• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
For this movie, I'd definitely like it if it involves Ai-two and Dr. Fuji from beginning to end for the duration of the movie with a complete story revolving around their relationship with Mew and Mewtwo - that would be interesting. A complete, movie-length lore that expands on the first movie.

Last edited:
For this movie, I'd definitely like it if it involves Ai-two and Dr. Fuji from beginning to end for the duration of the movie with a complete story revolving around their relationship with Mew and Mewtwo - that would be interesting. A complete, movie-length lore that expands on the first movie.
Ambertwo dying early on is a critical component of Mewtwo's development. There are ways to expand on the lore (a longer prologue) without heavily rewriting the movie.

Ambertwo dying early on is a critical component of Mewtwo's development. There are ways to expand on the lore (a longer prologue) without heavily rewriting the movie.
Maybe, but if it is going to include most of the established prologue and still keep the focus on cloning, I doubt there'd be a need for a drastic overhaul. Besides, the majority of people who know Pokemon that aren't fans are probably still aware Mewtwo is a clone - a fresh take on the controversy of cloning and warning of technology abuse could make an excellent children's sci-fi film that's relevant to modern technology. It would also be interesting to see if they include changes in perspectives about what defines life in the present day VS how it was in the 90s.

Admittedly, I've been sick of all the nostalgia pandering marketing all these years (and Kanto-centric focus from Pokemon) . But seeing the recent Bumblebee movie done in 80's retro-style (both thematically and emotionally) actually being damn good, I've changed my mind about nostalgia marketing. Maybe it is not so bad - given that it is done right, of course.

Last edited:
I'm generally very optimistic when it comes to the Pokemon anime but even I have my limits. Remaking the first movie with CG is a terrible idea. I'm not saying I won't watch it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The worst part is I can almost understand why they're doing it. Many people don't realize just how many times the first film was re-edited and even reanimated so this may be their attempt to just start from scratch. Personally my preferred choice is still the 90 minute cut that included the prologue and retold the first episode of the show. As far as I know that version has only ever been released on Japanese VHS. (Which I own!)

I went over Shudo's blog a few days ago, and I believe he said that "fighting is wrong" is something Ash would say without realizing the so-called contradiction to his own way of life. Except the fighting in the movie isn't competitive at all but rather meaningless and dangerous, and that is wrong. Also, he neither liked nor hated the song.

Personally my preferred choice is still the 90 minute cut that included the prologue and retold the first episode of the show. As far as I know that version has only ever been released on Japanese VHS. (Which I own!)
If they go back to the original continuity, which they should, then that 1-minute "Satoshi's Journey" feature should be extended to showcase how Ash met Misty, Brock and the three starters. He was reduced to just "Ash, the wandering trainer" in the last movie.

Last edited:
It would be lame if each trainer only used one Pokemon, and even more so if Ash were the only one holding back against Mewtwo. If nothing else, Mewtwo needs to have an army of clones.

Since this is a different continuity, if the movie is truly using some original script I wonder if there is any chance that anything from that bizarre trailer with a significantly older Misty could factor into this movie. I believe the assumption many have is that the movie was changed due to the show not ending after Kanto, but since this movie continuity can end and contains a different Ash, potentially the movie could be written in the way it was originally intended if in fact that was an ending to Ash's story (I don't even want to speculate about that trailer, I'm sure we've all seen lots of different interpretations). Anyway, it would be interesting to have a concrete answer to what that trailer was actually all about, and if the original script was some sort of finale it could have potentially been more exciting or interesting.

Since this is a different continuity, if the movie is truly using some original script I wonder if there is any chance that anything from that bizarre trailer with a significantly older Misty could factor into this movie. I believe the assumption many have is that the movie was changed due to the show not ending after Kanto, but since this movie continuity can end and contains a different Ash, potentially the movie could be written in the way it was originally intended if in fact that was an ending to Ash's story (I don't even want to speculate about that trailer, I'm sure we've all seen lots of different interpretations). Anyway, it would be interesting to have a concrete answer to what that trailer was actually all about, and if the original script was some sort of finale it could have potentially been more exciting or interesting.

Not sure they'd want to end the films so soon. I mean sure, if we do see a creator shifting post SM the guy might want to set it up to go back to the old film style, but i am not sure the higher ups would want that. Both the last films have done better than the older new ones.

Not sure they'd want to end the films so soon. I mean sure, if we do see a creator shifting post SM the guy might want to set it up to go back to the old film style, but i am not sure the higher ups would want that. Both the last films have done better than the older new ones.

Kanto nostalgia and Pokémon movies go well together. However, I don't think that other regions have that nostalgia factor. Mewtwo vs. Mew and Pokémon 2000 are undoubtedly the two most memorable movies. Therefore, this and the fact that SM is a worthless series to make Pokémon movies about are the reasons why I'm positive that the old formula will return in Gen 8.

Last edited:
I actually don't like how the Kanzenban of Movie 1 loads so much of its exposition to the front of the film; it's like 20 minutes before we get to the movie's title screen! If Movie 22 is indeed a remake of Movie 1 then my personal wish would be for them to start the movie with Mewtwo waking up in the lab (so, same as the original theatrical cut) and then sprinkle in the "Birth of Mewtwo" stuff throughout the rest of the film via flashbacks.

I agree. They should show flashbacks from Mewtwo's perspective (with his Ambertwo memories being hazy until the climax - remember the tears connection?), but also extend Dr. Fuji's video journal that TRio watched. It would be potent if Jessie heard her mom's name mentioned and found some memento from her in the credits.

Last edited:
A thought just occurred: there's a possibility we'll get to see Genesis Supernova in this movie. It'll likely be the only chance to showcase this Z-Move as Mew rarely ever appears in the anime. Marshadow performed its Z-move in M20 without a Trainer, so that wouldn't be a problem here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom