• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M22: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

Reaction score
100% BGM retained. Hope everyone has a happy Thursday!!

Cast list:
Sarah Natochenny
Dan Green
Bill Rogers
Michele Knotz
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Rodger Parsons

Justin Anselmi
Sam Black
Carter Cathcart
Emily Jenness
Eddy Lee
Ted Lewis
Suzy Myers
Lisa Ortiz
Ben Phillips
Billy Bob Thompson
Marc Thompson

Couple of things worth pointing out:

- The Japanese BGM music has been kept as is.

- Michael Liscio Jr isn't in the cast so it's possible Ted Lewis got the role of Corey back besides his usual role of Giovanni.

- Opening and ending songs have been replaced with a new one sung by Haven Paschall on not just the English track but also Japanese and even Chinese.

- Subtitles are English CC with no specific subs of any kind.

While I enjoyed the dub and the movie overall, I think there are a few thoughts on the dub.

- James Carter Cathcart really needs to step down as James VA. I always liked him as a replacement to Eric Stuart, but his performance here was simply not good
- Ed goldfarb needs to find singers other than haven Pascal to sing the Ed. His lyrics are also uninspired compared to John Loeffler's works and personally I won't miss him when he's gone from the dub.
- does Ted Lewis sound slightly different as Giovanni to anyone? I thought it was a different voice actor for a moment
- Brock's VA somehow sounds better than what it was in the sinnoh dub. Despite being the same VA
- Mewtwo's voice was on point.
- Misty's was unusual. They really should have went with a sound alike like they did with Brock
- while I enjoyed the non existent dub music in the movie, I have come to the conclusion that the original 4kids dub score for the movie is better than the original Japanese one. The Japanese one is, of course, fantastic. But 4kids score somehow fit the overall mood of the movie more appropriately and tears of life was far more effective as a heart-string puller than what I just heard

Overall, I enjoyed it and I hope the dub remains more consistent in regard to the new anime.

Original: "[Who am I? What is my true reason for being? I will find my own purpose...] But this is neither an attack nor a declaration of war...! Against all of you who brought me into this world, I will...strike back." (The part in [ ] might be inaccurate.)

4Kids: "Who am I? What is my true reason for being? I will find my own purpose...and purge this planet of all who oppose me. Human and Pokémon alike. The world will heed my warning. The reign of Mewtwo will soon begin."

TPCi: "Who am I? Where am I? Who wanted me to be created? Who asked for me to be created? I despise everything connected with my creation! And so, this is neither an attack, nor a declaration of war. You are the ones who created me. And I will strike back... against you!"

Last edited:
- They replaced my favorite line from Meowth:

"We do have a lot in common.
The same air, the same Earth, the same sky.
Maybe if we started looking at
what's the same instead of
always looking at what's different,

...well, who knows?"

To something completely random and unmemorable.

- Also for a moment, I assumed Ted Lewis wasn't voicing Giovanni as he sounded different, and less menacing.

- This the first time hearing Michele Knotz and Carter Cathcart singing as Jessie and James since taking over the role 13 years ago (not counting the Team Skull "rap" segment in Sun and Moon).

Last edited:
The Meowth line isn't random; it seems pretty close to the Japanese line. They should have blended the gist of the 4Kids line into it, though.

Based on what I've heard on this thread, it seems this version of the movie was translated more literally than the original one.

Is Mewtwo's epiphany at the end directly translated too? Because it was way better than the original in the the first movie's dub.

Based on what I've heard on this thread, it seems this version of the movie was translated more literally than the original one.

Is Mewtwo's epiphany at the end directly translated too? Because it was way better than the original in the the first movie's dub.
It's unchanged from the 4Kids dub: "I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

If the soundtrack has to be the same between audio tracks, I'm glad they went with an unaltered BGM at least (there is no song during the clone clash, either). The ending song is pretty good, too. I like that it's actually about Mewtwo rather than just being another feel-good song.

Last edited:
That's so fucking gross.
Yeah, on one hand I want to be like "baby steps," because just yesterday I would have expected a Goldfarb soundtrack on the dub and no Japanese version at all, but that is a really odd change.

Currently watching the dub, one of my favorite lines from the original was

Dr. Fuji: We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokemon, and we succeeded.

Wasn't surprised they changed it but it wasn't a bad change

I'm both fascinated and disgusted by the thought of the dubbed TRio Boat Song. Any thoughts/warnings not to before I am inescapably drawn to watching it?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom