• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw man, that's disappointing news. A friend and I went to see Everyone's Story in theaters last year and we had a blast. Having grown up with the original movie, we were really looking forward to catching this one in theaters.

I'm.not too surprised. This movie had two issues with it;

1) It's a re-telling of a movie most of the fanbase has already seen.

2) It's taking characters mostly known in 2D and bringing them into a 3D landscape.

Yeah, we had Detective Pikachu bring success but that had Warner Bros, Legendary, and Ryan Reynolds behind it, as well as new characters and a story never told before. I'm not too familiar with how well this movie did in Japan (perhaps Dogasu could give us an idea on how well it did compared to previous installments), but repeating whatever their success was overseas was far from a guarantee.

I definitely feel for the fans who wanted to see this in theaters, but I'm not entirely shocked this will likely be a television premiere or straight to DVD/Blu-ray. Hell, maybe this will be a Disney+ premiere, that streaming service is launching in November.

I’d forgotten all about this Movie until I saw this thread.

Yeah, we had Detective Pikachu bring success but that had Warner Bros, Legendary, and Ryan Reynolds behind it, as well as new characters and a story never told before. I'm not too familiar with how well this movie did in Japan (perhaps Dogasu could give us an idea on how well it did compared to previous installments), but repeating whatever their success was overseas was far from a guarantee.

The most recent box office information we have is that Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution earned 2.7 billion yen in seven weeks which is pretty much exactly how well both Pokémon Detective Pikachu and Pocket Monsters The Movie "Everyone's Story" did over here in Japan. Movie 22 also had way tougher competition than its predecessors.

I might get to see it on the big screen afterall. In the years prior to Fathom Events releasing them they were shown in Australasia at Hoyts. When Fathom Events took over I was no longer able to go to them because they don't have an outlet in my city, but Hoyts does, so assuming Hoyts takes the movies back I could be in luck. I would rather have had Everyone's Story showing in my city but I'll take it.

I'm just glad we're getting a dub of M01 that doesn't completely butcher the original intent of the first movie, just like how Everyone's Story corrected the dub's butchering of the second movie

"The Power of One" and "The Power of Us" have almost nothing in common, what are you talking about?

This movie is given so less attention I honestly forgot about it. The story isn't wow and the animation isn't what I personally like. I don't know if the dub will make or better.

There's no reason why this movie wouldn't do at least as well as the previous one did, if given the chance. I'm personally waiting for the Japanese home release and for someone to adjust the current subtitles within a reasonable timeframe (a few days).

Everyone helping to save the day instead of lumping it all on one "Chosen One"
Let's just say that the stakes were way different between the two movies. You might as well compare both to any number of movies and anime plots.

I don't recall Movie 21 discussing the recklessness of being a lone hero. That was a key theme in the original Movie 2 (Ash nearly dying and Delia scolding him for it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom