• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thought of Dragonball Evolution?
How so? A friend of mine compared this movie to the upcoming Dragon Ball one, since both Mewtwo and Broly are getting a third movie (that isn't a sequel, most likely). Mewtwo is getting the non-canon treatment, while Broly is the opposite for the first time.

The fact that they didn't do this in the 20th anniversary of the movie bugs me to no end. Of course, LGPE is to blame again.

Anime Mewtwo's story doesn't need much polishment compared to Game-Mewtwo, but I guess this deserves a chance. I wonder how it will impact Giovanni's role in the Necrozma arc.

CGI...Well, every year's movie is a gimmick movie now, so it was going to happen eventually. Personally, I think Pokemon's trainers and humans don't translate well into CGI. For example, LGPE has nice graphics but...would you see a movie in that style?

How so? A friend of mine compared this movie to the upcoming Dragon Ball one, since both Mewtwo and Broly are getting a third movie (that isn't a sequel, most likely). Mewtwo is getting the non-canon treatment, while Broly is the opposite for the first time.

Just thought it's funny that the title sounds similar to an infamously bad movie.

I don't approve of full CG, hope that's not what they're going for.

Nostalgia pandering once again: can't say I'm ecstatic for this, really. We're falling into a new "formula" with the latest films- remakes or allusions to prior Movies, whereas the old formula was criticized for "Ash meets a legendary, befriends it, meet the villain, they save the day," etc. I can't say I like the change they've made to it since this is creating a new predictable formula to me instead. M21 is probably going to end up the most actually unique/creative film this Generation, sadly.

There's also the unfortunate consequence of this being that if Gen 7 lasts three years like the last two gens, the Sun & Moon cast won't get a Movie for their era of the Anime. :(

As for the dub for M22 when we get there, well, looking forward to my hero Ed Goldfarb's sick Garage Band tunes, TPCi replacing >90% of the Japanese music in the film as per SOP since the XY dub began to the present day, the usual "acting" they do (if you can call it that), Mewtwo being recast to yet another VA (if they don't use Dan Green), and TR's dialogue to be as annoyingly rewritten into alliterations, gibberish, and "Dig it" slang as ever.

And the million dollar question, are Brock and Misty going to appear in this movie? :D:LOL:

But in all seriousness, this Mewtwo reboot should've been M20 instead of what they went with last year.

But in all seriousness, this Mewtwo reboot should've been M20 instead of what they went with last year.
I respectfully disagree. I think it made perfect sense to celebrate the anime's big anniversary with a retelling of how it began, not something that came later.

The movie's title makes me think that it might contain some gimmick which will probably be used in the 2019 game. Mewtwo introduced mega evolution too now that I think about it.

Also considering these reboot movies have not been similar to their original counterparts at all bar few pokemons, I doubt this will have anything to do with the first movie despite the name.

I've personally had enough. We've had enough nostalgia with the upcoming release of LGPE. Please can we have a Sun and Moon movie?!! All the other regions have had movies and I think it would be interesting to see how the movie develops as it is a classroom setting in the anime. This Kanto nostalgia is getting really annoying for me and I would prefer the movies to showcase Alola even though USUM was released ages ago.

I've personally had enough. We've had enough nostalgia with the upcoming release of LGPE. Please can we have a Sun and Moon movie?!! All the other regions have had movies and I think it would be interesting to see how the movie develops as it is a classroom setting in the anime. This Kanto nostalgia is getting really annoying for me and I would prefer the movies to showcase Alola even though USUM was released ages ago.
I actually heard a pretty nice analysis a couple days ago, where it was mentioned how the movies after the original series had made worse and worse box office records in Japan, with the Volcanion movie hitting the all-time low. Hence why creating this alternate timeline which is not restricted by the confines and settings of the current elements of the main series may have been an attempt at revitalizing the Pokémon movie industry, and given how relatively good reception movie 20 got (at least compared to the movies preceding it), I'm pretty sure that it's actually working. And I personally have nothing against it.

Besides, Alola is a small region. I don't think you could even plausibly place a movie to work on an environment with such limited and obvious borders, unlike the other, more continent-like regions.

They could have created an Ultra Space movie, but the show will tackle that instead with Necrozma. If you don't like how they do that, there is no guarantee you would have liked a movie version better. The Zygarde arc is considered better than any of the XY movies.

I actually heard a pretty nice analysis a couple days ago, where it was mentioned how the movies after the original series had made worse and worse box office records in Japan, with the Volcanion movie hitting the all-time low. Hence why creating this alternate timeline which is not restricted by the confines and settings of the current elements of the main series may have been an attempt at revitalizing the Pokémon movie industry, and given how relatively good reception movie 20 got (at least compared to the movies preceding it), I'm pretty sure that it's actually working. And I personally have nothing against it.

Besides, Alola is a small region. I don't think you could even plausibly place a movie to work on an environment with such limited and obvious borders, unlike the other, more continent-like regions.
While I understand the movies weren't doing great, which is why M20 exists to some extent, I still just wanna see Sun & Moon on a theatrical film budget.

This movie will come 2 months after Detective Pikachu, so it will share most of its promotion period with it. Comparing the CGI versions of some Pokemon will be either fun or unfair depending on your view...

I respectfully disagree. I think it made perfect sense to celebrate the anime's big anniversary with a retelling of how it began, not something that came later.

It would have been perfect this way:

2017: I Choose you-Anime's 20th anniversary, introduces a new era of movies.
2018: Mewtwo Strikes Back evolution- First movie's 20th anniversary, continues the Kanto theme, makes people excited for Mewtwo in LGPE.
2019: Everyone's story-Second movie's 20th anniversary, a relaxed generation-less movie to pass time while we wait for the next generation.

I actually enjoyed movie 20 more than any of the XY ones tbh.

Yup! As much as I love the SM anime, I've personally been really excited about the latest few Pokémon movies and am especially excited for this one. While I liked most of the XY movies' settings (Hoopa and Magearna's come to mind), the actual plot and story never grabbed me and I found them to be very forgettable. In my eyes, this nostalgia trip is very welcome. ='p Can't wait!

So a proper movie 1 remake and apparently with CGI than your average Pokemon film interesting. When this comes to North America, I really do have to wonder how the story will be handled this time since 4Kids I'm aware kinda butchered the original story quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom