• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M21: The Power of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited for this!! I enjoyed watching I choose you in theaters and I'll be more glad to do it again for the next one. Also, love the logo is looks so CLEAN especially compared to M20's one. November couldn't come soon enough and the Let's go games are also coming that same month too! Holy Christ:D

The trailer was actually pretty promising! I really wasn't interested in I Choose You last year so chose not to see it in theaters. I ended up just watching it on Disney XD and absolutely hated it so made the right call there.

This one, though, is kind of intriguing me. I'm really big on the human characters within the anime, and this movie really seems to focus on them, which is pretty cool. Not exactly sure how I feel about these characters just yet, but they already seem much more interesting than the characters from I Choose You and the premise of the movie is piquing my interest as well. The title definitely threw me, but not necessarily in a negative way. I get that they're referencing the second movie title. I just think I like the Japanese title better.

I think I might try to catch this one in theaters. Haven't seen a Pokémon movie in theaters since the special showing of the Victini movie, so it could be nice since I'm actually interested in this one.

@Shift Whoever is voicing dubbed Eevee also voiced Ilima's Eevee in the SM dub

As for voice roles, Sarah Natochenny confirmed she is reprising her very first Pokemon role, Chansey!
Bill Rogers most likely returns for Sudowoodo.
As for a lot of the other Pokemon like Eevee, Smoochum, and Marill, they all are going to get new VAs due to Kayzie Roger's retiring

On the title of this Movie, I saw someone suggest this elsewhere, but TPCi could've called it "The Power of Everyone" if they really had to change the title: still almost as corny as "The Power of Us" but sounds a bit more natural in comparison imo.

Really, why they couldn't keep the Japanese title is beyond me, Dogasu again (I'm shocked I agree so much with him for once, I've never agreed this much with him on the dub since 2011) pointed out this is misleading in terms of causing people to think this is a Movie 2 remake when it's definitely not.

Last edited:
I don't watch the current dub anymore so I don't know if this is the norm or what but good God does this sound like garbage.

Lisa sounds like a middle aged woman instead of a high school student.
Kagachi is just fucking atrocious.
Hisui is obviously a woman in her 20s / 30s putting on a cartoony "old woman voice"
Largo's voice is about 10 years too old.

Torito is literally the only character in this who doesn't sound like a complete disaster.

Like, I know this is an early trailer and all and the final product will probably (?) be better. But holy shit is this a terrible first impression.
In Hisui's case sometimes I wished the anime would branch out into other VA territories: Barbara Goodson would have been perfect for the role since she's done old woman voices before.

Still nothing can beat out having bloody Goku's VA in the Japanese version.
Masako Nozawa's too good for this world.

I like the title. Not only it's a callback to the Lugia movie, it's also make a counter-point to that movie's "choosen one" theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Shift As for a lot of the other Pokemon like Eevee, Smoochum, and Marill, they all are going to get new VAs due to Kayzie Roger's retiring
Kayzie Rogers retiring is one of the worst things to ever happen to the dub. Totodile and Marill will never sound the same without her. It seems they’ve given all of her old roles to Erica Schroeder, who, in my opinion, has done a horrendous job. Whoever they get to replace those characters, I really, really hope it’s not Erica Schroeder.

Kayzie Rogers retiring is one of the worst things to ever happen to the dub. Totodile and Marill will never sound the same without her. It seems they’ve given all of her old roles to Erica Schroeder, who, in my opinion, has done a horrendous job. Whoever they get to replace those characters, I really, really hope it’s not Erica Schroeder.

I'm really curious to hear how Totodile will sound like. Its my favorite Gen 2 starter, and I always liked how Kayzie Rogers made it sound. Hopefully its new VA doesn't ruin it. I like Erica Schroeder, but I'm not happy with the way she is handling Wobuffet. I don't know if she also voices Mr. Mime, but that one sounds a bit better.

Last edited:
In Hisui's case sometimes I wished the anime would branch out into other VA territories: Barbara Goodson would have been perfect for the role since she's done old woman voices before.
They would need to produce the dub in LA ala Origins/Generations if that were to occur these days (though Generations had pretty weak vocal direction & script work, I'd say it's still slightly better in those regards than what DuArt has been doing for the last few years with the main Series dub here).

However, TPCi loves producing the dub at DuArt for the main Series (likely because it's where they can generate the most royalties at the lowest possible budget) so I'm doubtful we'll ever see that outside random FUNimation VA cameos here and there as per standard of practice with them- Barbara Goodson sounds way out of DuArt's payroll to me, especially these days.

Regarding the dub of the actual Movie itself, I hope to God that Ed Goldfarb doesn't just remix the Pokemon Theme for the millionth time for the intro and tries something new, but then again, the alternative in the lifeless, abysmal Under the Alolan Moon wouldn't fit either nor do I think he'd ever do a longer version of that since it'd make no sense for an AU universe movie: I'm expecting Gopal and McNair to keep like 4-5 pieces of Japanese music out of the 51 we know are present originally, at most, at least probably just 1-2 like the Main Theme near the end and maybe a TR theme. The acting, Dogasu summed it up, writing wise I know Mr. Cathcart will be rewriting some stuff for sure (he couldn't here only because it's a trailer).

Despite my disdain towards these last few movies, I have to say that I really like the dub title here. A callback and a reversal in one package.

Watch them replace the Japanese Lugia theme in the movie's American theatrical release with the 4Kids' version for ~nostalgia~.

The Power of Us has a new 30 second trailer. No new footage, but note the Japanese music though ;3

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NdX8ETPKzQ

Don’t get too excited. Remember how they left in all the music for the sneak peek airings of Sun and Moon, only to replace it once they aired for real? The same thing will probably happen here. Most likely, they haven’t composed the dub music yet.

Watch them replace the Japanese Lugia theme in the movie's American theatrical release with the 4Kids' version for ~nostalgia~.

In all seriousness, I'd love that, that music is indeed a part of my childhood. However, If I had to choose between all-Japanese music and all-american music (with The Legend Comes to Life included) I'd choose all-Japanese, as after I Choose You's meh score I don't want to run any risks.

No news as yet regarding UK cinema releases, hope a nearby cinema will be releasing the movie

Just booked myself a VIP seat at Portsmouth Vue Cinema for the 12:00 GMT performance on the 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom