• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that we should have a movie with the Sun and Moon characters. It would be so cool if they did that.

On-topic, I wonder who the English dub will have as the voice of Mewtwo. Will they get Phillip Bartlett or Dan Green back, or will it be someone different?

'Evolution'? Are we getting another Mewtwo form?

I'm wondering that too. Cue the "Mewthree" rumors.

• In the extremely unlikely event that this movie is *shudders* all CG then that could be another way they're pandering to American audiences. Japan has this idea that America has completely given up on 2D animated films (and, to be fair, what was the last one to get a theatrical release in the U.S.?) and so making a film that looks like a modern-day American animated film could be a way to get Movie 22 some extra attention.

All CG would kill my interest. Do you think it would hurt the movie with Japanese audiences if they go that route?

On-topic, I wonder who the English dub will have as the voice of Mewtwo. Will they get Phillip Bartlett or Dan Green back, or will it be someone different?
They'll probably not bring Jay Goede/Phillip Bartlett back, imo, but they could bring Dan Green back (which I thought Dan all things considered did a very good job in the part for a fill in, supposedly Goede was hard to work with at the time and a bit mean at the time, so he said back then they didn't approach him for that reason for Mewtwo Returns- Goede is my favorite dub Mewtwo to this day but I get why they couldn't use him under those circumstances). To my knowledge, though, Dan Green hasn't been much doing much work for the Pokemon dub post the BW era dub days, however.

I'm going to assume they'll just cast someone new in the part, myself (Mewtwo has like 4 English dub VAs now, this would make 5 if it occurred- Jay Goede in M01, Dan Green in Mewtwo Returns, Miriam Pultro in Genesect & The Legend Awakened, while finally Christopher Corey Smith in the Detective Pikachu game, albeit I'm aware Pultro voiced the female version in M16).

All CG would kill my interest. Do you think it would hurt the movie with Japanese audiences if they go that route?
Frozen and other Disney/Pixar movies have been very successful there (more successful than recent anime movies not called Your Name). Stand by Me Doraemon, a CGI nostalgia-driven movie, is the most successful Doraemon movie at 8.38 billion yen.

All movies from now on are likely to follow their own continuity to allow more possibilities for the story. The movies that followed the main series haven't been doing too well in the past few years.
Just because some movies didn't do so well doesn't mean they can skip Alola. Movies like the BW ones were the fault of the writers not creating a good plot. It would be really interesting to see an Alola movie because there is already a classroom setting in the regular anime and it would be cool to see how they spin that in a movie.

Not only can they skip Alola, their decision to do so is paying off. Movie 21 is currently doing about as well as its predecessor, which did better than any of the XY movies.

Is there any reason to think that an Alola movie would have attracted more people? Nope.
Wow. I mean I hate the SM anime and even I think it should get even just one movie.

Wow. I mean I hate the SM anime and even I think it should get even just one movie.
It's not about the quality of the main anime. The XY series is highly praised by many, and yet, its movies are still often regarded as some of the worst ones in the franchise. They're making movies in a separate timeline to give the storytellers and writers more freedom while designing the setting, the characters, and, of course, the story, in hopes of thus improving the quality of the overall product. And it's working.

Now I don't want them to necessarily bring back Ai, but it would be really interesting if at the very least they had a scene where Mewtwo acknowledged her somehow. That whole sequence from the Japanese version of the first film remains one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise. If you've never seen that scene in Japanese I highly recommend it. The use of Shinji Miyazaki's iconic score is used brilliantly.

Is there a way to visit an alternative universe where there are 3 Sun and Moon movies instead of reboot rubbish?
I'm afraid not. And I don't see these movies as "rubbish". They're actually pretty good, at least compared to the worst movies of the preceding years.

Also, I don't see how a Sun & Moon movie would've been any better than these relative successes.

In other words: you're being rude. Please stop.

After 20 years of "misunderstood giant angry Pokemon breaks things until cute Pokemon changes its mind" I'd say the production staff have earned the right try something different. Even if that means going back to the show's roots.

After 20 years of "misunderstood giant angry Pokemon breaks things until cute Pokemon changes its mind" I'd say the production staff have earned the right try something different. Even if that means going back to the show's roots.
They already did kind of go back to the show's roots with M20, though, M22 is just another attempt by the production staff to do that, at first glance. I think they could've at least given the SM group one film for themselves, but that doesn't seem likely at this point. Based on what Dogasu said, at least M21 is more unique and won't just be another retelling, so I'm more interested in Everyone's Story than the other two this saga as a result, imo.

They already did kind of go back to the show's roots with M20, though, M22 is just another attempt by the production staff to do that, at first glance. I think they could've at least given the SM group one film for themselves, but that doesn't seem likely at this point. Based on what Dogasu said, at least M21 is more unique and won't just be another retelling, so I'm more interested in Everyone's Story than the other two this saga as a result, imo.

Either way, I've always wanted them to bring back the original Mewtwo so whatever they offer I'm willing to give it a chance. Plus I think it's better this way in general. Otherwise we have the same situation we had in the previous shows where they'd introduce a legendary Pokemon in the movies and then when they appeared in the show they have to act like they've never seen them before. I'd rather they just leave the game adaptations for the TV show. It seems to be working so far for Sun and Moon.

Either way, I've always wanted them to bring back the original Mewtwo so whatever they offer I'm willing to give it a chance. Plus I think it's better this way in general. Otherwise we have the same situation we had in the previous shows where they'd introduce a legendary Pokemon in the movies and then when they appeared in the show they have to act like they've never seen them before. I'd rather they just leave the game adaptations for the TV show. It seems to be working so far for Sun and Moon.
Not that I disagree the old formula was getting stale, but I do think the SM gang deserved a film at least: that said, I can see your point of view over the matter I suppose.

Actually it's the perfect choice to have a Mewtwo movie for 2019 and it has nothing to do with Kanto pandering:

1. They need to promote LGPE and it's the first movie released after it. It's now time to promote Kanto and Mewtwo is probably gonna have a big role in LGPE's storyline.

2. It's the probable finale of OS-AU trilogy and they need to end it with a big bang. Mewtwo is a good choice as it was the most powerful pokemon of OS.

Not that I disagree the old formula was getting stale, but I do think the SM gang deserved a film at least: that said, I can see your point of view over the matter I suppose.
Admittedly it would be cool to see Sun and Moon with movie production values, especially considering how great the animation already is in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom