• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M22: Mewtwo's Counterattack Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current theory is that this film is being made so it will be a breakout hit with Americans. It's not a very strong theory and this could all end up be me looking too deep into things but:
  • The "The Legend is Back" text that appeared on screen is in both Japanese *and* English. That tells me that they're going to want this teaser passed around English language sites when it's finally posted online a few months from now.
  • The English version of Movie 22, if past years are any indication, will probably come out sometime around November 2019. Guess what else is in November 2019? The 20th anniversary of the release of the Mewtwo Strikes Back dub.
  • In the extremely unlikely event that this movie is *shudders* all CG then that could be another way they're pandering to American audiences. Japan has this idea that America has completely given up on 2D animated films and so making a film that looks like a modern-day American animated film could be a way to get Movie 22 some extra attention.
Of course every one of these points could be struck down immediately and I'll be eating my words in a few months' time. But still...it's not *impossible*, right...?

Nice theory but..July teasers and December teasers have never been dubbed, right?

Also, I'm sure they are aware of the fact that the West is already getting their own movie in May.

(and, to be fair, what was the last one to get a theatrical release in the U.S.?)

There's one coming in a couple of weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised if it outgrosses the original Mewtwo movie.

Nice theory but..July teasers and December teasers have never been dubbed, right?
That could change and Dogasu was talking about the Japanese teaser being watched by western fans.

Also, I'm sure they are aware of the fact that the West is already getting their own movie in May.
They'd be six months apart. Isn't that enough? One will have several stars and a gimmick as a selling point, while the other relies on nostalgia.

For what I've heard, Ash was only petrified, not killed, in the First Movie, so I guess those tears maybe... rehydrated him or something? It's still stupid, I know, but at least this way, it doesn't sound as "magical".

We’re talking about a series where there are creatures that breathe fire, spew water, manipulate things with their minds, electrocute things, can freeze stuff and so on.

Having “magical” tears filled of life isn’t that much distant. I mean, what if those tears were filled with aura, with each Pokémon sharing a bit of their auras? The Lucario movie showed that aura can heal, so maybe that happened.

Having “magical” tears filled of life isn’t that much distant. I mean, what if those tears were filled with aura, with each Pokémon sharing a bit of their auras? The Lucario movie showed that aura can heal, so maybe that happened.
I thought it was easier to handwave than Ash's resurrection in Movie 20, which was unrelated to Ho-Oh.

That said, it would be nice if they removed that scene as "faux death" is a concept that has been rehashed 8 whopping times by now.

As a hardened hater of those kind of scenes... I find it hard to imagine they'll do a rehash of this movie without a translation of that scene...

So... what new bells and whistles can Mew and Mewtwo get for the new movie? Maybe a new form? (*sigh* since there's 'evolution' in the title and all that).
There’s also supposed to be a new Pokemon in LGPE. Could it be related to Mewtwo in some way?
If so the new Pokemon could end up being an important part of the movie.

Mew is so popular? Compared to what?

Last edited:
It placed third on the 2016 poll, but if that meant anything this would movie feature Arceus (or Genesect or even Meloetta) instead of Mewtwo. It was a poll for a movie distribution.

They could squeeze three legendaries into one movie, but my guess is that the new one will have a bigger role than Mew.

They are getting many new movie of other Pokemon except of sun and moon movie.
They should first make an s and m movie
M21: lugia of other region
And next one is of mewto which is the first Pokemon movie's pojemon

I loved M20, but I really wish they toned down with the nostalgia pandering. Just how long are they going to carry on with the "20th anniversary" excuse? It looks like they're trying to attach "20th anniversary" to every single thing they can find and they'd still find something from Kanto to celebrate the 20 years long past the actual anniversary celebrations - and then sooner or later there's going to be a "but its the 30th anniversary soon", probably from year 26 or 27 and justify the continuation of the Kanto pandering.

This is just me, but I'd love to see an alternative telling of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, though. Heck, with all the Kanto pandering for the past several years, I'd be glad with some Lucarios all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom