• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M21: The Power of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is according to Anime News Network's latest Answerman column:
Justin Sevakis said:
And for the record, now that anime isn't commonly hacked up for American TV very often anymore, this very seldom occurs these days. It's slowly dying out. For example, the English-language version of the most recent Pokémon film - Pokémon: The Power of Us - uses the complete original Japanese score.
What do you think, everyone? Is this possible, or is Sevakis mistaken?

So this umm... Intresting.

Looks like your usual Answerman column but theeennn ya get to the part where they quickly mention the dub for the latest Pokemon film.
Answerman - Why Do Edited for TV Dubs Change An Anime's Music?

"For example, the English-language version of the most recent Pokémon film - Pokémon: The Power of Us - uses the complete original Japanese score."

No nooo, that can't be right. This isn't the TPCI that I know of, next thing you'll know they'll ask someone like NYAV Post to take over dubbing duties and get more ADR script writers. :ROFLMAO:
Is such a thing even possible? Can we email Justin Sevakis and find out?

Dogasu asked ANN on Twitter and got this answer from Justin Sevakis:

I'm astounded.

That's what I call good news.

My guess is that it was too expensive to replace the music, because of two factors:

1) As nowadays the movies live on their own universe, they can't reuse the series' score so easily.
2) As this movie isn't nostalgia-based, there was less interest from the distributors and thus less budget for the adaptation.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Season 22 or the next series.

That's what I call good news.

My guess is that it was too expensive to replace the music, because of two factors:

1) As nowadays the movies live on their own universe, they can't reuse the series' score so easily.
2) As this movie isn't nostalgia-based, there was less interest from the distributors and thus less budget for the adaptation.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Season 22 or the next series.

I have no proof whatsoever but I'd like to think that many fans particularly weren't happy with the dub score from the previous movie since all of the rearranged tracks from the original series, as well as nearly all the tracks from the original game, were left out. I hate to judge but it's pretty clear that they're not replacing the music because they think they can do better. If so they're quite wrong.

Well, that's unexpected. Did Shopro finally noticed how much money they doesn't get because of 4Kids and TPCi's dubbing practices?

Last edited:
Ok, that's that: I'm booking my tickets!

Really looking forward to watching this in the cinema, wonder what Pokemon speak as I always look forward to finding out who voiced them, wonder who voices Totodile now Kayzie has left

With the english dub out in Singapore, looking forward to seeing the actor lists when someone who's seen it gets the chance

I'll admit it, I bought tickets as soon as I heard the Miyazaki score was confirmed to be kept in.

It'd be nice if this reflected a general shift in policy at Pokemon Company (i.e. it applied to the TV series as well), though someone on Twitter mentioned they asked TPCI about it and they trotted out the usual "all about them royalties, brother" line, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom