• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, but M22 will not be airing in December
Next thing you'll know, they'll pull a Stand By Me Doraemon and just not release the dub at all in the US... or they'll pull a Marvel Disk Wars and release it in some place like Malaysia and keep it exclusive there...
so they can save us all from the horrors that is this film.
:wynaut:

Strange that they're not airing the dub in 2019

Maybe they'll release it towards the end of Sun and Moon, I seem to recall M13 came out the same day Diamond and Pearl ended

This is a massive bummer tbh. I'm hardly a dub enthusiast, but getting to watch the last couple in the cinema with other Pokemon fans who were close enough to touch was special, and I expected this to be even more special because it is a redux of Movie 1.

The strangest part is that we know the dub was in production since June! What are they playing at.

Still not giving up on an announcement. As a Dub fan, I refuse to think they just let the thing go or because of something. At best I can see 3 things happening: 1. Giving this a theater release, then putting it on Disney+, 2. Just straight up be a plus original movie or, 3. Theater release then putting on TV, and eventually on the plus service.

So the TCG Tin Set came out 3 days ago and since the year is almost over with no news on what happened with it's release, I just want to say that the PR for this movie has been a nightmare. Honestly, I'm a big TPCi shill but like, what happened?

Was there an original plan for this movie that just didn't go through. My theory it was rights issues with the script that might be holding them back, because Korea hasn't announced the movie either.

The only other idea is that they could be waiting to put it with PM001, since both feature Mew.
View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1101271551209435136

It must be a distribution thing going on. They probably already have the movie dubbed, but are waiting for next year to possibly give this a big theatrical release similar to Detective Pikachu? Though it might also be because of the new anime series airing in Japan, they'll want time to show off the movie by then.

From the reviews/comments that came out of the Anime Expo in July, the English Subtitles used some of the key dialogue from the 4Kids version of the original film. Given that the people who wrote that dialogue won't have worked on Pokemon for over a decade I wonder if this might have posed any legal or contractual issues.

From the reviews/comments that came out of the Anime Expo in July, the English Subtitles used some of the key dialogue from the 4Kids version of the original film. Given that the people who wrote that dialogue won't have worked on Pokemon for over a decade I wonder if this might have posed any legal or contractual issues.
Any and all key dialogue pieces that may have been trademarked by 4Kids for the dub of Movie 1 should have been absorbed by TPCi when they took over distribution. I get movie rights may be different than the rights for the tv seasons, but TPCi managed to re-release the first three movies twice without issue.

If the movie didn't get shelved during production, which is my belief at this point, maybe the plan is to release is straight to DVD and Blu-ray for English. Since it's just a 3D adaption for Movie 1, perhaps there was concern it wouldn't perform as well in theaters as compared to the previous movies which told new stories. I'm no box office expert, but I don't think the success this movie had in Japanese theaters would necessarily carry over internationally, especially when it's just a re-telling.

Since Movie 17, new Pokémon movies usually release onto DVD in the first few months of the year, specifically February - April. If we haven't seen a release of some kind by then, that's when I'll be convinced it's never happening.

Well, the movie will not have a theatrical realease in my country and doubtfully will have a DVD launch. Maybe, in a year, I can watch it on cartoon network. Nevertheless, i will just torrent the movie.

If the movie didn't get shelved during production, which is my belief at this point, maybe the plan is to release is straight to DVD and Blu-ray for English. Since it's just a 3D adaption for Movie 1, perhaps there was concern it wouldn't perform as well in theaters as compared to the previous movies which told new stories. I'm no box office expert, but I don't think the success this movie had in Japanese theaters would necessarily carry over internationally, especially when it's just a re-telling.

Since Movie 17, new Pokémon movies usually release onto DVD in the first few months of the year, specifically February - April. If we haven't seen a release of some kind by then, that's when I'll be convinced it's never happening.

I really can't see that being the reason as to why they wouldn't put the movie in theaters. We've gotten plenty of remakes over the past few years, some of which are just re-telling the original movies with more advanced visuals, and most of them tend to do pretty well financially. That's a big reason why Disney keeps pushing out remake after remake. A CGI retelling of the first Pokemon movie wouldn't make Disney money, but I think that the premise would be enough to attract both long time fans and people who are nostalgic for the original series. It would attract even more attention if they released it on or around the anniversary of the first movie's U.S. release. I just really don't think that they were worried about the movie not doing well just because it's a re-telling.

I really can't see that being the reason as to why they wouldn't put the movie in theaters. We've gotten plenty of remakes over the past few years, some of which are just re-telling the original movies with more advanced visuals, and most of them tend to do pretty well financially. That's a big reason why Disney keeps pushing out remake after remake. A CGI retelling of the first Pokemon movie wouldn't make Disney money, but I think that the premise would be enough to attract both long time fans and people who are nostalgic for the original series. It would attract even more attention if they released it on or around the anniversary of the first movie's U.S. release. I just really don't think that they were worried about the movie not doing well just because it's a re-telling.
The difference there is all these live-action remakes Disney produces succeed in it's home country because the original movies also succeeded here. It literally takes a lot of mess ups (Like Solo: A Star Wars Story) for Disney to lose money on something. Pokémon on the other hand...

It's far from a failure, it's the most profitable franchise for a reason, but it's hay day from the 90's has long been over. You don't see commercial on television for the Pokémon movies that come to theaters or receive movie soundtracks to purchase physically. To compare Pokémon's success in animation to Disney is far from fair since Pokémon's leading position in profits is because if all it's assets; TCG, video games, manga, etc.

TPCi had the perfect opportunity to release this on Movie 1's release date anniversary, but didn't. They could have released this right before the launch of Sword & Shield, but didn't. If production started on this so long ago, I can't understand why it wouldn't get a theater release of some kind before Christmas for any other reason aside from their hesitation to have it bomb. It is no secret Sword & Shield had it's controversy, maybe they wanted to avoid another reason for people to drag their name through the dirt, I dunno.

I'm just saying, it's one thing when Disney remakes it's animated classics into live-action and/or CGI, but that doesn't automatically mean the same would have happened with Movie 22. From my standpoint anyway, I would be hesitant to gamble on a CGI remake of the first movie that would have a different cast (may re-ignite the VA recasting debate), different music (Goldfarb would not only be compared to Movie 22's score but the scores of the original movie as well), and presented in a way Pokémon movies have never looked before; full CGI. But that's just me, I'm more than willing to give this movie a try but I will not be shocked or surprised if TPCi chooses to skip this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom