• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M21: The Power of Us

Even if I want to see it, the problem is that my mom is having knee surgery on Friday, and chances are I may have to sacrifice seeing it in theaters to take care of her, and will have to wait until it gets a digital release on iTunes so I can rent it.

Well, kinda.

I’ll start off with what I think was the best part of the movie: the art style. Even though I’m not a big fan of how Ash looks here, the rest of the movie makes up for it. Everything seems so bright and colorful and fresh, kinda like the SM anime (with a higher quality).

Everything else kinda goes down from here. The dub, while decent, does seem to have a few awkward mistranslations, and I noticed that Tyranitar says it’s Japanese name while Ash helps it up.

The plot is okay, just don’t expect it to make you emotionally attached to the characters. Both characters and plot are actually kinda forgettable, I’ve just watched The Power Of Us yesterday and I think I may have forgotten some parts of the plot (and some characters).

The entire main cast, apart from Ash, aren’t really interesting, all they’ve got is some kind of personality gimmick(?). Sure, they do have their backstories, but those aren’t memorable either. Team Rocket does practically nothing (other than unintentionally Effect Sporing the entire town). Zeraora is the typical “legendary/mythical that hates humans at first but then Ash and co. somehow change its mind later on”. At least it gave us one sweet-ass battle.

Screw the ending theme, I was hoping for Breath to show up, not that crappy song that kept repeating “the power of us” every ten seconds (and subsequently got me to drag my brother out the cinema within the first minute of credits). The soundtrack was okay, maybe? I’ve forgotten already.

I think what really ruined the movie for me was how I kept noticing everything illogical that happened (E.g: “That huge cloud is definitely not from one small bottle of Effect Spore.” “Same for that Lum Berry chemical.” “How is Ash still alive, again?”).

Overall, I’d rate it 6/10. It’s not a great movie and it’s not an absolutely atrocious one, but it’s painfully average enough to leave me disappointed. Granted, my brother kept disturbing me throughout the entire movie and I took the entire thing with a grain of salt, so maybe that’s why my opinion seems pretty negative.

I'm going to see it on December 1st, the last showing in Las Vegas. I get paid the day before so I won't be broke.

I'm excited. I haven't been this excited in a while to see a Pokemon movie. Meanwhile, tomorrow, I'll be going to see a BTS movie.

Just watched it today in Vietnam and it is too tiresome enjoy. Too many characters, too much crying from them. That rococo Lisa girl still looks like a badly disguised Jessie to me. There is no solid villain of any kind here, and I wish they have made those poachers better villains. I would rate it 6/10.

Question:
Who sabotaged the festival? Was it the poachers?

Last edited:
And is that Kayzie Rogers back as Sunflora?

I was thinking the same thing! Although it's unlikely to happen. It would be nice to see her return for at least this one time in this movie, since she voiced a lot of the Johto Pokemon that will be appearing. I am not looking forward to hearing how they ruin Totodile.

Didn't she only steal the beacon to heal Zeraora? Putting rocks around the city and breaking the electricity system seem to be too big for a little girl to do.

...how? The rocks aren't all that big (she could carry them in her little hand bag pretty easily) and breaking the electricity system is just a matter of cutting a few wires. Pouring soapy water into a fountain isn't all that tough either. I'd say this is exactly the kind of low-grade mischief a girl her age could believably do.

Besides that, what motive would the poachers have for disrupting the festival?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom