• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how I'll feel if the movie is completely CGI. The Pokemon characters will look fine, but I don't know how some of the human designs will carry over to CGI, especially Ash. Plus, I really love the detailed 2D animation in the Pokemon movies. The scenery and animation for the past two movies in particular have been just great, so making it CGI just feels a bit strange to me off the bat. Once the first teaser trailer comes out, maybe that will make me warm up to the idea of a completely CGI Pokemon movie.

I think an updated version of the CG used in the first Best Wishes! opening would be neat to see. :) I hope this film has a bigger budget than its director's CG film Rudolph the Black Cat, which looks very direct-to-video to me.

I hope this film has a bigger budget than its director's CG film Rudolph the Black Cat, which looks very direct-to-video to me.

Let's also hope he doesn't screw up Pocket Monster as badly as he did Final Fantasy...:cautious:

I'm also worried about how the CGI is going to look on human characters. We've seen Pokémon in CGI before, so the thought of that's not really jarring. But thinking about human Pokémon characters that way, particularly Ash, is really weird.

I love the 2D art the Pokémon movies utilize. The last two in particular were especially gorgeous. They don't make very many 2D animated movies anymore, so the Pokémon ones are always a treat to look at, even if the plot is lacking. I am worried that the CGI is going to make the movie look more cookie cutter, in addition to potentially weird looking human characters.

I won't worry too much until I actually see how it looks, and I am a little intrigued by the idea since it's never been done in a Pokémon movie before, but I am holding my breath a bit.

I'm also worried about how the CGI is going to look on human characters. We've seen Pokémon in CGI before, so the thought of that's not really jarring. But thinking about human Pokémon characters that way, particularly Ash, is really weird.

I love the 2D art the Pokémon movies utilize. The last two in particular were especially gorgeous. They don't make very many 2D animated movies anymore, so the Pokémon ones are always a treat to look at, even if the plot is lacking. I am worried that the CGI is going to make the movie look more cookie cutter, in addition to potentially weird looking human characters.

I won't worry too much until I actually see how it looks, and I am a little intrigued by the idea since it's never been done in a Pokémon movie before, but I am holding my breath a bit.
This is basically how I feel as well. I really can't seem to picture in my head what a CGI Ash would look like, so that has me intrigued but also slightly worried. It could be really jarring, but it all depends on the budget of the film and how much attention they put in developing the human characters. I appreciate that they are willing to try something new and taking a bit of a risk (as it could potentially turn a lot of fans off). Really looking forward to the first trailer.

Also, I think it's pretty cool that 2019 will be the year where we will have both the first official live-action Pokémon movie and the first 3D Pokémon anime movie.

I like the style of the CGI Doraemon remake movie, which was more successful (8.38 billion yen) than any Pokemon movie. It was also pretty faithful to the source, as far as I know.

Neo Blaze said:
Also, I think it's pretty cool that 2019 will be the year where we will have both the first official live-action Pokémon movie and the first 3D Pokémon anime movie.
That is probably a calculated move.

Also the first Pokemon game that will be completely different from the rest. the Pokemon company keeps saying it will be an evolved Pokemon game so I am expecting better graphics then Let's go.

Same. Pokemon movies usually look beautiful, with the CG bits being the biggest exception. They're always the weakest point visually. My interest is at zero now, though I can't say I have much interest in remakes to begin with.

Can't help but wonder if they're thinking "this'll be big in America" since Hollywood loves CG and remakes....

Also the first Pokemon game that will be completely different from the rest. the Pokemon company keeps saying it will be an evolved Pokemon game so I am expecting better graphics then Let's go.
Eh. Ishihara said that once, and his words were "it will have better graphics than any prior Pokémon game, be completely new and not like Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee." Completely new just means that it won't be a remake.

Better graphics are to be expected, but let's not compare it to what the two movies are doing.

I am not excited for this movie because:

1) If it is a retelling of the orginal story with some changed elements, that is just lazy writing

2) I am sick about Mewtwo, got too many focus both games and animé. And poor Mew, only M1 and M8.

3) If the evolution means upgraded graphics, NO. If it means ME for Mewtwo, it is WAY TOO LATE.

4) I dont have anything against that animation style as it has a good story. I would like the artstyle of XYZ or M21.

Eh. Ishihara said that once, and his words were "it will have better graphics than any prior Pokémon game, be completely new and not like Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee." Completely new just means that it won't be a remake.

Better graphics are to be expected, but let's not compare it to what the two movies are doing.

Oh, to be honest when I heard the title was going to be Mewtwo strikes back Evolution, I thought it meant that Mewtwo was going to have a new form in the film. But now I think with the CGI it means the entire film will be an evolution in art. I still think Mewtwo will get a new form but the Evolution also seems to apply in terms of art too.

3) If the evolution means upgraded graphics, NO. If it means ME for Mewtwo, it is WAY TOO LATE.

They are not going to promote a form that is 7 years old, usually the films are meant to promote new Pokemon and forms. We are probably getting a new form for Mewtwo or maybe even a new evolution or a new Pokemon (Mewthree?) to promote the upcoming Pokemon switch games that will come out later that year.

1) If it is a retelling of the orginal story with some changed elements, that is just lazy writing

Can't be considered lazy writing if they're gonna reuse a script that wasn't all that great to begin with.
tenor.gif

Even with the script credit given, I don't know if it's that likely for this movie to be a remake of the first movie. People thought that the previous two movies would be retellings of the first season and the second movie respectively, but that clearly didn't happen. Granted, there is a bit more evidence for this claim compared to the previous two movies, but I'd just need more solid confirmation after fans were so sure that the previous two movies would be remakes, especially I Choose You.

If it does turn out to be a remake, I wouldn't say that's automatically lazy writing. It can be, but trying to adapt the first movie's concept or the unused script to feature new elements doesn't automatically sound lazy to me.

I'm not thrilled to bits at the idea of a 3D Pokemon movie but wth, they're trying something new, it might be great. After all, if someone said to me "Pokemon movie, but kinda Ghibli" I'd have said "Nah."

The script is far more intriguing at present. Like, Shudo-- WHAAAA?! His being credited at least means this Mewtwo should have the same origins story, I am trying not to hope that someone thinks to adapt the important bits of the radio drama (surely they would have given it a look over in the planning of this film?!). I would like to think it also means we'll get the original cast but M20 proved that that is really too much to hope for. I wonder which Satoshi will be in this film, will it be Movie Hat Satoshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom