• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, it would make more sense for TPCi to choose theaters over Netflix if given the choice. I just can't see Netflix bidding on this to keep it from theaters considering how they don't even bother keeping older seasons of Pokémon on the service. I think it's more likely there was a theatrical run planned early on, but it eventually fell through, and Netflix came in to save the day.

Maybe the book is referring to Movie 1 being in theaters?

They still have the first season on. Have they ever gone past that, except for recent seasons?
Just season 2 during a few months in 2015.
I wonder if they're going to include the subtitled versions since that's how it had it's world premiere at AX.
Netflix works with its own "subtitlers" all the time, it's probably better to use one of those than to pay royalties to the people from the event. On a related note, I wouldn't have hope that their release would include the Japanese version as the deal doesn't even include Japan.

That's quite interesting. I watched the raw version because there were no subtitles for a while, so I'll be glad to check out this version even if it's influenced by the dub somewhat (admittedly, a few lines are better in the dub).

...I probably won't really, 100% believe it's actually happening until I'm actually watching it with my own two eyes.
It makes sense, given we already know they have a subtitle script for it, assuming they'd just use the same one from that Anime Expo screening (complete with dub names so as not to confuse the kiddies, or whatever reason TPCI would use to justify changing them for the subtitle track).

However, it also makes too much sense, so they probably won't do it.

So the trailer has Japanese audio as well as Japanese subtitles--it seems said subtitles are based on the English dub script, since they don't match the Japanese dialogue. The English captions match the English dub dialogue (obviously) so I don't expect there to be any English subtitles that are "closer" to the Japanese version.

EDIT: After checking the Arabic/Czech/Danish/German/Greek/European Spanish/Latin American Spanish/Finnish/French/Hebrew/Hungarian/Indonesian/Italian/Norwegian/Dutch/Polish/Brazilian Portuguese/European Portuguese/Romanian/Russian/Swedish/Thai/Turkish/Vietnamese dubs/subtitles, it's fairly obvious that all of the subtitles were translated from English separately from the dubs. So there's basically zero chance of alternate English subs.

Last edited:
Is that what not the Japan Expo subtitles were? Based on the dub, yet more faithful than the 4Kids script?

From what we've heard from the people who went, yes. But the subtitles in the Netflix trailer, at the very least, are 100% word-for-word the same as the English dub dialogue. That's not the same thing as being based off the Japanese dialogue the way (we presumed) the Anime Expo subs were.

Hmm. That sounds like the English subtitles in some Japanese DVD you talked about once.

I'm interested to see the new script, but I can't really stand some of the English voices or music. So this is still interesting.

...and meanwhile people in Japan are like "wait, why is Pokémon GO celebrating a movie that came out nearly a year ago?" lol

Last edited:
Is that Pokemon GO event the only notable promo that this film is getting? Because outside of this forum and fan!Twitter, I've seen absolutely no promotional material for the dub of this movie at all which is sorta worrying since I thought for sure that this movie would be marketed alot more since it's the remake of a classic (by Pokemon standards).

Netflix largely just releases trailers and relies on word of mouth. It often works.

The Go event is bigger than anything done for previous movies in quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom