• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so dissapointed in this movie right now. After 2 great movies, they just chose to scrap the ICY continuity in favor of doing a complete 1:1 copy of the first movie, except in CGI? Why??? This would have been such a fitting conclusion to the ICY timeline (especially if they would have done something similar to the 20th movie, where they took inspiration from the original, but told a somewhat new story, instead of just copying it almost to the letter).

But noooo. You just had pander to the genwunners, didn't you? :bulbaFacepalm:

I know this is just the first trailer and that it's too early to judge the movie, but man did this trailer make me feel the mode.

It seems this movie is going to be a even more inferior and pointless movie than I choose you, in terms of just copying what has come before.

In terms of the animation, the environments seem very impressive, but the Pokemon are pretty poor and distract the humans just completely unacceptably poor.

On the up side from what I heard the was different in someway from the original Japanese version so it means if the dub is more accurate this time

I liked to points from the last video which ar: Firstly that both Misty and Brock are in the movie and the design is really a 3d game design. All pokemons, Ash, Misty , Brock, Joy and all characters in the movie are from 3D Game Design. But I also hope to see Ash's classmate in the movie. ALSO 22 years for pokemon Anime And MOVIE omedatou

Well now it's official; the SM characters won't be getting their movie. A remake of the first movie would have felt more relevant back at #20, not now at #22.

Honestly, only thing that interests me in all of this is the idea of mixing the audio from the upcoming TPCi dub of Movie 22 with footage from Movie 1. Other than that, I'm ready to move on to the next generation.

The Pokemon look quite good, specially Meowth, which is as expressive as always. The backgrounds are great, and feel very immersive. The humans....well, there's just no way that anime characters in CGI don't feel like coming from a video game, so they tried to get around that by making their faces tridimensional and adding some volume to their hair, and it backfired. I can see that flaw lowering the mainstream interest of the movie dramatically.

Also...Misty and Brock! No number of appearances is enough for them, they deserve it. It would be unrealistic to ask for bigger roles for them, but small details like Togepi and Geodude getting clones would be nice.

From what I can tell, Japanese fans are less upset about the humans' designs than western fans are. They're used to this from Doraemon and Dragon Ball.

They're also more appreciative of the fact that Mewtwo's VA is back. Oh, and the following excerpt from the official site needs to be pointed out:

At long last, the complete, immortal masterpiece STRIKES BACK all over the world in full 3DCG the summer of 2019!!

Last edited:
Yep....unless they show something genuinely new in feature info, I'm skipping this one -_-

Also...Misty and Brock! No number of appearances is enough for them, they deserve it. It would be unrealistic to ask for bigger roles for them, but small details like Togepi and Geodude getting clones would be nice.

OMG, Misty and Brock are back to stand around and do nothing...IN CGI!

They're also more appreciative of the fact that Mewtwo's VA is back.

How do we know he's really back? :unsure:
For all we know they'll just a digitally remastered recording of sound track from the first time around. They're already using the old script, so may as well use the old audio if they're going to be that lazy.

Last edited:
What a shame TCPI didnt want to bring back Veronica Taylor for these movies while keeping Sarah Natochenny as Ash in the anime tv series

It would be good for TCPI to use this movie as a reunion movie to bring back Veronica as Ash, Eric as Brock and Rachael as Misy. I am, hoping Dan Green comes back as Mewtwo as well

Last edited:
Looking at 3D Ash I wonder is he left-handed there, or it is designers who have forgotten what his vest should look like in original version?

I just hope TPCi doesn't ruin Meowth's famous:

"We do have a lot in common. The same air, the same Earth, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of always looking at what's different, ...well, who knows?"

With his infamous catchphrases: "Oy Vey" "Ya dig" "You lugs"

Last edited:
How do we know he's really back? :unsure:
For all we know they'll just a digitally remastered recording of sound track from the first time around. They're already using the old script, so may as well use the old audio if they're going to be that lazy.
He says here that he's newly recalled his "Mewtwo soul" for this role.

Also, if they did reuse the old audio and it sounded good, big whoop? The voice actors would still get rightfully paid and no one but the most overzealous viewers would mind.

And this isn't aimed just at you, but I can't stand the assumption that the movie would be better if they trampled over a deceased writer's most famous work. Even Movie 20 didn't change the script for the first episode too much (Shudo didn't write the Charmander or Butterfree episodes), and what they did change in it was forced. Don't watch the movie if it doesn't appeal to you, but have some respect.

Looking at 3D Ash I wonder is he left-handed there, or it is designers who have forgotten what his vest should look like in original version?
Yuyama said (about Movie 20) that Ash's old vest and tucked in shirt were too old-fashioned for a modern movie. Specifically: His clothes are different and influenced by the design created by Sugimori. OS Ash has a different hat logo, larger jacket collar, thicker pants and his shirt is tucked in.

I guess that even though the old hat, Pokemon and companions are back, the clothes are non-negotiable. I barely notice the difference.

Last edited:
What a shame TCPI didnt want to bring back Veronica Taylor for these movies while keeping Sarah Natochenny as Ash in the anime tv series

It would be good for TCPI to use this movie as a reunion movie to bring back Veronica as Ash, Eric as Brock and Rachael as Misy. I am, hoping Dan Green comes back as Mewtwo as well

Since Veronica Taylor and Rachael Lillis live in California, I don't think that they'd go out of their way to bring them back for the movie when they have voice actors in New York for the roles. Eric Stuart seems to be more focused on his music more so than voice acting too. I like the 4Kids dub cast as much as the next person, but I'm not surprised that TPCI didn't bring Veronica Taylor for these movies despite being set in a different continuity.

Dan Green reprising his role as Mewtwo would be pretty neat. There is a slight possibility he could do that since he did reprise his role as Yugi in the recent Yu-Gi-Oh! movie. I wouldn't be too shocked if Mewtwo has a different voice actor though. Dan Green is most famous for his roles in Yu-Gi-Oh!, so getting him for an anniversary movie would be a pretty big deal for both him and fans. He isn't as well known as Mewtwo by comparison, especially when he only did the role for Mewtwo Returns, and he may not be as interested in returning to the role compared to voicing Yugi again. He still has the best chance of any of the 4Kids era dub actors being involved with this movie, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't even know what to say. It's like the directors/producers of the last couple of movies read fan complaints about the recent movies and had a "hold my beer" moment and decided to top themselves in making this year's film even more irrelevant than usual. A CGI copy of the 1st movie is just so bleh. Even Defective Pikachu looks better than this abortion of a movie.

Pokemon movies aren't meant to be remade. Not like this.

Best use of a Pokemon movie quote. EVER! I LITERALLY STARTED BUSTING UP LAUGHING!
I'm gonna be contrary to everyone here and say I like the designs for Ash, Misty, and Brock. The thing is it looks like Claymation and I could totally dig the designs if I see them in movement (running, walking, all that stuff)

Part of me wonders if they're doing this because of the next generation being based on the UK.. And because claymation is so popular out there.

It also reminds me of claymation.

I was hoping 3D would mean something similar to Final Fantasy human designs. I've never been a CGI fan outside of a few games that do it well... But I'm not giving up on this movie just yet.

CGI is so popular in so many places, especially Japan but also Pixar lovers that I'm not surprised by the design choice.

Still not sure if I'll pay money to see this in theatres or wait for it to debut on Disney XD as I know it will.

I'm gonna be contrary to everyone here and say I like the designs for Ash, Misty, and Brock. The thing is it looks like Claymation and I could totally dig the designs if I see them in movement (running, walking, all that stuff)

This is a really good point. It reminds me of SM: how a lot of people went crazy over the art style before seeing it in motion. While the art style of SM isn't everyone's cup of tea, it does look pretty great animated. I'm very interested to see how the human CGI models look when they're moving.

OMG, Misty and Brock are back to stand around and do nothing...IN CGI!

lol, I was about to say, have people forgotten that Misty/Brock don't actually do anything in movie 1? If this remake is a 1:1 for scene of the first movie without any changes or anything, Misty/Brock don't actually do anything but stand in the background making commentary the entire movie. Then in the climax when all the pokemon are being cloned or fighting, again, they're just in the background with the other trainers. The first movie was not kind to Misty/Brock at all, they got better roles in Movie 2 for Misty and 3 for both, but in this film they do zip. So I find the interest in Misty/Brock here a bit strange, other than them flat out not being gone like Movie 20...they don't actually do anything to hold an interest in them being here either. I guess besides seeing how the CG turns out...

So I find the interest in Misty/Brock here a bit strange, other than them flat out not being gone like Movie 20...they don't actually do anything to hold an interest in them being here either. I guess besides seeing how the CG turns out...
Are you saying it would be better if Ash had new companions that didn't do much? We had Movie 20 for that; they mostly just provided commentary and watched Ash die.

People are allowed to just want to see Brock and Misty again. Some want to see them one more time in SM as cameos during the league.

Last edited:
lol, I was about to say, have people forgotten that Misty/Brock don't actually do anything in movie 1? If this remake is a 1:1 for scene of the first movie without any changes or anything, Misty/Brock don't actually do anything but stand in the background making commentary the entire movie. Then in the climax when all the pokemon are being cloned or fighting, again, they're just in the background with the other trainers. The first movie was not kind to Misty/Brock at all, they got better roles in Movie 2 for Misty and 3 for both, but in this film they do zip. So I find the interest in Misty/Brock here a bit strange, other than them flat out not being gone like Movie 20...they don't actually do anything to hold an interest in them being here either. I guess besides seeing how the CG turns out...

There doesn't seem to be that much interest in Misty and Brock being in the movie, at least based on the reactions I've see thus far in this thread. More people seem too turned off by the human characters' CGI designs to get excited that they're included in a new movie. Although, that is a good point that Misty and Brock didn't really do anything in the first movie. If they are going to have this be a faithful remake, then Misty and Brock might not really have much, if anything to do.

I can still understand why people would be excited to see Misty and Brock in something new, especially a movie, but when the chances are pretty good that they're just going to be in the background, then that's not really anything to get too excited over. That's a big reason why I didn't mind that they weren't in I Choose You. They would have been on the sidelines just like Ash's new friends because the story was centered around him. At least their appearances in SM actually put them on center stage and show what they've been doing after leaving the main cast. Still wanting more of Misty and Brock outside of SM is understandable, but I don't know if a remake of the first movie is going to give them anything to do or do anything to appeal long time fans besides more fanservice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom