• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those blaming TPCi for the lack of release/information, by this point in past years we would have had information on Asian releases in places like South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam (and it'd probably be in theaters already for some of these places). But we have zero announcements or news in these places either. It's looking increasingly likely that there's some holdup from The Pokémon Company in Japan for some reason.

The difference there is all these live-action remakes Disney produces succeed in it's home country because the original movies also succeeded here. It literally takes a lot of mess ups (Like Solo: A Star Wars Story) for Disney to lose money on something. Pokémon on the other hand...

It's far from a failure, it's the most profitable franchise for a reason, but it's hay day from the 90's has long been over. You don't see commercial on television for the Pokémon movies that come to theaters or receive movie soundtracks to purchase physically. To compare Pokémon's success in animation to Disney is far from fair since Pokémon's leading position in profits is because if all it's assets; TCG, video games, manga, etc.

I did say that the movie wouldn't make Disney money. I was just using Disney remakes as a example as to why I don't think that they'd be afraid to release the movie in theaters, especially when this would be given a limited release in theaters anyway. Besides that, the first Pokemon movie was a major success in the U.S. too. Granted, that was at the peak of the anime's popularity, but if any remake of any of the previous movies would have a chance of doing well in the U.S., it would be the first movie. It's true that they don't put commercials out for the movies' limited theater releases, but I'm also pretty sure soundtracks aren't promoted anymore to be physically purchased in general.

Momentum said:
TPCi had the perfect opportunity to release this on Movie 1's release date anniversary, but didn't. They could have released this right before the launch of Sword & Shield, but didn't. If production started on this so long ago, I can't understand why it wouldn't get a theater release of some kind before Christmas for any other reason aside from their hesitation to have it bomb. It is no secret Sword & Shield had it's controversy, maybe they wanted to avoid another reason for people to drag their name through the dirt, I dunno.

I'm just saying, it's one thing when Disney remakes it's animated classics into live-action and/or CGI, but that doesn't automatically mean the same would have happened with Movie 22. From my standpoint anyway, I would be hesitant to gamble on a CGI remake of the first movie that would have a different cast (may re-ignite the VA recasting debate), different music (Goldfarb would not only be compared to Movie 22's score but the scores of the original movie as well), and presented in a way Pokémon movies have never looked before; full CGI. But that's just me, I'm more than willing to give this movie a try but I will not be shocked or surprised if TPCi chooses to skip this movie.

I really doubt that the controversy with Sword/Shield had any impact on the movie's release. I doubt that they thought that the movie would drag the Pokemon brand through the dirt, especially when the games sold like hotcakes despite the intense online backlash. I also really don't think that they'd care about the whole voice actor recasting debate. While people wanted Veronica Taylor to reprise the role for I Choose You, as well as for Eric Stuart and Rachael Lillis to reprise their roles for Misty and Brock's SM appearances, having them voiced by different actors didn't lead to a huge backlash. That might not be on the same level as a remake to the first movie, but I just don't think that they'd care about how older fans feel about the voice actor change, especially when that happened well over a decade ago at this point. I'm not sure if that many people would care about the music, at least within the general audience or people who aren't as familiar with the original score. Now a full CGI remake might be a bit of a risk, mainly for the human characters, but I don't think that would be enough to hesitant putting the movie in theaters. Pokemon with CGI designs isn't that strange due to the TCG commercials either.

At this point, I think it's more likely that there is some legal issue or possibly some distribution problem that prevented them from getting the movie out this year.

I doubt the casual fans the movie would draw in due to nostalgia would hold that strong opinions about the Voice Recast, music score and Dexit, though.
I think you might be surprised about the VA issue. True casuals i.e. kids and their reluctant parents wouldn't care and true Pokeani weirdos (read: us) are long since over it.

But there is a significant minority of adult fans for whom the original English dub was their childhood, who don't really watch the anime anymore, but still turn up as paying customers to special events like orchestral concerts, PokeCen events and theatrical releases. I was surprised (and a little amused
I really enjoy turning up to these events in tow with a friend of mine who considers herself a Pokemon expert (she ain't), acting like a total Pokemon no0b and people watching as a bunch of beardy 20-30 somethings Genwunsplain the Pokemon anime to me lol, does that make me evil?
) at the amount of bitching about 'New' Ash/Team Rocket I had to listen to when I went to I Choose You/Power of Us.

I think you might be surprised about the VA issue. True casuals i.e. kids and their reluctant parents wouldn't care and true Pokeani weirdos (read: us) are long since over it.

But there is a significant minority of adult fans for whom the original English dub was their childhood, who don't really watch the anime anymore, but still turn up as paying customers to special events like orchestral concerts, PokeCen events and theatrical releases. I was surprised (and a little amused
I really enjoy turning up to these events in tow with a friend of mine who considers herself a Pokemon expert (she ain't), acting like a total Pokemon no0b and people watching as a bunch of beardy 20-30 somethings Genwunsplain the Pokemon anime to me lol, does that make me evil?
) at the amount of bitching about 'New' Ash/Team Rocket I had to listen to when I went to I Choose You/Power of Us.
I guess... I wasn’t around the Pokémon fandom when the switch happened, but I do know it led to chaos and people could hold strong opinions about that, and there’s also the people too picky about VAs (I remember similar issues surfacing about the Lion King live action when the trailer came out).
But I don’t think the group would be significant enough to put a dent in the sales of the movie or warrant cancelling the release.

But I don’t think the group would be significant enough to put a dent in the sales of the movie or warrant cancelling the release.
Yeah agree on this, sorry I was clear I got a bit carried away with my reminiscence :p

WPM of Pokebeach did say that they had to go through hoops to get the M22 script from Shudo's family estate, and that's also why M16 had a female Mewtwo
Perhaps that is causing trouble on international fronts too. I'm guessing TPCi dubbed the movie in advance
The original script has already been taken care of. 4Kids could only have the rights to the English script, but that's easy to replace (like the music) even if some iconic lines are left out. Judging from Anime Expo, they actually kept a lot of the lines for the subtitles, so I don't see why the actual dub wouldn't be allowed to use that script.

Can't say that the international handling of this movie bothers me. Maybe if this were a completely original movie I would feel sympathetic, but like if you really want to see this movie that badly then you can at least settle for watching the original first movie instead. I don't think that the CGI in this reboot of that film is enough of a selling point anyways. :sleep:

It's weird that some people can't understand the significance of a more faithful dub, even if they just watch the Japanese source (as I do). And newsflash: Kids like CGI.

Soooooo...

somebody in the Netherlands found this.

View: https://twitter.com/nlscavenger/status/1203375281349767168?s=21

Why... it's Mewtwo and that controversial Dragon Quest CG movie.

"Well yes of course it's Mewtwo and that Dragon Quest movie? Why are you taking about it you nana?" you ask.

Well, look down at the bottom on the image because you may have noticed it says Netflix.
So apparently it seems as if TPCI might be having a duvet day with this one, and not a regular one either and potentially making this a Netflix exclusive rather than giving it to Disney to put on their XD channel or Disney+ service or even just releasing it onto DVD/Blu-Ray.

And to top that off, most of these Netflix anime exclusives barely get any sort of home media release of any kind so there's another possible chance that it might not even get a DVD or Blu-Ray release either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom