1. Interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff? See details here.
  2. The forums are going to be down this weekend (tentatively Saturday the 19th) for maintenance as we upgrade the software to XenForo 2. Particularly of note is that blogs are going to be removed for the time being, but we are getting a lot of new features with the upgrade.

For more details, see this thread.

PREVIEW: M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Discussion in 'Pokémon Anime and Manga' started by Alola Adventurer, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Jared DiCarlo

Jared DiCarlo Grovyle Fan

Blog Posts:
    I agree that we should have a movie with the Sun and Moon characters. It would be so cool if they did that.

On-topic, I wonder who the English dub will have as the voice of Mewtwo. Will they get Phillip Bartlett or Dan Green back, or will it be someone different?

GuyWhoTellsTruth likes this.
  2. Johtohfiller

Johtohfiller Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm wondering that too. Cue the "Mewthree" rumors.

All CG would kill my interest. Do you think it would hurt the movie with Japanese audiences if they go that route?

3. GuyWhoTellsTruth

GuyWhoTellsTruth Member

Blog Posts:
    They'll probably not bring Jay Goede/Phillip Bartlett back, imo, but they could bring Dan Green back (which I thought Dan all things considered did a very good job in the part for a fill in, supposedly Goede was hard to work with at the time and a bit mean at the time, so he said back then they didn't approach him for that reason for Mewtwo Returns- Goede is my favorite dub Mewtwo to this day but I get why they couldn't use him under those circumstances). To my knowledge, though, Dan Green hasn't been much doing much work for the Pokemon dub post the BW era dub days, however.

I'm going to assume they'll just cast someone new in the part, myself (Mewtwo has like 4 English dub VAs now, this would make 5 if it occurred- Jay Goede in M01, Dan Green in Mewtwo Returns, Miriam Pultro in Genesect & The Legend Awakened, while finally Christopher Corey Smith in the Detective Pikachu game, albeit I'm aware Pultro voiced the female version in M16).

4. Unown Seer

Unown Seer What now?

Blog Posts:
    Frozen and other Disney/Pixar movies have been very successful there (more successful than recent anime movies not called Your Name). Stand by Me Doraemon, a CGI nostalgia-driven movie, is the most successful Doraemon movie at 8.38 billion yen.

NeoMiniTails likes this.
  5. EscLucy

EscLucy Cake and bunnies pls

Blog Posts:
    Just because some movies didn't do so well doesn't mean they can skip Alola. Movies like the BW ones were the fault of the writers not creating a good plot. It would be really interesting to see an Alola movie because there is already a classroom setting in the regular anime and it would be cool to see how they spin that in a movie.

6. Unown Seer

Unown Seer What now?

Blog Posts:
    Not only can they skip Alola, their decision to do so is paying off. Movie 21 is currently doing about as well as its predecessor, which did better than any of the XY movies.

Is there any reason to think that an Alola movie would have attracted more people? Nope.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  7. HiroHunter

HiroHunter Member

Blog Posts:
    Wow. I mean I hate the SM anime and even I think it should get even just one movie.

8. FinnishPokéFan92

FinnishPokéFan92 The ocean is my Cloyster.

Blog Posts:
    It's not about the quality of the main anime. The XY series is highly praised by many, and yet, its movies are still often regarded as some of the worst ones in the franchise. They're making movies in a separate timeline to give the storytellers and writers more freedom while designing the setting, the characters, and, of course, the story, in hopes of thus improving the quality of the overall product. And it's working.

NeoMiniTails and SinnohEevee like this.
  9. Unown Seer

Unown Seer What now?

Blog Posts:
    I don't hate the SM anime at all. This isn't about anyone's selfish preferences.

10. SinnohEevee

SinnohEevee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    The BW and XY movies were trash, their writing qualify was poor, and most of them had recycled plots. Though I also wasn't too fond of M20. Maybe I don't care that much about Kanto and the OS.

11. Gligarman

Gligarman Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Now I don't want them to necessarily bring back Ai, but it would be really interesting if at the very least they had a scene where Mewtwo acknowledged her somehow. That whole sequence from the Japanese version of the first film remains one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise. If you've never seen that scene in Japanese I highly recommend it. The use of Shinji Miyazaki's iconic score is used brilliantly.

12. L-05308

L-05308 Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Is there a way to visit an alternative universe where there are 3 Sun and Moon movies instead of reboot rubbish?

Karalala and GuyWhoTellsTruth like this.
  13. FinnishPokéFan92

FinnishPokéFan92 The ocean is my Cloyster.

Blog Posts:
    I'm afraid not. And I don't see these movies as "rubbish". They're actually pretty good, at least compared to the worst movies of the preceding years.

Also, I don't see how a Sun & Moon movie would've been any better than these relative successes.

In other words: you're being rude. Please stop.

NeoMiniTails likes this.
  14. Gligarman

Gligarman Active Member

Blog Posts:
    After 20 years of "misunderstood giant angry Pokemon breaks things until cute Pokemon changes its mind" I'd say the production staff have earned the right try something different. Even if that means going back to the show's roots.

15. GuyWhoTellsTruth

GuyWhoTellsTruth Member

Blog Posts:
    They already did kind of go back to the show's roots with M20, though, M22 is just another attempt by the production staff to do that, at first glance. I think they could've at least given the SM group one film for themselves, but that doesn't seem likely at this point. Based on what Dogasu said, at least M21 is more unique and won't just be another retelling, so I'm more interested in Everyone's Story than the other two this saga as a result, imo.

16. Gligarman

Gligarman Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Either way, I've always wanted them to bring back the original Mewtwo so whatever they offer I'm willing to give it a chance. Plus I think it's better this way in general. Otherwise we have the same situation we had in the previous shows where they'd introduce a legendary Pokemon in the movies and then when they appeared in the show they have to act like they've never seen them before. I'd rather they just leave the game adaptations for the TV show. It seems to be working so far for Sun and Moon.

Unown Seer likes this.
  17. GuyWhoTellsTruth

GuyWhoTellsTruth Member

Blog Posts:
    Not that I disagree the old formula was getting stale, but I do think the SM gang deserved a film at least: that said, I can see your point of view over the matter I suppose.

18. martianmister

martianmister マーシャンミスター

Blog Posts:
    Actually it's the perfect choice to have a Mewtwo movie for 2019 and it has nothing to do with Kanto pandering:

1. They need to promote LGPE and it's the first movie released after it. It's now time to promote Kanto and Mewtwo is probably gonna have a big role in LGPE's storyline.

2. It's the probable finale of OS-AU trilogy and they need to end it with a big bang. Mewtwo is a good choice as it was the most powerful pokemon of OS.

19. Gligarman

Gligarman Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Admittedly it would be cool to see Sun and Moon with movie production values, especially considering how great the animation already is in the show.

GuyWhoTellsTruth likes this.
  20. Unown Seer

Unown Seer What now?

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully they'll use a higher budget for the Necrozma arc. Didn't they do that for Team Flare?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.