• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another thing I just thought about...

They'll have to do something really different because of the the runtime since they don't make Pikachu Shorts anymore.
Take away "Pikachu's Vacation" and "Mewtwo Strikes Back" is about 75 minutes long. The fact PokeMovies are longer now than they were in the early days is thing about it...:cautious:

First poster has arrived:
DvhZk-7VsAANGz4.jpg

Nothing too eventful but for CG standards Mewtwo doesn't look too bad. It'll be a make or break for me in terms of the animation quality since I honestly don't know what to expect from the first all CG film in the series.

I'm annoyed at Mewtwo suddenly being a movie character again, but I will keep an open mind. The past two movies have been pleasant surprises (Well, I Choose You! kinda does suck but it was better than the movie before it). The Power of Us did have Lugia once again, but Lugia was not as equal of a character than that of Zeraora, so Mewtwo may be central to the storyline, but won't have a huge part in the movie.

But I motion to vote Ed Goldfarb off the island for the music in the U.S. movie dub.

Why do I have this feeling that Ash won't be featured in the movie?

That would be a surprising twist, but I doubt it. Ash is the main character and has been featured in every movie. Even with the previous movie featuring a large cast, Ash still had a pretty prominent role, so I'm pretty sure that Ash will still be in the movie. I just don't know how he'll look with a CGI design.

On the one hand, there's no reason not to expect Satoshi to be in this, but on the other hand there wasn't any reason not to expect Kasumi and Takeshi to be in M20 and look how that turned out...

I'm very apprehensive about this. The switch to 3D animation is sad, because even if it looks fine I'm so sick of the current trend in the US of most/all kids animated movies being done in 3D, and Pokemon is always a nice breath of fresh air in that sense. Especially because of how gorgeous this past year's animation was. As for what this movie will actually be, I could totally see them redoing M01 with some extensions for runtime. I could also see them doing a completely new film only loosely tied to the first film's themes and ideas. I could see it being a middle-ground, a M20 thing where it starts similarly but diverges, or some entirely different thing. Say what you will about the new trend in these movies, but I've never been more curious about them.

I can't stop thinking about Dogasu's theory about how this could potentially be aimed at international audiences, due to the fact that it will premiere 20 years after the dub of the first movie, how it's in 3D animation (which is more popular in the west), etc. It's an interesting thought, and could you imagine if they used dub names for everything and re-wrote the script to incorporate the dub edits? Or had Miyazaki re-compose the dub music? :p

All I know is if the Rocket trio is in this, I hope to god they look better than they did in Let's Go Pikachu! / Let's Go Eevee! -- especially Musashi's hair!

Doubt it could be worse than he does in SM

I actually like Ash's SM design. It helps to make him a lot more expressive and capture his upbeat attitude quite nicely. I just don't know how well his design will transfer to a CGI model.

On the one hand, there's no reason not to expect Satoshi to be in this, but on the other hand there wasn't any reason not to expect Kasumi and Takeshi to be in M20 and look how that turned out...

I think that those situations are a bit different though. Ash is the main character, while Misty and Brock hadn't been featured in the anime for years. It was still a reasonable assumption to think that they were going to be featured in I Choose You, but I don't think it was an absolute guarantee like Ash being in the movie. I'm not sure why they wouldn't feature Ash in this movie either. Even within a brand new movie continuity, they still have Ash as the main lead, so I can't really see them making a Mewtwo movie without Ash being there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom