Lily. Risa used to be a star at atheletics, but has suffered an injury and has become afraid of running. Torito is bad communicating with others and is very shy, which gets him into trouble with his coworkers. Due to the tragic loss of her Snubbull in the past, Hisui has become a bitter person who resents Pokémon. Largo sabotages the city's power source in order to draw attention away from Zeraora, who is being hunted by humans. Everyone's problem are resolved throughout the story in some way or another, with their Pokémon and Ash helping them to gather their courage.
3. Yeah, Zeraora stay in the forest for the entire movie.
4. I don't know what you mean by something special, but it helps moving fallen objects with its psychic powers.

@Unown Seer

I believe Dogasu already answered most of those questions. The link is in an earlier post.

I have a question though... Which prior movie would people say that this one has most in common with? I.E. Lucario movie, 20th, Entei, etc?

He didn't answer any of my questions and I'm still waiting for his review.

He did say that the humans and their Pokemon are more important than the legendaries, so that's a clear difference from past movies. With the exception of Movie 3, anyway, considering that Molly pretty much was the legend without realizing it.

I have a question though... Which prior movie would people say that this one has most in common with? I.E. Lucario movie, 20th, Entei, etc?
Like I said mentioned, this movie differs greatly from previous Pokémon movies. If I had to pick one, M21 shares some similarities with M10. Both feature an anti-hero Mythical Pokémon who is befriended by a small girl, both feature ancient mechanical structures that save the city from getting wiped out and both lack a human antagonist. Other than Torito and Tonio are similar characters.

Ancient mechanical structure? Oh lord.

@NeoMiniTails It was about Lucario, which battled three legendaries and used its Aura powers to save the day. Not exactly an ordinary Pokemon.

@Unown Seer Lucario is an "aura Pokemon." Of course, he'd use his aura abilities. Just as I expected Charizard to use fire powers to win against Arcticuno.

Lucario, by all means, is an ordinary Pokemon. It did not have a full on battle; it attacked as a way to evade anyone getting hurt.

He is no different than Charizard or Pikachu.

The movie was not focused on any of those legendary Pokemon. The focus was on Sir Aaron and his mysterious past with Lucario. The movie also focused on relationships between humans and Pokemon.

Leaving that technical distinction aside, it was the titular Pokemon alongside Mew and it overshadowed the other characters barring Ash. This movie focuses on more than one pair of trainer and Pokemon.

@badwolf1234

Dogasu said:
Q: What is the mayor's secret about Zeraora?
A: The secret basically boils down to the fact that Zeraora is still alive. Fifty years ago the local government decided to tell the townspeople that Zeraora had died in a big fire and that its ghost was haunting a nearby forest so they wouldn't all swarm into the forest to try to get it for themselves.
Zeraora thinks that humans are selfish until the protagonists change his mind.

@Blast what is Zeraora's lore? That is the one thing I wanna know about
Not much about its origins is revealed. Before the events of the story, I forgot how many years but it was somewhere between 10 and 50, Zeraora saved many Pokémon during a big fire in the forest. However, due to this its existence became known throughout the city and many people came to forest looking to catch Zeraora, disturbing its nature and Pokémon. In turn, Zeraora came to resent humans. The news that Zeraora had died was spread around when no one could find it, and a myth about a curse of Zeraora's ghost prevented most people from entering the forest after that.

Not much about its origins is revealed. Before the events of the story, I forgot how many years but it was somewhere between 10 and 50, Zeraora saved many Pokémon during a big fire in the forest. However, due to this its existence became known throughout the city and many people came to forest looking to catch Zeraora, disturbing its nature and Pokémon. In turn, Zeraora came to resent humans. The news that Zeraora had died was spread around when no one could find it, and a myth about a curse of Zeraora's ghost prevented most people from entering the forest after that.
Is the movie worth watching?

@Blast

Dogasu said that the lie was about Zeraora dying in a fire, but you're saying that it became known due to saving Pokemon from a fire. Were there two fires? Three with the climax...

Is the movie worth watching?
I think so, but I don't know if you will think so. Give it a watch and find out :D
Dogasu said that the lie was about Zeraora dying in a fire, but you're saying that it became known due to saving Pokemon from a fire. Were there two fires? Three with the climax...
There was one fire in the past. I think Zeraora came into the limelight for rescuing the Pokémon, though after the fire had subsided and the people looking for Zeraora couldn't find it anymore, it was believed it had died for lack of a better explanation. Since Zeraora had come to resent humans, it was also dangerous for humans to enter the forest, which is why the curse of Zeraora was made up. The whole situation about Zeraora became sort of a taboo. For example, Largo's dad, the mayor, gets mad at Largo when she mentions Zeraora might still be alive in the forest. This is what I've gathered. Honestly it wasn't explained to clearly for me.

1. Ash travels to a new city with a connection to a Legendary Pokémon, he befriends the people there, then trouble arises and they all work together to save the city from peril.
2. This is difficult question explain, because it would require me to basically summarize the entire movie in detail. Kagachi lies and cheats all the time to impress his niece Lily. Risa used to be a star at atheletics, but has suffered an injury and has become afraid of running. Torito is bad communicating with others and is very shy, which gets him into trouble with his coworkers. Due to the tragic loss of her Snubbull in the past, Hisui has become a bitter person who resents Pokémon. Largo sabotages the city's power source in order to draw attention away from Zeraora, who is being hunted by humans. Everyone's problem are resolved throughout the story in some way or another, with their Pokémon and Ash helping them to gather their courage.
3. Yeah, Zeraora stay in the forest for the entire movie.
4. I don't know what you mean by something special, but it helps moving fallen objects with its psychic powers.
Hm. So, is Ash basically a deluxe side character while the real focus are the six characters? Can I ask what is his role? Is he there only to support the other characters, or is he doing something relevant?

Also, did the credits show the characters' problems solved? Did Lisa give eevee to her brother?

Last edited:
From everything we've heard so far, this movie sounds more interesting that the usual stuff churned out each year!!

I have one question: how does the TRio interact with Satoshi? Do they appear to have met before or is this treated as a first meeting?

I have to agree. It sounds like the first movie I'll enjoy watching since 2005, and I guess I have Yajima to thank for that even though XY was a dud for me. Or maybe it's the two new scriptwriters above all.

Hopefully next year's movie will somehow inject the approach of this movie into the first one to create something new that doesn't go down as a poor imitation. I think that using Dr. Fuji and Amber is key to that, rather than just replacing Mew with a new legendary.

Last edited:
I have one question: how does the TRio interact with Satoshi? Do they appear to have met before or is this treated as a first meeting?

In their first scene in the movie they refer to him as Jaari Boy. Later, when they're at Torito's lab stealing whatever they can get their hands on, Satoshi calls them out by name and starts to chase after them. Pikachu attacks them to stop them in their tracks but Musashi's Sonansu uses Counter (or some similar attack) to deflect it. They use the smoke caused by the explosion to get away.

Hm. So, is Ash basically a deluxe side character while the real focus are the six characters? Can I ask what is his role? Is he there only to support the other characters, or is he doing something relevant?

Also, did the credits show the characters' problems solved? Did Lisa give eevee to her brother?
Indeed it felt like Ash was just there to help the other main characters out, even if he did have some moments in the spotlight. For example, he saves a rampaging Tyranitar who is getting choked by ropes around its neck during the catching contest and later on he takes Zeraora on all by himself to help Largo. Ash was really badass in this movie in general, none of the usual goofiness we expect from him.

ThoughI didn't stick around for the entire credits, as far as I know Risa kept the Eevee for herself.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom