• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hulu would be a better bet. Hulu is owned by Disney but is for other properties

Hulu would absolutely NOT be better. Hulu is limited to only America and some parts of the world and it's reach and popularity is far below Netflix. Pokemon moving to Netflix would be the best thing for the anime. Disney Plus would be the second best option, however, I don't think Disney will allow anime on there.

So we can pretty much rule out a holiday premiere in North America. I think their best choice now is to air it between the Season 22 finale and the Season 23 premiere. Using it as a lead in for the Season 23 premiere could help ratings, for what it's worth, and help to make it feel more like a special event. It's debatable how important ratings are to a toyetic series like Pokémon but I doubt TPCi would be disappointed with a number boost from the movie.

So we can pretty much rule out a holiday premiere in North America.

Well yeah. It's like I said before, airing this movie during the holiday period would've been a bad decision since most people have better things to do during the holidays than sit home and watch Pokemon, what with people entertaining guests and traveling and all that good stuff. So the odds of a holiday season premiere were always gonna be low imo.

Decided to ask Lisa Ortiz if she had any idea when the Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution will be available to watch

''when I do I will let you know.''

So a whole lot of nothing from her. She might as well have not replied at all. :sleep:

Decided to ask Lisa Ortiz if she had any idea when the Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution will be available to watch

''when I do I will let you know.''
That makes me think that there is indeed something going on behind the scenes that's stopping it from coming out if even she has no idea when it's coming out.

EMgGzh9XkAA1-Fu.jpg

There's nothing to hate about this movie compared to the original - if anything, it's better, because with 3D models, there's a weight to the characters that wasn't there in the original, so when they get hit and thrown around, it's far more brutal

Also, during the Tears of Life scene, the only audio you can hear is Pikachu calling for Ash, which after never hearing it say "Pikapi" in the anime for three years, was absolutely heartbreaking

EMf3l-7XkAIV796.jpg

Ambertwo was only added in the Japanese remastered release (and a bonus feature in the international Mewtwo Returns DVD). She was never in the theatrical release or important to the story.

Ambertwo was only added in the Japanese remastered release (and a bonus feature in the international Mewtwo Returns DVD). She was never in the theatrical release or important to the story.
So was the scene where they find the Mew fossil, but they put that in the new one. If they're going to add that they should have added Ambertwo as well. That and the whole Ambertwo sequence is my favourite part of the original movie, to see it not there for the remake is a substantial disappointment.

At the same time, Mewtwo Returns also added a lot to the story and no one expected that to be included. It's less than ideal, but the source material still exists; it's kids who are losing out, rather than the older fans. If I'm being honest, the CGI wouldn't have been a great fit for dialogue-heavy scenes.

I do find it weird that the Movie 16 DVD got a special edition with Movie 1, Mewtwo Returns and the Viridian gym episode incldued... for no real good reason (they shamelessly tried to connect the two movies). This time it would have made sense and they opted against it, possibly because that DVD bundle is only 6 years old.

Last edited:
Not sure if I should laugh, but YTV is randomly airing the first Pokémon movie on the 10th. Considering how Teletoon is the Canadian channel that now handles Pokémon, it's strange to see YTV airing the first movie out of the blue like this. And of all the movies to choose from, they pick that one.

I'm setting a recording in the off-chance this is actually Movie 22 and it was given the wrong title on the schedule, but I'm not hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom