• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

If this is indeed a 1:1 remake, then meh. Not really a huge fan of the first film to begin with. :confused_emoji:
I had hoped that this would still be still set in the alternate universe timeline of the previous 2 films but oh well.
Imo, the Pokémon still look okay in CGI but the human cast in CGI leaves much to be desired.

But I am curious to see if TPCi will keep the original storyline for the film instead of using the "fighting to the death is wrong" moral that 4Kids used.

Last edited:
I'm actually kind of surprised that people are excited over Misty and Brock being in the movie. Putting aside the art style for the moment, I thought that people would be thrilled to see them featured in a new movie. There was so much backlash towards Movie 20 when they weren't included, which still felt like a bit much to me, and a lot of people assumed that movie was going to be a remake/retelling of the first season too. I know that the situation is a bit different and the art style doesn't help matters either, but the thought still crossed my mind.

Although, I don't know how I feel about this myself. The Pokemon look fine in CGI, but the humans definitely look like toys, especially Ash and his friends. Part of it could just be how I'm not used to seeing them in CGI, so it may grow on me after seeing another trailer, but the human designs do leave something to be desired. I'm also a bit disappointed that it is turning out to be a remake. Since everyone assumed that the previous two movies would be remakes, I didn't think that would happen with this movie, even though there were a couple of key signs for this movie being a remake more so than the other ones. It does make me really hope that they aren't going to make every movie CGI like this one though.

I think it's also just a bit disappointing because the previous movies have been so great in my opinion. I Choose You is easily at least my second favorite Pokemon movie and The Power of Us was really solid too. They were both good and refreshing Pokemon movies, so the next movie being a remake of the first one feels a bit backwards to me. Granted, we don't know if it is just going to be a shot for shot remake just yet. All of the shots from the trailer were pretty much from the first movie too, but they'll have to include something new. They are going to feature some kind of Pokemon from the upcoming games in the movie somehow. I'm still hoping for the movie to turn out good and enjoyable, but this trailer does leave me with mixed feelings. On the bright side, TPCI could potentially make a more faithful dub of the first movie through this remake, which would be pretty neat.

Ouch this looks worse than I feared it would, the characters look like plastic toys. I don't know who they are targeting here, because I feel like Pokemon anime fans like anime and so I feel like they are appealing to a pretty limited crowd, considering they are going for nostalgia with a group that is bound to be pretty split (if not worse) by this art style. Really weird decision, I guess I'll probably sit through it once its on Pokemon TV just to see what it was like, but not excited about this one at all.

If there could be only ONE good thing to come out of this movie, it's that TPCi could possibly throw out 4Kids' terrible adaptation and rewrite it from scratch. I would happily lose the Pokemon mis-identifications, that "Krabbys" joke and the ham-fisted 'fighting is wrong' moral.

I hope that they fix some of the human faces or that they look better in motion. The Pokemon and Fuji look decent in my book, while the scenery (especially the jungle) is impressive. I don't mind an experiment after 21 years.

I'm glad that the original characters are back instead of being replaced for shameless promotion, but it's really Amber that I want to see again. If one thing could make this remake worth it, it's a full adaptation of the radio drama. Not a new Pokemon just to be trendy.

They are going to feature some kind of Pokemon from the upcoming games in the movie somehow.
Just replace Donphan with a new Pokemon and call it a day, and maybe show Giovanni use Armored Mewtwo against something other than Gary's Arcanine and Nidoking. The big merchandise placeholder was for Armored Mewtwo, and a new Pokemon would barely stand out during the clone fight.

If there could be only ONE good thing to come out of this movie, it's that TPCi could possibly throw out 4Kids' terrible adaptation and rewrite it from scratch. I would happily lose the Pokemon mis-identifications, that "Krabbys" joke and the ham-fisted 'fighting is wrong' moral.
The Krabbys joke was in the Lugia movie. This movie gave us that bizarre Minnesota Vikings sports team
reference.

If they reuse the Japanese score from M01 then we might finally get a dub with that in it as well.

Just replace Donphan with a new Pokemon and call it a day, and maybe show Giovanni use Armored Mewtwo against something other than Gary's Arcanine and Nidoking. The big merchandise placeholder was for Armored Mewtwo, and a new Pokemon would barely stand out during the clone fight.

I would hope that they do more with the eighth generation than that for this movie. A new Pokemon could stand out during the clone fight depending on how they incorporate it into the storyline. And is Armored Mewtwo actually confirmed? I heard a bit of rumors about something called Armored Evolution earlier today, but I don't know if that merchandise placeholder was confirmed yet. I am trying to avoid leaks about the games though.

It is most certainly confirmed. See attached.

The text under Mewtwo says "Mewtwo & Armored Mewtwo" in both instances. As far as I know, there is one more placeholder that is probably for Pikachutwo, which hasn't been revealed yet.

Attachments

• Armor.jpg
    Armor.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 117
I would willingly support a 1:1 remake including the questionable humans if they also remade Pikachu's Summer Vacation using the original score and finally gave us a soundtrack with those pieces on it. I've been waiting for the Freeing Charizard music (the iconic piece also used when the airship was drifting uncontrolled away from Valencia Island while Ash and Misty were sleeping inside) since I first heard it nearly 2 decades ago. I was also waiting for that one happy piece also from Pikachu's Summer Vacation that has been used many times in the Japanese version and only once in English (opening the episode where Dawn trains Togekiss), but that was played totally unobscured in the Japanese version of the tanned Joy episode.

The Krabbys joke was in the Lugia movie. This movie gave us that bizarre Minnesota Vikings sports team
reference.

Ahh, you're right. It's been that long since I sat down to watch either movie...

Hmm.

Well, for starters, I personally was super thrilled to see Brock and Misty. They're just my absolute favorite group, and after how jarring M20 was, I was concerned this would be a similar situation. I know that's a personal preference, but I'm very happy.

The CGI is...weird. I actually don't totally hate it...but it's definitely weird and it's going to take getting used to. The Pokémon actually look really good...it's the humans who are throwing me, which is pretty much what I was expecting. I'm okay with them trying it out in a movie, but I hope it doesn't become a constant thing. I said before that no matter how bad Pokémon movie plots can be, it's always nice to watch them strictly for the beautiful 2D art that gets put into the films. Everything is CGI nowadays.

As of right now, this really seems like a carbon copy remake. I agree this could be a good thing if the dub rectifies some of the goofy stuff they pulled in the first movie (which yeah still makes me laugh, that's my kind of humor truthfully...but I would like to see a new version that's closer to the original) but I do hope that they throw some new stuff in there as well, just to switch it up a bit.

Ash's teammates always been appeared in the past movies until movie 19 so I just hope that his classmates at least appear in this movie because they did not appear in the past two movies.

Hyped for the soundtrack. Hopefully Ai's backstory is included in the film.

In my opinion, Brock was the one that ended up looking the worst. At least the Pokémon models are alright (and not made by someone that likes nightmare fuel). Sad that it looks like a 1:1 remake, since they could have done some changes, like replacing the New Island Trainers' Pokémon. I'm kinda sad because that would also mean Donphan guy is going to get unchanged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom